• The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

/discuss.

#2 Jeb

Jeb
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

I'm a practicing Catholic, and I really hate other Catholics. People seem to have this notion that we are all these crazy religious zealots who do nothing but talk about God all day, reject science, hate homosexuals and think everything that is not in the bible is a gateway straight to hell, and too many other Catholics fuel that ridiculous stereotype. I believe science and evolution along with it, homosexuality doesn't bother me in the least, I don't hate other religions, and I'm not a crazy zealot, and when people do act that way, it makes me embarrassed to call myself a Catholic.

I would prefer people just see it at it's core. The belief that there is something higher, and that we should try our best to be helpful to the people around us. I don't care if you don't agree with it, I just wish people would respect it and stop judging us by the few crazies in this world.

#3 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

/old, recycled, and canned debate sequences from years past played over and over again.

/bored

#4 ZKK

ZKK
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

/discuss.

why would you do this

#5 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

why would you do this

Something wrong? Sorry I didn't want to type out a whole paragraph to start off a topic. If you want you can go ahead and make one for me.
& It'll never be an old topic as it will always be talked about and it's part of why people are seperated. Don't want to talk about it? "/leave" ( :

Here's one then, to start off for you. .
I agree Jeb. I hate people who 'blindly follow' I am the same as you. But I have my questions and doubts.
I do believe its teachings I don't believe in the church. If you believe enough, they say your home is God's home. Why would I go
off every sunday to church to worship God who lives with me? lol. I respect everyone's views, and I most of the time challenge my friends
who believe in God and its religion because they believe in it so much that they're afraid to explore questions/answers out of it.

I questioned a friend of mine, I asked her do you believe in love? She answered Yes.
Do you believe in same sex marriage? Surprisingly she said No. Why? Because apparently the church condemns same sex marriage, and
that it's not permitted. See this kind of teachings piss me off and how they try and teach us how to live, but at the same time its hypocritical.

Edited by Derriere, 26 May 2011 - 06:36 PM.

#6 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

Honestly, I dont see what the point of religion is.

Ok. So you believe in god. Or multiple gods. Fine. You believe that the rapture will happen. Ok.
But it really pisses me off when people are trying to convert other people and trying to tell other people that the rapture will happen so they should sell everything.
What the fuck? Keep your own ideas to yourself.

If you thanking God for your job, why are you telling everyone on Facebook that you are?
Its YOUR religion, not everyone else's.

I do think religion is good though. It gives hope when none can be found, letting people do what they could not do before.
But some start linking everything to religion... THANKS GOD. I WON THE LOTTERY. THANKS GOD. THE CAT POOPED.

#7 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

Posted Image

SYMBOLISM!!!!

#8 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

Fuck Junsu. I finally agree with you. It has good AND bad morals. But I believe that religion is something that will never go away.
Even the vikings had beliefs after their death they go into "Valhalla" or w/e. And Odin is a god, or what not.

Like the prediction of the rapture on May 21st. WTF were those people thinking ?
They overhyped shit and the news was on it because they couldn't get enough shitty news.

#9 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

There was quite a nice thread already...

Religion is overrated. Harold Camping is a God.

#10 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

Im also a Catholic (suprised?).
I like to beleive that at the end of the day, there is a higher power, and there is a reason behind everything. Its nice to have something to believe and put faith in, regardless of how unrealistic it may seem at times. There are days when my faith is tested, days when i wonder how a "god" could possibly turn a blind eye to the million and ten fucked up things in the world. Some days though, I see so much love in the world, and i know that there has to be a higher power behind it all.
I truly dont care what anyone else thinks of my religion and faiths, they're entitled to their own opinion.
I have my beliefs, and thats exactly what they are. MY beliefs.
Idiots that stand on the street and try to push religion onto you are fucked. There's so many in my area. You cant walk to a bus stop without having a flyer shoved in your face. No one should be told what religion to follow. No one should be judged for whatever religion/ faith they happen to follow. Everyone has their own beliefs, and people need to harden the fuck up and deal with that. Quite frankly, its nobody's business but your own, and people need to learn to respect that.
I HATE religious stereotypes. Just because one asshole of that religion ups and decides something crazy, why should it mean that everyone of that religion then follows that same belief? Some people could use a serious brick to the head.
I have nothing against same sex marriages. If thats what makes a person/ couple happy, who am i to judge? Its not my job to stop them, and im not the one having the same sex marriage, so why should it matter?

#11 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:51 PM

Give the number of religious debate topics, and you didn't even bother to give an opinion, I'm moving this to chit-chat

#12 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

Give the number of religious debate topics, and you didn't even bother to give an opinion, I'm moving this to chit-chat

fun killer.

#13 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:58 PM

fun killer.

You can still post here. It just wont give you free post count.

#14 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:59 PM

You can still post here. It just wont give you free post count.

im well aware of that.
but you killed the mood :)

#15 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:04 AM

im well aware of that.
but you killed the mood :)

Justified Homicide

#16 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:05 AM

Justified Homicide

youre lame.
and we're derailing a topic again.

#17 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:52 AM

youre lame.
and we're derailing a topic again.

I fail to see the problem with that

#18 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:27 AM

Posted Image

#19 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:29 AM

Some days though, I see so much love in the world, and i know that there has to be a higher power behind it all.

You are retarded. Why can't people be good on their own accord?

#20 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:50 AM

im sure they can.
again, thats my belief.
you're entitled to your own.

#21 chess211

chess211
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:16 AM

People can be good of their own accord, except for some of the brainwashing cults I would say that religion does not force you do be good. Just look at all of the scandals that have plagued any religion over the years. Religion serves the purpose of a framework, like any philosophy in providing a guide for people to follow. Like Marx said, "Religion is the opiate of the masses" it provides a similar result as a philosophy in guiding a person on how to life and work in a community but also provides a motivation for people that they do not have to come up with on their own. People like to listen to authority, and religion acts as a moral authority for people.

#22 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:16 AM

Because they gain nothing from it?

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

Because they gain nothing from it?

Ever heard of evolutionary biology? Learn some of it.

#24 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

Ever heard of evolutionary biology? Learn some of it.

You are right. That absolutely has something to do with the fact that being nice gains you almost nothing, while being an asshole gets you what you want.

You just owned me :|

(That was heavy sarcasm, if you cannot tell that)

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

You are right. That absolutely has something to do with the fact that being nice gains you almost nothing, while being an asshole gets you what you want.

You just owned me :|

(That was heavy sarcasm, if you cannot tell that)

The fact that you think that was a valid retort belies your ignorance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users