7 replies to this topic

#1 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

My question is two part.

Is it even worth my time to find emulation software for running windows on a mac?

If yes, name your favorite software for doing so.
If no, explain how you would get around buying a copy of windows to install via bootcamp.

I've already tried VirtualBox, but the problem with it (as compared to say, WINE on a linux machine) is that it requires you to install (from CD or ISO) a copy of windows. So I would be emulating, but I would still have to own a Windows OS for each generation of games I want to play. This is a problem, because I want to play games from a wide variety of Windows generations, some of which are no longer available for sale.

Any help would be appreciated :)

#2 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

In order to install windows on a [virtual] machine, you must own a license for that particular version. If this is a problem, then virtuablbox, parallels, or any other virtual machine software is out of the question. Your best bet at that point is to install platform specific applications for each individual OS. If you've got some DOS games, check this one out: http://boxer.washboardabs.net/.

The easiest way would be to acquire whichever version of windows you need and tune a virtual machine to be able to run it. Unfortunately, the platform specific emulators are rare.

#3 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

Just get Windows 7. All games from prior generations will run on it.

#4 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

Because Windows 7 can itself emulate older PC generations?

And I assume by 'acquire' you do and do not mean 'find' one on the internet.

#5 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

Yes. Windows 7 is fully backwards compatible with all previous generations of windows. Something that Apple cant claim. :p.

I said, Get. but yes. There is stuff on the internet somewhere that you could possibly get windows 7 without killing your pocket.

#6 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

I mean acquire. Interpret it however you want :p.

Windows 7 does have emulation mode. Give it a try. I have no idea how well it actually works, but it's worth a shot. May be worthwhile to try it before you buy it to see if it actually does what you want.

Something that Apple cant claim. :p.

I don't think you know what you're talking about here :p.

#7 Phineas

Phineas
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:33 AM

Backwards compatibility is both a blessing and a curse. Very useful for the end user but it means that the system ends up including old code, which is more likely to be....problematic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users