Quantcast

If you don't speak English, stay the hell out of America, seriously!

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#126 JL3

JL3
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

That is all good and well and I'm so super happy that you got sponsored but it has nothing to do with the original point of this thread or the point that you were replying to in your post.

I was talking about motivations to learn a language in response to Frizzle.

Edited by JL3, 20 February 2011 - 06:26 PM.

#127 Las3rs

Las3rs
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

That is all good and well and I'm so super happy that you got sponsored but it has nothing to do with the original point of this thread or the point that you were replying to in your post.

It has a LOT to do with the quoted post actually...

#128 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

Heh, I have a Tiger Mom. She'd kill me if she found out I waste my time on this shit. Posted Image

Oh, and here was an example from my year:
If x-1=2, what does x equal?
a) 3
b) 4
c) 6
d) 8
e) 12

Oh gosh darn it *scratches head* How come these people never put the right answer in there? No matter what I do, I keep getting 42. Because 42 is the ultimate answer, the answer to the universe *mumbles* Really have to educate the people setting these exams.. *shifty eyes*

#129 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:57 AM

So the only motivation to learning another language is if you move to another country... ?

This is actually quite a big problem in a few countries. Here in the UK very few people actually learn languages because they feel English is enough. The government recognises this as an issue at least for future business, funnily enough last summer I went on a government sponsored programme to go to another country and learn the language and culture.

This is about immigration, intergration and culutral stigma, not buisness. Please read/lurk more.

#130 equitatus

equitatus
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

Thats a little harsh,...

Learning language is hard ESPECIALLY for older people.
So that would mean old people will never get a green card in the US?

#131 Roxi

Roxi
  • 499 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

Meh. Everyone looks to the US as an escape from their problems, but let's face it-this country is pretty screwed up, too! If you're going to live somewhere, you should speak that country's language. End of story.

New story. I have had my own experiences with people who couldn't speak English. I used to work at a hardware store, and this man came in there one day asking for "Chero". Honestly, it took me an hour to figure out he wanted sheet rock. It sounded to me like he was asking for Cheerios. Posted Image So yeah, I support this wholeheartedly.

#132 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Meh. Everyone looks to the US as an escape from their problems, but let's face it-this country is pretty screwed up, too! If you're going to live somewhere, you should speak that country's language. End of story.

New story. I have had my own experiences with people who couldn't speak English. I used to work at a hardware store, and this man came in there one day asking for "Chero". Honestly, it took me an hour to figure out he wanted sheet rock. It sounded to me like he was asking for Cheerios. Posted Image So yeah, I support this wholeheartedly.

lol you shouldve gone to buy him a box ;)

#133 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Look personally I would like it if they all learned American and began acting like us in every way possible but that will never happen. Hence we must expel them and curtail immigration to people with graduate degrees at the minimum.

#134 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

Look personally I would like it if they all learned American and began acting like us in every way possible but that will never happen. Hence we must expel them and curtail immigration to people with graduate degrees at the minimum.

American isn't a lagnuage, how can we learn American? Also, the US doesn't have a national/official language. You just happen to speak english which happens to be the most widely used.

#135 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

It's the goddam Lingua Franca of not just America but the entire world. And in addition, when I say 'American' I refer to the standard unified dialect of English spoken in the United States of America- to me that's a separate language from the English spoken in England. Like how Afrikaans is a different language from Dutch. Capisce?

#136 Jennysaur

Jennysaur
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

Meh I don't have much to say since I'm Korean, and my parents aren't the best at English. I wish they'd learn, but adults and those who come to America after 20 have a really hard time adapting .
BUT we don't have a green card / citizenship yet so w,e.

I think the problem is, there's ALWAYS new immigrants, & older immigrants try to help out the new immigrants by making them feel welcome and speaking in that language.
It's impossible to have everyone speak English.

#137 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:19 AM

if everyone was american the world would be a bad place...

and to be honest other cultures and religions who come to the country is good...
it helps the economy grow even if they cant speak english

#138 mlv

mlv
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

I think this is incredible racist, if that people doesn't know english isn't because they dind't wanted to, is just because they couldn't. How do you think that people feel about people like you? How do you think about they feel about themselves and their situation? Living on a country where you don't understand people and you just can't communicate with them, I think it would b really hard for you to know that you aren't accepted where you're living just because of this.

Edited by mlv, 12 March 2011 - 09:15 PM.

#139 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

Lol, relax people. The lady was blowing off some steam. Hell, I'm pretty sure you've all encountered a situation like that. I've felt like dragging a chainsaw around the place too at times.

#140 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

I think this is incredible racist, if that people doesn't know english isn't because they dind't wanted to, is just because they couldn't. How do you think that people feel about people like you? How do you think about they feel about themselves and their situation? Living on a country where you don't understand people and you just can't communicate with them, I think it would b really hard for you to know that you aren't accepted where you're living just because of this.

This is not true. Everyone in this country has the opportunity to learn English. All it takes is asking, signing up for a class, etc. There's a lot of parents out there who are too proud to ask their children for help with their english. That's on them.

