#1 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

I don't if this has been posted yet, but:
http://www.mozilla.org/sopa/

What do you guys think? We should probably sign it huh?

#2 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

Oh god it better not pass. -.-

#3 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

Signed the petition. Although it doesn't do much help when you're represented by this troll:
Posted Image
:(

#4 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

I'm signing it. If it passes, oh dear...

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Signed the petition. Although it doesn't do much help when you're represented by this troll:
Posted Image
:(

He looks like an actual troll...

Spoiler

#6 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 805 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

He looks like an actual troll...

Spoiler

Um...
That's not a troll...

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

Um...
That's not a troll...

Have you ever seen a real troll?

#8 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 805 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

Yup, haven't you?

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Yup, haven't you?

Yup, the troll I saw looked like that. He said he was a troll but then he ran away shouting "trolololol" so whether he was trustworthy I'm not entirely sure.

#10 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

I signed. The passing of this bill would be a very bad thing for America.

#11 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

I signed. The passing of this bill would be a very bad thing for America.

There was a bit of a Freudian slip on a BBC news article about the subject a few hours ago, they called it the "Stop Online Privacy Act". :p Whether that was done on purpose or not I have no idea but I only hope my own government doesn't go down this route too. :/

#12 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

There was a bit of a Freudian slip on a BBC news article about the subject a few hours ago, they called it the "Stop Online Privacy Act". :p Whether that was done on purpose or not I have no idea but I only hope my own government doesn't go down this route too. :/

I would be wary. The recording industry in the UK is no less powerful or wanting of such a law. Their lobby is sure to follow suit if the American bill passes.

#13 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

I would be wary. The recording industry in the UK is no less powerful or wanting of such a law. Their lobby is sure to follow suit if the American bill passes.

One of the big problems I see is that technology companies (like Google, Amazon etc) have been the big wealth creators over the last few years in America as traditional industries have been in severe decline so to clamp down on one of the most profitable industries during what is pretty much still a recession is a very good way to ensure that the economy continues to drag along the floor for even longer. :/

Is the bill looking likely to be passed? I haven't seen any reports of how many politicians are likely to support it or oppose it.

#14 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

I've been shoving this under everyone's face all day long. But with the legions of the interwebs, I doubt something ridiculous like this will stand a chance.

#15 esotericaKoalan

esotericaKoalan
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

The US will be able to block a site’s web traffic, ad traffic and search traffic using the same website censorship methods used by China, Iran and Syria.

Oh god, not China... stupid Facebook and Youtube block.

If this passes, I hope this isn't as bad as that...

#16 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

Seems to me like they're trying to make the first amendment:
Freedom of speech*

*but only to a certain degree

I highly doubt anything like this will pass, as seen by the past attempts to do anything relating to a censor of the internet, any type of restriction would be a conflict with the bill of rights.

#17 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

I don't think it will ever pass.... ever.
You can fuck with my taxes, my education, my quality of life, but if you fuck with my internet, you will die Posted Image

#18 CJames

CJames
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

stop the bill!!! if more countries follow with this stupid idea... all the other countries will join and internet will join the other mass media like newspapers and tv with censorships on..

#19 HuskySiberiano

HuskySiberiano
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

That is kinda ridiculous...
Obviously they're afraid of the internet...

#20 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

That is kinda ridiculous...
Obviously they're afraid of the internet...

By "they're", I'm assuming you're talking about the RIAA (the people don't control the US government, silly, that's what interest groups are for!).

The second part of the problem is the idiots who think piracy is the cause of the music industry's decline...

#21 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

I've been shoving this under everyone's face all day long. But with the legions of the interwebs, I doubt something ridiculous like this will stand a chance.

If I didn't have a job, I would be at occupy wallstreet shit right now, just because of this.

I don't think it matters if everyone in the state sends my people emails, if they get paid enough by the MPAA (Which, since they make like 180 million dollars a movie, its not gonna be an issue) they will pass it, and we will be fucked.

I highly doubt anything like this will pass, as seen by the past attempts to do anything relating to a censor of the internet, any type of restriction would be a conflict with the bill of rights.

See, the fact that its even being proposed shows that they don't give a shit about anyone's rights. The pay from the RIAA and MPAA is high enough, thus this bill is being proposed. Enough people get paid off/intimidated and this bill is done, and the MPAA can be happy. Their lawsuit streak failed miserably, costing them more money then they earned.

#22 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

There was already a thread about this.

But it's great that more people are seeing this.

I posted about this on Facebook and everyone's pretty much like.. whatever. Fuck my generation, I swear.
And please.. don't just say "Oh yeah this will be so bad, but it won't pass, p-shaw." goddamnit call the number I posted in the other thread, or something, shit.
It's very important that this is not just passively ignored.. the creators of this bill would rather us not know in the first place, but it's still exactly what they hoped for.
"Oh NBD, it ain't gonna pass." Yeah, okay. Then you'll only have yourselves to blame when it does.

Guess my grandparents hippie blood runs in me, I can't stand it when people ignore politics and bills that come up. If we don't say something, who will? The media? Politicians? Don't think so.

*rant over*

Edited by Kats, 16 November 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#23 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

Is this only for the US? It doesn't recognize my zip code. :o

#24 Stitches

Stitches
  • 282 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:38 AM

Related to this, the US Department of Justice wants to make it a federal crime to violate the "terms of service" of any website.

The amount of support these proposals have on both sides is alarming. Funny how the only time congress can work together is when they're pushing for censorship and oppression. I'm not even American, but this shit terrifies me. If SOPA passes, which it has a real chance of doing, it will affect everyone, globally.

Some helpful links here if you want to learn more, write your representatives, or get more involved: http://www.reddit.co...comments/me5e9/

#25 HuskySiberiano

HuskySiberiano
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

By "they're", I'm assuming you're talking about the RIAA (the people don't control the US government, silly, that's what interest groups are for!).

The second part of the problem is the idiots who think piracy is the cause of the music industry's decline...

Heh, I'm almost sure that music piracy isn't the only thing that they're afraid of. :3~
But that is the "perfect" excuse.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users