Quantcast

Zhuris's Content

There have been 45 items by Zhuris (Search limited from 24-September 23)

Sort by                Order  

#1279627 Anyone in here play dota?

Posted by Zhuris on 18 April 2010 - 05:11 AM in General Chat

I have a couple of times, and didn't like it. TDs are (were) much more my thing.

#1278056 Armored Neggs

Posted by Zhuris on 14 April 2010 - 04:19 AM in Neopet General Chat

I wouldn't count on it. If TNT released other cheap neggs for HP/Str/Maybe Level, then the price would almost certainly rise. At the moment though, things seem to be following the same slow inflation that all neggs have been following.

At the moment (For example), Green Festival Neggs are 9k a piece, and give 4 tokens at the neggery. Armoured Neggs cost 16 tokens, which is 4*9k = 36k. Even if the SW price did rise, they'd be a cheaper alternative and the market would return to equilibrium pretty quickly.

Armoured Neggs will only really go up in price if the majority of other neggs do so at the same time.

#1261888 Hello!

Posted by Zhuris on 05 March 2010 - 10:55 AM in Introductions

Welcome to Neocodex - I would say enjoy your stay, but it sounds like you already are ;)

#1261230 Hello! Need some advice

Posted by Zhuris on 03 March 2010 - 06:52 AM in Introductions

Auction sniper sounds interesting, but I just had a look now and it's not particularly helpful that the only info they give for time left is "< 30 mins" :/

That shouldn't be a problem if you make requests regularly enough (But not suspiciously often..). Presuming the Neopets auctions always report the correct time bracket (Eg, "< 30 mins"), you can tell when an auction will end when you catch it switch brackets. For example:

Auction ID 154902135 (Nothing special, just picked it out at random) is in the bracket "30 min - 2 hours" when you checked at 14:48. When you check at 14:49, however, it's in the "< 30 mins" bracket. You can then conclude the auction will end sometime around 15:18.

I've never tested a system like this out, but it'll work in theory. I hope.

#1248352 Notification when you're quoted

Posted by Zhuris on 17 January 2010 - 02:48 AM in Forum Suggestions

Doesn't solve the problem is someone simply asks you a question in a thread without quoting you, so it may be easier to simply check the threads you've posted in recently manually anyway.

But as long as it's a checkbox option (I don't like getting spammed by other users' actions.. I'm looking at you, Facebook), then this sounds like a good enough idea.

#1248351 Annoying Problem

Posted by Zhuris on 17 January 2010 - 02:40 AM in Neopet General Chat

Nobody really gets hacked, it is always user error (unless somebody broke into Neopet's servers to steal info)

Damn, you beat me to it. And anyone who did actually hack in, I'm sure they wouldn't be interested in NP :p

scapegoat, try checking any other E-Mail addresses you have to be sure someone else has control. The only other option I know of is to contact TNT to report that someone else currently has your account. I'm not sure what they'd do in this instance, but it's probably worth a shot if you have no other options left.

#1246791 The Lab Ray Topic

Posted by Zhuris on 11 January 2010 - 01:07 AM in Neopets Chit-Chat

My pet just got zapped Speed +2!

My pet just got zapped Strength +2!

#1246787 What the hell is this?

Posted by Zhuris on 11 January 2010 - 12:30 AM in Neopet General Chat

I just haven't been IP banned yet because I'm using my home computer :whistling:

Nothing to see here, kind members of Neocodex (We come in peace)

Frank, if you give away your identity once more I'm demoting you to the score review team. Is that what you want, really?

What line? No, ignore those pixels above, probably just your monitor on the fritz. Did someone say ice cream?

#1246784 Fountain Faerie

Posted by Zhuris on 11 January 2010 - 12:24 AM in Neopet General Chat

If you think 500k isn't reasonable, then you really need to read what a FFQ actually does.

500k for getting a Pirate/Mara/Island pet, etc? Doesn't sound too shoddy to me. Or paint a buzz, if you want the avatar.

#1246571 Snowneo [OFFICIAL] Avatar SS List

Posted by Zhuris on 10 January 2010 - 05:19 AM in Neopet General Chat

I don't think so, cows. The review score is based (Or should be based) on scores that would typically hard to get. The NP ratio does nothing to change the in-game score or how hard the game is, just the reward.

#1246564 What the hell is this?

Posted by Zhuris on 10 January 2010 - 04:54 AM in Neopet General Chat

I doubt TNT would really put too much effort into finding an account whose owner visits a site that allows people to download.. stuff.. without knowing whether Frank uses them himself. But I'd argue there's still more than enough there to get him filtered down pretty quick if they really wanted to.

You might be surprised how much you can still see in that image ;)

[Edit] In case anyone actually wanted the question in the OP answered, it's Neo's fault, not yours. It's just trying to load an image from the images50 subdomain, which isn't public. It seems that image isn't even needed, given that it's winter Keyquest at the moment.

#1246562 The Lab Ray Topic

Posted by Zhuris on 10 January 2010 - 04:47 AM in Neopets Chit-Chat

My pet just got zapped Color Christmas!

My pet just got zapped Strength -3!

#1246450 The Lab Ray Topic

Posted by Zhuris on 09 January 2010 - 12:42 PM in Neopets Chit-Chat

My pet just got zapped Color Zombie!

#1246405 Spam or Not?

Posted by Zhuris on 09 January 2010 - 08:27 AM in General Debate

No, and neither is this post.

postcount++;

#1246390 Mac or PC?

Posted by Zhuris on 09 January 2010 - 06:48 AM in General Debate

If you're dead set on having a computer that looks pretty (Having hobbies such as setting money alight, giving thieves your PIN and cards, or dropping it down the drain all help), get a Mac.