I understand what jcrgirl is saying. As a Chinese American, it really pisses me off when I see Chinese professionals... not service workers, PROFESSIONALS, who speak terrible English. I work in biomedical research, so there's A LOT of foreign researchers. A couple of them have TERRIBLE english, and sitting through a meeting where they present something is just awful. It takes them about 5-6 minutes to convoy a thought/idea/statement that I could communicate clearly in 30 seconds. The worst part is... they think they're fine. They see no reason to try to improve, even though 90% of the time when they say something during a meeting, the other person's response is "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you". It just boggles my mind that they think they can thrive here without being able to communicate clearly with everyone around them.

One a sidenote, I went to Chinatown today and got a haircut. They made zero effort to try to talk to me in english. Luckily the little Chinese I know is sufficient to complete this particular transaction =D

#141 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:15 AM

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!

I'm an ABC (Australia Born Chinese) and over here there are so many Asians who don't know how to speak or speak very little/poor English. It doesn't bug me so much because I'm fluent in the language, but I do think that people living in any country where the main language is English should make some sort of attempt in learning it, if not, please go.

P.S

I hate those people who are in Australia and say where they come from it better. If it's better, why are you here? GRRRRR

#142 contour

contour
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

It seems like lots of 2nd generation Asian's (whom i'm familiar with) only know how to speak English. Their Chinese is very bad or they just don't know it at all. English is very different than the asian languages (grammar style, metaphor, phrases, etc.). + English is a very screwed up language a lot of times with weird phrases.

on a side note,
I remember going to Burger King once with my mom, and she asked if she could order Chicken McNuggets.

#143 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!

I'm an ABC (Australia Born Chinese) and over here there are so many Asians who don't know how to speak or speak very little/poor English. It doesn't bug me so much because I'm fluent in the language, but I do think that people living in any country where the main language is English should make some sort of attempt in learning it, if not, please go.

P.S

I hate those people who are in Australia and say where they come from it better. If it's better, why are you here? GRRRRR

Southeast Asian or East Asian? (them, not you)
Curious about Australian immigrant demographics

#144 Dolly

Dolly
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

Lol, I remember reading this the first day it was posted.
Haha, I think that may have been the first thread I ever read actually xD

#145 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

Learn chinese or shop elsewhere...

#146 mlv

mlv
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

This is not true. Everyone in this country has the opportunity to learn English. All it takes is asking, signing up for a class, etc. There's a lot of parents out there who are too proud to ask their children for help with their english. That's on them.

I understand what jcrgirl is saying. As a Chinese American, it really pisses me off when I see Chinese professionals... not service workers, PROFESSIONALS, who speak terrible English. I work in biomedical research, so there's A LOT of foreign researchers. A couple of them have TERRIBLE english, and sitting through a meeting where they present something is just awful. It takes them about 5-6 minutes to convoy a thought/idea/statement that I could communicate clearly in 30 seconds. The worst part is... they think they're fine. They see no reason to try to improve, even though 90% of the time when they say something during a meeting, the other person's response is "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you". It just boggles my mind that they think they can thrive here without being able to communicate clearly with everyone around them.

One a sidenote, I went to Chinatown today and got a haircut. They made zero effort to try to talk to me in english. Luckily the little Chinese I know is sufficient to complete this particular transaction =D

I can understand you, that people works professionally there, and must know at least enough english to express themselves correctly but the thing is that in this thread we aren't talking about that people, we're talking about people who lives on a Chinese neighborhood and they have their little shops, I suppose that expecting for Chinese people, or people that knows at least some Chinese, to go there. If you want to ask for a tea with lemon and have a tea with lemon just learn some Chinese or go and buy it to another place, I guess they're on a Chinese neighborhood just to don't have problems with people who has a trouble with their poor english... Where I live there are also things like this, Chinese people who lives here and have their own shops but they don't know how to speak spanish, but I have no problem with them, they don't know how to speak spanish so I don't go there to waste my time trying to talk with them, I just go and buy what I need somewhere else.

Edited by mlv, 17 March 2011 - 09:52 AM.

#147 mutiny

mutiny
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

(But Canada is usually better at everything, so :p)

Only thing I agree with everything before just makes me ASKFJASLFJOWIQU029UIE01H BC9

#148 vurty

vurty
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

To the person that created this thread: I want to shake your hand.

#149 softboiled

softboiled
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

this thread makes me feel likes this: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: *
my father is adorable and lovely and round and can't quite wrap his head around the idea of the english language but he tries.

*just kidding you guys, it makes me feel like this: :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: - i just kind of liked the synchronised nose blowing

Edited by softboiled, 26 March 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#150 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Do you guys think that learning fundamental English for Immigrants / fluent English for their children is a mandatory requirement for green card eligibility to the United States?
Why/Why Not

^

Most of these parents start their own business which help your shitty economy in the US.
And plus they can just come here and make babies and send them out to learn english
in return the kids can teach them how to swear so they can defend themselves with people like you.
Now fuck off.

Imagine if the rest of the world had this policy, you obviously didn't put thought into this. .
fuck your steam, move the fuck out the neighbourhood.

Stick to the kitchen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users