Quantcast

Photo

Tell me about L.A.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Tell me about L.A.

Should I get an internship in L.A. or stay in Toronto?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Broham

Broham
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

I'm currently studying Chemical Engineering up here in Canada and I was planning on doing a summer internship next year in L.A.
I have the connections necessary to get me a decently paying job, but the question now is should I go or not.
I've been getting mixed answers from everyone I've asked. I'm hoping some people from codex have been there and can tell me what it's like and if it's worth it.

#2 Kalla

Kalla
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

I used to live in LA for a little bit and I was never really a fan. I mean I think you should tell us a little bit about yourself, because LA can be heaven or hell depending on the person. I live in San Francisco right now and I love it, but LA was a bit too superficial for me. Someone once told me:

"Those with ambition and talent go to New York, those with talent but no ambition go to San Francisco, and those with ambition but no talent go to Los Angeles"
Wise words.

#3 Broham

Broham
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

I'm a Canadian citizen but I haven't always been; I was born in Albania during the fall of communism and as such was in constant danger because of the civil war.
I came to Canada when I was 5 years old yet I still speak and am literate in my mother tongue.
I have traditional values, but am not religious; neither is my family (for a few generations anyway.)

The reason I wanted to go to Los Angeles for a summer is because I feel that Toronto, while being the biggest City in Canada, is too monotonous and small.
I want to scope out other parts of the world where I could perhaps build a future for myself. Los Angeles would be the first step to becoming an independent person as I still live at home with both parents and a little brother (I don't plan to move out any time soon.)
So basically what I'm wondering is if Los Angeles is a good place to start on my quest to find the perfect city to build my career.

Also I'm single and not looking.

#4 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

I live right outside of LA, and have plenty of friends directly in the city.

I'm a massive nightowl and partier so it appeals to me in that sense, but there is plenty of other things to keep you busy.
The only reason I would tell someone not to go for it, was if you didn't have job placement.
But you do, so I see absolutely no reason for you to not try it.

It's only a summer anyways.

#5 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

If you're doing chemical engineering then I suggest that you go to a place where there's industry. I live in Alberta and I'm gonna be studying chemical engineering, I recommend you come to Alberta (oil sands, refineries everywhere), that or like Texas.

#6 enigmaticarc

enigmaticarc
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

You like smog and stuck-up rich people? If so, this is your place.

#7 raK

raK
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:16 AM

There's something about the states that bugs me... maybe it's how the fast food is so much more reasonably priced than up north. But if you would like the opinion of a newbie neocodex user, I would stay in Canada. I was born in Scarbrough and enjoyed growing up in Ontario. If I could, I would visit Ontario again. I RECOMMEND moving to the west coast. Vancouver is beautiful, it's a shame my current city got knocked off 1st on the most liveable places in the world, it being the 3rd most liveable city now because a road or something on Vancouver Island got closed down. Some people get attached to their home.

Really, though. I know nothing about Chemical Engineering, but I would assume that you would be better paid in the states. Don't take my word for it, though!

Best of luck with your career, bro.

#8 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

LA itself isn't much of a place to live unless you're used to (and fond of) living in an extremely busy, populated place where it's never really quiet. It's also just as dirty as people say it is (you really can see a layer of smog when you come in by plane) and it's in one of the most expensive states in the country. California used to have an economy that rivaled other countries and back then I imagine it was a helluva place to see. Now, it's basically a hellishly expensive place to be and god help you if you plan to drive anywhere.

Best of luck, but I'd rather stay somewhere in the Midwest.

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:26 AM

:offtopic: This thread has been moved to General Chat since it's not really a debate.

Carry on. :)

#10 Broham

Broham
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:31 AM

One of the internship positions available to me offers $5500 for 12 weeks.
Do you think this is enough to cover living expenses and recreation in that area?

If you're doing chemical engineering then I suggest that you go to a place where there's industry. I live in Alberta and I'm gonna be studying chemical engineering, I recommend you come to Alberta (oil sands, refineries everywhere), that or like Texas.

I was actually thinking of going to Alberta but I heard that it gets really lonely there. A friend of mine is an electrician and he went on a 3 month job to Alberta; he told me that Edmonton was basically a ghost town compared to Toronto.