If you're sensible, get a PC. Apple will rip you off for everything they can. No matter how much you pay Apple, they still don't let you choose what hardware you actually want (Unless it's the worst value for money, in which case they're happy)

#1246373 The Lab Ray Topic

Posted by Zhuris on 09 January 2010 - 03:38 AM in Neopets Chit-Chat

My pet just got zapped Strength +2!

#1246214 The Lab Ray Topic

Posted by Zhuris on 08 January 2010 - 11:40 AM in Neopets Chit-Chat

My pet just got zapped Strength +3!

My pet just got zapped Strength -2!

#1246212 Do humans have free will?

Posted by Zhuris on 08 January 2010 - 11:30 AM in General Debate

Why not? The worst that can happen is someone disagrees. (Or you say something very illegal and end up being ass-raped with a cattle prod by the CIA, but that's a whole different story). I can see how the basic idea of eugenics appealed to the people (and scientists) of the time. But that's why things like determinism and the pure scientific approach are dangerous things. Because rationaly speaking, there's no logical reason why we shouldn't execute the disabled, the criminals and other 'undesirables'. See World War II.

Anything where people disagree has the potential to start a flame war. I don't get involved with them (And try my best not to cause them), and I'm not negatively affected by them as such. But they can very quickly take a thread off-topic and locked. Once that's happened, the question the OP asked has been stifled because some people can't agree to disagree over the internet. That means ruining someone else's thread, which I don't wish to do.

Also, please define undesirable :) Who gets to decide who's undesirable and who isn't? The person in power.. which opens up the whole politics can of worms - on a thread that was originally intended to be a discussion about free will, people will possibly end up throwing profanity and offensive remarks around because of someone else's political views.

I see nothing wrong with discussing ideas and concepts that might seem morally ambiguous, but that doesn't stop others from getting offended if things get off-topic and escalate too much.

#1246210 Snowager! is fast asleep.

Posted by Zhuris on 08 January 2010 - 11:08 AM in Neopet General Chat

It clears the referral header. The browser can't send information it no longer has.

Not true, I'm afraid. I have a file on my local server with the phpinfo() function, and using the safelink.php redirection kept the referrer header with Chrome. Not such with Firefox and IE, though. This just illustrates my point that it's down to the browser to decide what to send as headers. Whether or not it listens to web pages, the browser still has the final say. Now all I have to do is trawl through internet standards and find out what *should* happen.

[Edit]Went through RFC2616 a bit. Can't seem to find a definite answer, but I think it's leaning towards the idea that the header could be providing sensitive data to a 3rd-party site. So it looks as if FF and IE are on the better track. It strongly suggests allowing the user to control whether or not it is sent.

Regardless, expecting all browsers to follow internet standards is a stupid thing to do, even if it would be more ideal.

Attached Thumbnails

• referrer.png

#1246205 Do humans have free will?

Posted by Zhuris on 08 January 2010 - 10:44 AM in General Debate

I did take psychology and sociology and determinism is horribly out of date. It's psychology, not hard science, so it really can't say anthing about neurological processes (in fact it was conceived ages before decent neuroscience was even possible). It depends on how you want to see the world, of course, but most psychologists have moved on from determinism a long time ago. Be careful with theories like that. It's one of the predecessors of eugenics.

Do you know of something that would better describe my beliefs? I've not really known them by any name - I just believe every single event is triggered strictly by cause and effect, with no exceptions and no deviations. I'm a very science/maths-type person, which is probably the basis of this.

As for eugenics.. it's probably not a good idea for anyone to discuss that on an open internet forum. Needless to say, I'm strongly against it.

Slightly off-topic post, sorry.

#1246191 Snowager! is fast asleep.

Posted by Zhuris on 08 January 2010 - 10:02 AM in Neopet General Chat

Yep your wrong sorry

if you mouse over the adresses youll see "safelink" in the title - meaning the codex header wont be shown ;)

Yeh why not? saves me 3 mins of searching around the site....?

From what I know, there is no guarantee of that. It's the browser that decides what to send as the referrer header. The previous page may be able to mess around with that, but it's still the browser's decision of what to send. I'd be interested in seeing the source for that safelink.php, however. Anyone got it?

#1246183 Do humans have free will?

Posted by Zhuris on 08 January 2010 - 09:46 AM in General Debate

As far as I believe, we don't have a single ounce of the stuff. You can understand the reasons behind choosing to do something, but you can't actually choose it in the first place. You brain and the neurons within, obey the laws of physics the same as everything else. Cause and effect.

There must have been a reason that neuron fired - you didn't "choose" for it to do that, it did that because of the other stuff happening in the brain. You go back far enough and it'll be your senses. Each thing just triggers the next, and you can't change this in any way. You can feel like you made a choice - but really, whatever happened was the only possible outcome. Why? Because that's what happened. It couldn't have happened any other way, simply because it didn't.

This is probably quite relevant: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Determinism

I don't take psychology or philosophy or anything along those lines, but I believe that link describes the way I see everything.

Determinism is the view that every event, including human cognition, behavior, decision, and action, is causally determined by an unbroken chain of prior occurrences.[1] Determinists believe the universe is fully governed by causal laws resulting in only one possible state at any point in time

-Zhuris

#1245868 The Lab Ray Topic

Posted by Zhuris on 07 January 2010 - 01:52 AM in Neopets Chit-Chat

My pet just got zapped Health +5!

#1245558 The Lab Ray Topic

Posted by Zhuris on 06 January 2010 - 02:34 AM in Neopets Chit-Chat

My pet just got zapped Speed -2!

My pet just got zapped Level +2!

#1244751 The Lab Ray Topic

Posted by Zhuris on 03 January 2010 - 03:44 AM in Neopets Chit-Chat

My pet just got zapped Defence -2!