Photo

Your Dream Job

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Haven't you ever had a dream job? Maybe when you were a kid you wanted to be a Lego builder or Formula One driver....or was that just me?

*crickets chirp*

OK. Maybe you wanted to be a princess or a superhero or a ballerina or a wrestler. Whatever.

For me when I was a kid I wanted to be the stuff mentioned above. Now I would love to be an author. I find writing very enjoyable and I have lots of ideas. I wrote a "book" in like 6th grade which was a lot of fun and right now I write fanfiction on and off.

But, being a successful author is impossible so when I grew up I wanted to be a graphic designer or a video editor but my parents shot that one down because "you're not good enough" "it doesn't pay good" "you won't find a job" blahblahblah. Anyways, now they're forcing me into computer science (before that they also wanted me to be a doctor, an optometrist, a psychologist, a kinesiologist, an engineer etc etc) -_-

So, anyone else like me? Anyone in a job (or going towards a job) they hate and have these great dreams that will probably never happen?

#2 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

I had a lot of dreams. Now I'm in reality so I'm just gonna settle for 6 figures. My dream, probably building smarthouses off the beach.

#3 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

But, being a successful author is impossible

I think successful authors would argue with that. My brother's friend is just about to be published actually, has now quit his job to pursue it full time because his publishers have commissioned two more books. It's just a lot of hard work and patience. :p

Anyway, I've wanted to be a violinist in some capacity since I was about 7 and come July 2011, I'm an orchestral violinist.

#4 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

OK. Maybe you wanted to be a princess or a superhero or a ballerina or a wrestler. Whatever.

I want to be a princess-wrestling superhero disguised as a ballerina. That sounds pretty awesome.

#5 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

I wanted to be a Gladiator like on TV and run around in a giant hamster ball. That is, when I wasn't busy being an astronaut or farmer or author or F1 driver or...whatever else I wanted to be.

Now...I don't know. I used up all my ambition back then.

#6 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Realistically, pharmacist. Only downside is that the job gets a little repetitive but what job doesn't

If we're going with fantasies, professional learner. So much interesting stuff out there, would love to go from like school to school taking a couple classes at a time. 30 hour work week, 6 figure income

#7 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

I want to be a princess-wrestling superhero disguised as a ballerina. That sounds pretty awesome.

LOL XD

@ali: Your friend is so lucky! I know someone who can't find any publisher to publish her book or at least no one that suits her "requirements." Is finding a publisher hard?.......I get in trouble by my parents for "wasting time writing fanfictions instead of doing homework" all the time -_- I give myself the title "undercover author" because I have to write my stuff in secret now o.0

@lychee: yay! More F1 driver fantasies!

And I've never heard of a professional learner o.0

Edited by Kuro, 11 January 2011 - 03:40 PM.

#8 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

Dream job? I'd love to be able to make a living racing cars, but that's incredibly difficult to do. Even the guys I know with long histories in motor sports can't do it..

I'm going to 'settle' with opening a speed shop in the future. Doing the work behind going fast is something I'm almost as passionate about, and I can always promote the business out on the track or strip.

"you're not good enough" "it doesn't pay good" "you won't find a job"

There's a good chance that people who tell you this are miserable doing what they do.

Edited by Seaner, 11 January 2011 - 03:49 PM.

#9 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

There's a good chance that people who tell you this are miserable doing what they do.

There's also a fairly good chance that they're right, too :p

#10 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

Really? I usually find the people who say this to be simply parents.

#11 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

LOL XD

And @ali: Your friend is so lucky! I know someone who can't find any publisher to publish her book or at least no one that suits her "requirements." Is finding a publisher hard?.......I get in trouble by my parents for "wasting time writing fanfictions instead of doing homework" all the time -_- I give myself the title "undercover author" because I have to write my stuff in secret now :p

He didn't find it too hard I believe. He sent his stuff to a few literary agents first who had experience with representing his genre and then they do a lot of the legwork for you and are also noticed a bit more because they have pre-existing connections. They know the publishers that are more likely to be interested and more suitable for each individual work. There are even literary "consultants" before the agency stage who will asses your manuscript and give editorial advice. It takes a fairly professional approach rather than a "I've finished, I'll send it to all and sundry".

