You know how gay people get bullied?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:07 PM

Yeah. And then they commit suicide?
And then Michigan is all: We should make a bill against bullying in response to this tragedy!
And then the Church is all: Yeah, but what if God says it's bad?
And then Michigan is all: O, lol. My bad. Bullying is okay if it conflicts with your "religious beliefs" or "moral conviction".
- In other words, bill passed to decrease bullying against gay teens make them one of the few groups that is legally okay to bully.

Official News Story Link

Personally I think a bit of bullying make you stronger in the end for it (but that's just an extremely biased opinion based of myself. ... It is also pretty redundant.)

#2 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:17 PM

Maybe it's terrible thing to say, but people should just stay closeted till after high school in most circumstances. Sure it sucks, but it's sorta requried to survive

#3 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

Maybe it's terrible thing to say, but people should just stay closeted till after high school in most circumstances. Sure it sucks, but it's sorta requried to survive

Perhaps. But if we all keep the mentality of doing what is the path of least resistance then nothing will change. My QSA group had a meeting today and one of the boys said something interesting about pubic affection. That he wasn't really into PDA, but his mother still told him to not kiss his boyfriend in public because people aren't comfortable with the idea of it. He responded, saying well when would they be comfortable with it if they are never exposed to it?

So I pose that same question to you: When will people be okay with Homosexuals if they don't meet anyone who is a kind, decent person and just happens to be gay?

#4 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

Perhaps. But if we all keep the mentality of doing what is the path of least resistance then nothing will change. My QSA group had a meeting today and one of the boys said something interesting about pubic affection.

I lol'd.

It's more accepted in certain places than others. Here in Winnipeg it's not big of a deal; you will honestly get stared at but I haven't heard of any hate crimes thusly. it's more just pretentious staring more than anything.

#5 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

I don't care if someone is justifying their treatment of someone else by saying it is based on a sincere religious or moral belief. Bullying of any kind is wrong.

#6 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

I lol'd.

It's more accepted in certain places than others. Here in Winnipeg it's not big of a deal; you will honestly get stared at but I haven't heard of any hate crimes thusly. it's more just pretentious staring more than anything.

Derp! There should have been an 'L' in there. Not going to fix that though. It's just too wonderful of a mistake!

And yeah - I'm not even saying that homophobia is the worst case scenario either. People get judged for having any abnormal 'pubic' image. xD

@ Fuu: It's definitely not a viable excuse. Made worse because the bill was passed created in order to keep more gay teens from committing suicide due to relentlessly cruel bullying. The irony is staggering. **EDIT: I think it's still in the state senate, actually.

Edited by Inver, 12 November 2011 - 12:06 AM.

#7 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

#8 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

Here you go http://www.change.or...-to-bully-bill?

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

There's a difference between school bullying and harassment to the point of wanting to commit suicide. When the former reaches the point of the latter it should be treated as a criminal offence.

#10 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 805 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

This will be all over when I finish with my gay targeting virus...

#11 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

This will be all over when I finish with my gay targeting virus...

Poor Ryan Seacrest :(

I'm not trying to sound horrible, but certain people bring it upon themselves. This is dangerously close to saying, like, women deserve rape for dressing provocatively, but in the same sense if you know you're in an area where homosexually is extremely prejiduced against, maybe don't make out in the hallway? Maybe don't have a rainbow flag attached to your hat? Maybe don't complain 24/7 about gay rights and marriage? Unless you live in San Fransisco.

#12 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

Poor Ryan Seacrest :(

I'm not trying to sound horrible, but certain people bring it upon themselves. This is dangerously close to saying, like, women deserve rape for dressing provocatively, but in the same sense if you know you're in an area where homosexually is extremely prejiduced against, maybe don't make out in the hallway? Maybe don't have a rainbow flag attached to your hat? Maybe don't complain 24/7 about gay rights and marriage? Unless you live in San Fransisco.

I'm pro-gay rights but I agree with this whole-heartedly. I'm not saying gays should feel like they can't hold their significant other's hand in public or even kiss, but lets be honest, if you know you're in an area where this sort of behavior will cause problems, why do it? I wouldn't walk around with diamond necklaces and all sorts of bling bling in the "bad part of town" would I? That would just be asking to get mugged. The issue isn't should they stay closeted, the issue is about choosing the right moment. My high school for example was very accepting of the gay community, others might not be. I think (like with any situation) its a smart idea to take some time to scope out the scene before being loud about social issues that are divisive to that extent.