#11 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

I was actually thinking of going to Alberta but I heard that it gets really lonely there. A friend of mine is an electrician and he went on a 3 month job to Alberta; he told me that Edmonton was basically a ghost town compared to Toronto.

Every city in Canada is like a ghost town compared to Toronto (cept maybe Vancouver). Come to Calgary then, lots of things to do, things to see, 1mil+ people so its a bustling city.

#12 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

One of the internship positions available to me offers $5500 for 12 weeks.
Do you think this is enough to cover living expenses and recreation in that area?

Uh no, I don't think that would cover it. Rent is absurdly expensive (that'll be half of your money right there, if not more) Plus sight seeing, traveling, and getting to LA and back.... I doubt that would even come close.

#13 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

Every city in Canada is like a ghost town compared to Toronto (cept maybe Vancouver). Come to Calgary then, lots of things to do, things to see, 1mil+ people so its a bustling city.

Edmonton has nearly the same population as Calgary, so it can't be all that bad. :p

It does sort of suck here a bit (in Edmonton), but you can definitely make friends if you try hard enough for sure. The university atmosphere is also great.

#14 Broham

Broham
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

Uh no, I don't think that would cover it. Rent is absurdly expensive (that'll be half of your money right there, if not more) Plus sight seeing, traveling, and getting to LA and back.... I doubt that would even come close.

I'm planning to drive with a couple friends and split the gas money. We're also planning to get a place together, they're going to be making roughly the same.

#15 raK

raK
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:04 PM

Days in Edmonton were a pain. Mostly the ones I was waiting on public transit. The people either have a good sense of humor, or lazy because they leave their christmas decorations out all through the year. If you like living in cold places, Edmonton is your place, no doubt the coldest place I lived in.

#16 Broham

Broham
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:38 AM

Days in Edmonton were a pain. Mostly the ones I was waiting on public transit. The people either have a good sense of humor, or lazy because they leave their christmas decorations out all through the year. If you like living in cold places, Edmonton is your place, no doubt the coldest place I lived in.

I'm European, I can withstand a blowtorch to the face but when it gets cold I hate it with a passion.

#17 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:07 AM

If you believe Toronto is too small, can stand the heat, hate the cold... moving to L.A. is definitely the best choice. Broheim I live a few hours north of you and it gets much colder here haha. You are not finding a hotter, disgusting and larger fucked up city than Toronto in Canada ;)

#18 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • 496 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

I liked LA from the little of what I saw when I went there for AX.
Streets are a bit crazy, and neighborhoods change from clean to ghetto in just a corner.

But travelling to new places is always an experience. I would recommend you take it if just to gain the experience of a bustling city and a new social outlook.

#19 Broham

Broham
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:27 AM

Speaking of neighbourhoods, Toronto is more or less safe. Is LA a lot more dangerous that Toronto?
And will I need to drive or is there a transit system similar to the TTC?

#20 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Come to LA, enjoy the never-ending stream of homeless people lining up with their hand out because they saw you smoking and suddenly they need a cigarette. The streets are lined with filth and the sky sparkles like a gigantic green opal. Indeed it is a place of wonder. As you lay down in your apartment above the pawn shop or liquor store you've chosen, and once the gunshots die down at around 6am you might start to slip off into dream land. But don't worry about that for too long, because down the street you'll hear what sounds like a Bolivian woman, Popeye, and Ronald Reagan having a screaming argument. As they pass, you'll look out the window of your hovel and realize, oh, thats all coming from the same guy.

LA: The magic and the wonder come to life.

#21 paihamster

paihamster
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

It's a very impersonal city. People don't seem to care very much for each other, and it's full of homeless/mentally troubled people.

Parking is hell. Traffic is hell. The city never sleeps, but that could be both good and bad.

Overall, I would say it's a decent experience to have. Wouldn't live there if you pay me though.

As for the safety issue, it depends on which part of the city you live in. Apartments closer to the Santa Monica area cost drastically more, but the neighborhoods outward raise more security concern. Overall, I don't think it's as bad as people make it sound.

Edited by paihamster, 01 September 2011 - 02:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users