I think that the main difference between most aspiring authors and published authors is the time and effort they put in. My brother's friend now sits down and tries to write 1000 words a day, every day. Of course, time is a bit of a luxury but there's nothing to say that anyone can't do the same thing with a much smaller word limit. Use a spare few hours here and here to note down all the main ideas you have so that there's a fairly detailed plan in place that can be added to as you progress and then write 200 words a day. That's hardly any time at all each and you'll have a completed first draft within a year.

#12 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

Astronaut

#13 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

When I was younger, I wanted to be an engineer. I always love building stuff and figuring out how things work. I still do, however, I would never be an engineer now.

I wanted to be a businessman. NeoCodex, Neopets, and The Apprentice are actually what sparked this. When I was in 4th grade I made money selling school supplies to students cheaper than the school did. They used the extra money they got from their parents for snacks.

Now, I am a businessman. I have my hands involved in several projects and and always looking to expand.

I'm majoring in MIS and Finance in a well ranked business school and I have connections to a few people high up at firms. So most likely, I'll be involved in companies technology and investment deals.

My real dream job would be to work in the skateboarding scene. I'd love to work for Element or DC or something. I've always loved skating and think it would be sick to be a part of the process there.

#14 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

My dream job would be a Juche dictator of a major country, like Kim Jong-Il but more powerful. Unfortunately that will likely never happen. I do want to join the French Foreign Legion or be a mercenary captain.

#15 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

@Ali: That's so cool! Unfortunately I have no time to write every day :( Heck, I don't even have time to plan. I've got 4 fan fics in progress in my head. 2 of which I have started to write during lunch time and boring english classes (Yeah. I'm an aspiring author who hates english class.) >_> I also have an idea for my book but that's been on hold for like 3 years....

#16 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

My dream job would be a Juche dictator of a major country, like Kim Jong-Il but more powerful. Unfortunately that will likely never happen. I do want to join the French Foreign Legion or be a mercenary captain.

I spoke to an ex-legionnaire and he basically said if you have the money to own a computer and the time to use it you shouldn't be joining the FFL

Also I think a white supremacist ideology would undermine the esprit de corps that the FFL is based upon

"Article 2
Each legionnaire is your brother in arms whatever his nationality, his race or his religion might be. You show to him the same close solidarity that links the members the same family."

#17 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

@Ali: That's so cool! Unfortunately I have no time to write every day :( Heck, I don't even have time to plan. I've got 4 fan fics in progress in my head. 2 of which I have started to write during lunch time and boring english classes (Yeah. I'm an aspiring author who hates english class.) >_> I also have an idea for my book but that's been on hold for like 3 years....

You've got time for Codex. :p You only need 15-20 minutes a day which I'm convinced the majority of people still in school can find. Harder once you're juggling a career and family but I teach violin to a few adult learners who all worried about finding enough time to practise and if you sit down and plan out your day carefully, even people with the most hectic of lives can usually find a little extra time for something they love.

If you want to be an author, you're going have to write first and I think it's a terrible shame to let anything stop you from something that can be achieved.

#18 Pirates

Pirates
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

I wanted to start a business empire then expand into the government and take it over C: or a Mob leader o.o
My crazy fantasies :D

#19 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

I spoke to an ex-legionnaire and he basically said if you have the money to own a computer and the time to use it you shouldn't be joining the FFL

Also I think a white supremacist ideology would undermine the esprit de corps that the FFL is based upon

"Article 2
Each legionnaire is your brother in arms whatever his nationality, his race or his religion might be. You show to him the same close solidarity that links the members the same family."