#13 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

I went out with a guy and all he did was talk about gay rights and how he got bullied, death threats etc. And even though I'm sorta in the same boat, I wanted to just say to him "maybe it's because you act so fucking gay". Like he'd purposefully provoke people by making out with his boyfriend or talking about how he is discrminated and just going to rallies, campaigns etc... I got sooooo bored with him because he seemed to only have a one track mind. The point of "equal rights" is to basically have gay people not "accepted" but be seen as "just like everyone else", no different from one person to the next. Isn't that the point? By yelling PRIDE PRIDE PRIDE PRIDE PRIDE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, that's not integration at all. That's forcing change, and forcing change never works.

#14 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

I went out with a guy and all he did was talk about gay rights and how he got bullied, death threats etc. And even though I'm sorta in the same boat, I wanted to just say to him "maybe it's because you act so fucking gay". Like he'd purposefully provoke people by making out with his boyfriend or talking about how he is discrminated and just going to rallies, campaigns etc... I got sooooo bored with him because he seemed to only have a one track mind. The point of "equal rights" is to basically have gay people not "accepted" but be seen as "just like everyone else", no different from one person to the next. Isn't that the point? By yelling PRIDE PRIDE PRIDE PRIDE PRIDE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, that's not integration at all. That's forcing change, and forcing change never works.

ahahaha i'm sorry i dont know why i found the image of this guy hilarious. I'm imagining someone walking around in a rainbow sequined outfit yelling about people to support gay rights:x3:

But regardles, I find that people generally respond better (in the sense of making them more accepting of the gay community) to the gays that aren't super-diva-in-your-face gay. Don't get me wrong, I love the diva gays, but for someone who has never been exposed to the gay community, it ends up being too much to handle.

#15 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

Indeed, people who are going to be most helpful to this campaign are people who are gay and have their sexuality as a secondary aspect of their life. Everyday people who just happen to be gay. Not people who won't stfu about it. It's like feminism. ughhh

#16 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

He wasn't really into PDA, but his mother still told him to not kiss his boyfriend in public because people aren't comfortable with the idea of it. He responded, saying well when would they be comfortable with it if they are never exposed to it?

Wahhh I like this story.

Easy solution would be to move to the openminded places of Cali <3 MOVE TO SF BITCHES

You say that bullying makes you stronger, I agree, but only if you manage to get through the shit.

And I do agree that some people do bring it on themselves, would you go screaming rainbows and gayness in some hillbilly place? No, you would get shot.

But think about keeping a secret about yourself for 18 years, not telling a soul. You go into locker rooms, afraid of getting an erection. Want to do sports? No way, too risky. Your friends talk about which girl is hot and you sit there awkwardly, and when they ask you, you try your best to say something "manly" but it doesnt always work out. High school love? Nope, you can't enjoy that. Friends? Will they still be your friends after you tell them youre gay? Think about how much it builds up.

But some people don't get "only trust yourself" until later. They told their best friend about being gay, oh wait they arent friends anymore and the whole school knows about him.

Edited by Junsu, 12 November 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#17 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

But some people don't get "only trust yourself" until later. They told their best friend about being gay, oh wait they arent friends anymore and the whole school knows about him.

That's a horrible thought :( Horrible because it's sadly true at times. I'm very lucky that the people I've told thus far have been very accepting; but that being said I've only told... 4 people IRL, none of whom were guys. I never told anyone till after high school. smeh.

#18 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

Harassment, bullying and physical/psychological bullying all have criminal elements to them, regardless of location.

Whether one obviously-bias bill goes through, it shouldn't matter as all types of bullying should be dealt with harshly and firmly.

Also, gay people shouldn't make out in public. Just like straight people. I don't want to see tounge fights, regardless of sexuality.

Edited by Frizzle, 12 November 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#19 essie

essie
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

No matter what you're position is, if you're different than the main-stream, you're going to get bullied.
But to create a bill to prevent bullying inspired by a group, and then giving everyone a free pass to bully that group again is just wrong. I haven't looked into it, but I would not be happy if I was living in Michigan.

