Photo

The Shocking Truth about Crackdown Occupy

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:54 AM

US citizens of all political persuasions are still reeling from images of unparallelled police brutality in a coordinated crackdown against peaceful OWS protesters in cities across the nation this past week. An elderly woman was pepper-sprayed in the face; the scene of unresisting, supine students at UC Davis being pepper-sprayed by phalanxes of riot police went viral online; images proliferated of young women – targeted seemingly for their gender – screaming, dragged by the hair by police in riot gear; and the pictures of a young man, stunned and bleeding profusely from the head, emerged in the record of the middle-of-the-night clearing of Zuccotti Park.

But just when Americans thought we had the picture – was this crazy police and mayoral overkill, on a municipal level, in many different cities? – the picture darkened. The National Union of Journalists and the Committee to Protect Journalists issued a Freedom of Information Act request to investigate possible federal involvement with law enforcement practices that appeared to target journalists. The New York Times reported that "New York cops have arrested, punched, whacked, shoved to the ground and tossed a barrier at reporters and photographers" covering protests. Reporters were asked by NYPD to raise their hands to prove they had credentials: when many dutifully did so, they were taken, upon threat of arrest, away from the story they were covering, and penned far from the site in which the news was unfolding. Other reporters wearing press passes were arrested and roughed up by cops, after being – falsely – informed by police that "It is illegal to take pictures on the sidewalk."

In New York, a state supreme court justice and a New York City council member were beaten up; in Berkeley, California, one of our greatest national poets, Robert Hass, was beaten with batons. The picture darkened still further when Wonkette and Washingtonsblog.com reported that the Mayor of Oakland acknowledged that the Department of Homeland Security had participated in an 18-city mayor conference call advising mayors on "how to suppress" Occupy protests.

To Europeans, the enormity of this breach may not be obvious at first. Our system of government prohibits the creation of a federalised police force, and forbids federal or militarised involvement in municipal peacekeeping.

I noticed that rightwing pundits and politicians on the TV shows on which I was appearing were all on-message against OWS. Journalist Chris Hayes reported on a leaked memo that revealed lobbyists vying for an $850,000 contract to smear Occupy. Message coordination of this kind is impossible without a full-court press at the top. This was clearly not simply a case of a freaked-out mayors', city-by-city municipal overreaction against mess in the parks and cranky campers. As the puzzle pieces fit together, they began to show coordination against OWS at the highest national levels.

Why this massive mobilisation against these not-yet-fully-articulated, unarmed, inchoate people? After all, protesters against the war in Iraq, Tea Party rallies and others have all proceeded without this coordinated crackdown. Is it really the camping? As I write, two hundred young people, with sleeping bags, suitcases and even folding chairs, are still camping out all night and day outside of NBC on public sidewalks – under the benevolent eye of an NYPD cop – awaiting Saturday Night Live tickets, so surely the camping is not the issue. I was still deeply puzzled as to why OWS, this hapless, hopeful band, would call out a violent federal response.

That is, until I found out what it was that OWS actually wanted.

The mainstream media was declaring continually "OWS has no message". Frustrated, I simply asked them. I began soliciting online "What is it you want?" answers from Occupy. In the first 15 minutes, I received 100 answers. These were truly eye-opening.

The No 1 agenda item: get the money out of politics. Most often cited was legislation to blunt the effect of the Citizens United ruling, which lets boundless sums enter the campaign process. No 2: reform the banking system to prevent fraud and manipulation, with the most frequent item being to restore the Glass-Steagall Act – the Depression-era law, done away with by President Clinton, that separates investment banks from commercial banks. This law would correct the conditions for the recent crisis, as investment banks could not take risks for profit that create kale derivatives out of thin air, and wipe out the commercial and savings banks.

No 3 was the most clarifying: draft laws against the little-known loophole that currently allows members of Congress to pass legislation affecting Delaware-based corporations in which they themselves are investors.

When I saw this list – and especially the last agenda item – the scales fell from my eyes. Of course, these unarmed people would be having the shit kicked out of them.

For the terrible insight to take away from news that the Department of Homeland Security coordinated a violent crackdown is that the DHS does not freelance. The DHS cannot say, on its own initiative, "we are going after these scruffy hippies". Rather, DHS is answerable up a chain of command: first, to New York Representative Peter King, head of the House homeland security subcommittee, who naturally is influenced by his fellow congressmen and women's wishes and interests. And the DHS answers directly, above King, to the president (who was conveniently in Australia at the time).

In other words, for the DHS to be on a call with mayors, the logic of its chain of command and accountability implies that congressional overseers, with the blessing of the White House, told the DHS to authorise mayors to order their police forces – pumped up with millions of dollars of hardware and training from the DHS – to make war on peaceful citizens.

