Photo

Anyone familiar with virtualdub?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

I've tried posting on their website but no replies so far in a week -_- But I was hoping if anyone can help me with the settings of this encoding I was doing.

The film is a 2.25gb .mkv foreign film. 154kb subtitles. What I decided to do is hard-code it with subtitles using Xvid. Now the problem was at first I think quantizer was at maximum quality which inflated the original file size to 5.05 I think. My question is how can I really find a way to find the correct range so my encoded comes out about 2.25gb and not any higher? If I'm typing this wrong please tell me.

#2 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

i'd just try playing around with the settings... i think the thing is you save it as avi & not mkv anymore, but that's as far as virtualdub gets, right? :(
maybe you want to try 'any video converter', it includes the subs as wel, plus its a free program

Edited by AliceFi, 28 December 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#3 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

Can you not use "Direct Stream Copy"?

#4 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

i'd jus try playing around with the settings... i think the thing is you save it as avi & not mkv anymore, but that's as far as virtualdub gets, right? :(

i'd jus try playing around with the settings... i think the thing is you save it as avi & not mkv anymore, but that's as far as virtualdub gets, right? :(

yea I've been playing around with the settings for a day or two now but still can't find the appropriate target size I'm looking for

Can you not use "Direct Stream Copy"?

I don't think you can use direct stream copy when I'm trying to convert the .mkv file to .avi, and also adding hardcoded subtitles.

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

I don't think you can use direct stream copy when I'm trying to convert the .mkv file to .avi, and also adding hardcoded subtitles.

I've never tried to convert mkv in vdub :p Unlucky =/

#6 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:06 PM

I've never tried to convert mkv in vdub :p Unlucky =/

bleh lol i must be the unfortunate one *twiddles thumbs
It's easy to convert it, you'll just need to add the plugin to the Vdub folder.

i'd just try playing around with the settings... i think the thing is you save it as avi & not mkv anymore, but that's as far as virtualdub gets, right? :(
maybe you want to try 'any video converter', it includes the subs as wel, plus its a free program

hmm well i actually just downloaded ImTOO Video Converter Ultimate 6, and it WAS working good but the license key seemed to stop working. Maybe it would be worth to just get it legit. it's probably the best converter I've used.

#7 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:17 PM

hmm well i actually just downloaded ImTOO Video Converter Ultimate 6, and it WAS working good but the license key seemed to stop working. Maybe it would be worth to just get it legit. it's probably the best converter I've used.

any video converter IS also good, and it's free - you can't get any better imo
i use it to convert videos onto my little cell phone, and it's working like a charm, even with softsubs
you can use it to convert it back to mkv as well, which will prob keep your 2GB limit
just try really ;) it wont do you any harm

#8 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

any video converter IS also good, and it's free - you can't get any better imo
i use it to convert videos onto my little cell phone, and it's working like a charm, even with softsubs
you can use it to convert it back to mkv as well, which will prob keep your 2GB limit
just try really ;) it wont do you any harm

Hmm well I will def look into it (: but as for the mkv I'd rather have it avi so I can play it on the ps3. But hows the end product after the conversion? because the rip I currently have is labeled as a 720pHD

And I just dled the any video coverter pro so ill see how this works out tonight

Edited by dk8932, 28 December 2010 - 04:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users