I'll never understand how religion was brought into this as an excuse to treat someone like shit.

#20 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:35 PM

I'll never understand how religion was brought into this as an excuse to treat someone like shit.

RIGHT?!!! Its amazing to me that the religious nuts get involved against anything that isn't "normal" I say if your god doesn't like gay people why the eff would he make them? Its all a load of crap IMO. (sorry if that sounded kinda harsh.. i just HATE that people use their religion as an excuse to hate anyone, not just the members of the gay community)

#21 Pavement

Pavement
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

Jesus had two dads.

#22 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

Wow, that's... dumb, to say the least :/
Bullying is still bullying no matter which religion you belong to etc. Well done Michigan! Thank god I don't live there :p

#23 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

I don't care whether somebody thinks homosexuality is against their religion, or if they have some moral reason to bully. It's wrong. Why should you be allowed to hurt people because you have a strong reason to not like who they are?

Imho, the only way we're going to get anywhere with this and them being (most of the time) accepted, is the same way we got this way (For the most part) with African Americans and those - just give them rights. Have the law treat them equally. Of course it'll be a tough fight. Of course people are going to bitch and rant and crap. Of course we'll have an outbreak of shit being done to them. But, I'm sorry, i believe it'd g be the only way to get them to be accepted.

I'm pro-gay rights but I agree with this whole-heartedly. I'm not saying gays should feel like they can't hold their significant other's hand in public or even kiss, but lets be honest, if you know you're in an area where this sort of behavior will cause problems, why do it? I wouldn't walk around with diamond necklaces and all sorts of bling bling in the "bad part of town" would I? That would just be asking to get mugged. The issue isn't should they stay closeted, the issue is about choosing the right moment. My high school for example was very accepting of the gay community, others might not be. I think (like with any situation) its a smart idea to take some time to scope out the scene before being loud about social issues that are divisive to that extent.

But with the issue of being homosexual, it's who you are. You shouldn't have to feel like you have to hide who you are to feel safe. Wearing a Diamond necklace is not who you are.It's something you can change about yourself. You can choose when you can wear it. It's not part of you. Being homoexual, for the most part, is not. You're basically being asked to hide who you are for your safety. It's a terrible comparasion, imho. It's a problem that needs to be fixed.

Although, with any PDA there is a certain line you should not cross - but the line should be the same for any couple.

#24 Charli

Charli
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

I feel like the responsibility of a child's well-being rests with the parents and not the government. Obviously bullying is wrong and should be illegal, but if your child is being bullied daily, you need to step in, not wait for the school or police to do something. Parents need to be involved and step in when there is a problem. Go to the school, go to the bully's parents, switch schools, anything, but waiting for the police to come and arrest all the kids bullying your child is pretty naive. Most states in the US have anti-bullying laws, but they aren't enforced until things get really bad, usually to the point of physical violence.
Parents need to more concerned about the bullying policy at their kids school, and whether it is actually enforced. If there isn't or its not enforced, try and change that. Or change schools. Because even if the state has great anti-bullying laws, they can only be enforced if someone sees it, steps in and reports it.

I thought this was a semi-heart warming story about bullying (but thats just me xD): http://www.thechroni...bullying-crime/

#25 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

I feel like the responsibility of a child's well-being rests with the parents and not the government. Obviously bullying is wrong and should be illegal, but if your child is being bullied daily, you need to step in, not wait for the school or police to do something. Parents need to be involved and step in when there is a problem. Go to the school, go to the bully's parents, switch schools, anything, but waiting for the police to come and arrest all the kids bullying your child is pretty naive. Most states in the US have anti-bullying laws, but they aren't enforced until things get really bad, usually to the point of physical violence.
Parents need to more concerned about the bullying policy at their kids school, and whether it is actually enforced. If there isn't or its not enforced, try and change that. Or change schools. Because even if the state has great anti-bullying laws, they can only be enforced if someone sees it, steps in and reports it.

I thought this was a semi-heart warming story about bullying (but thats just me xD): http://www.thechroni...bullying-crime/

That requires telling your parents youre gay.
And most people wouldn't tell your parents theyre being bullied whether or not theyre gay

Edited by Junsu, 13 November 2011 - 01:22 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users