I'm not a white supremacist. I'm a white nationalist. It's a pretty big difference- you wouldn't consider a Kurdish nationalist in Iraq a 'Kurd Supremacist', would you? They and we are simply attempting to gain autonomy or recognition of our rights and cultures.

And I have and have had many friends who aren't white. Arabs, Jews, Indians, and a few blacks. I think I could handle a handful of Algerian comrades-in-arms.

Edited by Nunc, 11 January 2011 - 04:33 PM.

#20 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

I'm not a white supremacist. I'm a white nationalist. It's a pretty big difference- you wouldn't consider a Kurdish nationalist in Iraq a 'Kurd Supremacist', would you? They and we are simply attempting to gain autonomy or recognition of our rights and cultures.

And I have and have had many friends who aren't white. Arabs, Jews, Indians, and a few blacks. I think I could handle a handful of Algerian comrades-in-arms.

You think white countries are superior to non-white countries and basically want to expel all non-white people from america. You rank jews #13 and I'm getting muslims a low number as well. I believe indians were #9. With orthodox at #1. I'm pretty sure that makes you racist

#21 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

You've got time for Codex. :p You only need 15-20 minutes a day which I'm convinced the majority of people still in school can find. Harder once you're juggling a career and family but I teach violin to a few adult learners who all worried about finding enough time to practise and if you sit down and plan out your day carefully, even people with the most hectic of lives can usually find a little extra time for something they love.

If you want to be an author, you're going have to write first and I think it's a terrible shame to let anything stop you from something that can be achieved.

Codex is different. I type a few lines. Submit it and go back to work. Then, when I feel like it I check back and repeat. If I were to start my fan fic chapter now I wouldn't stop until the chapter was completed :p

Edited by Kuro, 11 January 2011 - 04:40 PM.

#22 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

You think white countries are superior to non-white countries and basically want to expel all non-white people from america. You rank jews #13 and I'm getting muslims a low number as well. I believe indians were #9. With orthodox at #1. I'm pretty sure that makes you racist

Racist? No, I'm a race realist. Have you heard of 'r/K parenting? It's getting a lot of interest in scientific circles these days, coming across as a big shock, etc. etc. when it juts proves what we've been saying all along. That there are real, biological, and quantifiable differences between the races.

Now, I may dislike Jews or blacks as a sum total of a race, but certain individuals hailing from these groups have proven themselves both bearable and even fun to be around. So I hang out and deal with them. Which doesn't mean that 90% of Jews or Muslims wouldn't be frankly unbearable. The exception proves the rule, as they say :)

EDIT: Here's the link- http://en.wikipedia....election_theory

Edited by Nunc, 11 January 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#23 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

ugh. Racism. I have a english presentation about it tomorrow worth 15% of my mark (why I hate english class)

#24 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

Rushton's research has been criticized by fellow psychologist and peace studies researcher David P. Barash,[21] and an article in the Journal of Black Studies challenges many of his claims.[22] Evolutionary biologist Joseph L. Graves, another critic of Rushton, argues that not only is r/K selection theory considered to be virtually useless when applied to human life history evolution, but Rushton himself does not apply the theory correctly, and displays a lack of understanding evolution in general.[23] Graves also states that the sources for the biological data gathered in support of Rushton's hypothesis were misrepresented and that much of his social science data was collected by dubious means. Other scholars have subsequently argued against Rushton's hypothesis on the basis that the concept of race is not supported by genetic evidence about the diversity of human populations.[24]

Dems jews must be at work suppressing this

#25 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

All theories are debatable. You know, back in the day, Pythagoras' cult of mathematics executed folks who believed that the square root of 2 was irrational, because it went against their beliefs. We've obviously progressed from that age of barbarism these days; nonetheless, the mainstream often bands up to deny and try to refute any theories that go against its entrenched beliefs. Look what happened to Alfred Wegener when he proposed tectonic drifting- he was blacklisted and expelled from his Geologic society.

Not everything denounced by the mainstream is wrong ;)

Edited by Nunc, 11 January 2011 - 05:06 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users