But wait: why on earth would Congress advise violent militarised reactions against its own peaceful constituents? The answer is straightforward: in recent years, members of Congress have started entering the system as members of the middle class (or upper middle class) – but they are leaving DC privy to vast personal wealth, as we see from the "scandal" of presidential contender Newt Gingrich's having been paid $1.8m for a few hours' "consulting" to special interests. The inflated fees to lawmakers who turn lobbyists are common knowledge, but the notion that congressmen and women are legislating their own companies' profitsis less widely known – and if the books were to be opened, they would surely reveal corruption on a Wall Street spectrum. Indeed, we do already know that congresspeople are massively profiting from trading on non-public information they have on companies about which they are legislating – a form of insider trading that sent Martha Stewart to jail.

Since Occupy is heavily surveilled and infiltrated, it is likely that the DHS and police informers are aware, before Occupy itself is, what its emerging agenda is going to look like. If legislating away lobbyists' privileges to earn boundless fees once they are close to the legislative process, reforming the banks so they can't suck money out of fake derivatives products, and, most critically, opening the books on a system that allowed members of Congress to profit personally – and immensely – from their own legislation, are two beats away from the grasp of an electorally organised Occupy movement … well, you will call out the troops on stopping that advance.

So, when you connect the dots, properly understood, what happened this week is the first battle in a civil war; a civil war in which, for now, only one side is choosing violence. It is a battle in which members of Congress, with the collusion of the American president, sent violent, organised suppression against the people they are supposed to represent. Occupy has touched the third rail: personal congressional profits streams. Even though they are, as yet, unaware of what the implications of their movement are, those threatened by the stirrings of their dreams of reform are not.

Sadly, Americans this week have come one step closer to being true brothers and sisters of the protesters in Tahrir Square. Like them, our own national leaders, who likely see their own personal wealth under threat from transparency and reform, are now making war upon us.

Source: http://www.guardian....rackdown-occupy

What do you think? I don't think I've seen an article that has summarized everything up about Occupy Wall Street so clearly.

#2 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

For a lot of us that are informed, this doesn't shed much in the way of new light on the issue. It's very well written however, and summed up well. Perhaps when news outlets like the guardian are providing commentaries on these sorts of things people who still shrug off OWS efforts as disgruntled hippies, will see the true possibilities of what is coming to pass.

I'm seeing civil unrest in a lot of countries with a supposed 'democratic' government, and I've been expecting things to escalate for the past year or so. It's only a matter of time before an official civil war breaks out in one of them. And I hope it does. the most disgusting political issue for me right now is all the oil drilling in open seas. The recent chevron oil spill, and the cover up they tried to perform, Norway steadfast in trying to drill in the arctic, Shell Alaska pushing ahead to drill their own patch of Arctic water. Both Obama and my own prime minister are eager to sign over permits for drilling for oil in our waters and it's disgusting that oil spills are occuring this frequently, and will probably only continue to increase as more drilling is done despite a large amount of respective populations either saying no to the decisions or extremely skeptical that any of it can be performed safely.

Makes me not want to live on this planet anymore.

#3 Plunk

Plunk
  • Official Neocodex Dollface

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

Absolutely fucking despicable. My opinion is that we need to hold all of these "Elected Officials" accountable for what they've done, and put them on trial. Not in front of the Supreme Court, but in front of the whole nation. We need to get indisputable evidence of these acts of absolute bullshit, and present them to the people, who will then have the opportunity to vote on each individual being either guilty, or not guilty of each charge. The only problem with my idea is that the list of offenders and offenses is so long, all the accused would be dead by the time we finished voting. We put these people into office to protect our best interests, not to line their pockets. It's absolute duck shit.

#4 supertrap

supertrap
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Carefull, codex might have to re-evaluate its stance on OWS. Ive seen mostly ingnorant morons posting hate posts about OWS.
But maybe members like you posting about it will bring a different view.

Still think we are all hippies just looking for a handout?

#5 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

Everyone has a price. It's as if you guys weren't expecting corruption or something with a shitty government like ours. Posted Image

#6 supertrap

supertrap
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

http://www.versobook...ets-its-nemesis

The Party of Wall Street has one universal principle of rule: that there shall be no serious challenge to the absolute power of money to rule absolutely. And that power is to be exercised with one objective. Those possessed of money power shall not only be privileged to accumulate wealth endlessly at will, but they shall have the right to inherit the earth, taking either direct or indirect dominion not only of the land and all the resources and productive capacities that reside therein, but also assume absolute command, directly or indirectly, over the labor and creative potentialities of all those others it needs. The rest of humanity shall be deemed disposable.

CHECK OUT the rest of the article. Great read.

Edited by supertrap, 26 November 2011 - 12:01 PM.

#7 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

Carefull, codex might have to re-evaluate its stance on OWS. Ive seen mostly ingnorant morons posting hate posts about OWS.
But maybe members like you posting about it will bring a different view.

Still think we are all hippies just looking for a handout?

I've seen largely positive stances on the OWS movement here. A few idiots quick to dismiss it are present, but for a site filled with many younger people it's to be expected.

If you mean in general, perhaps we travel in different circles. Most of the people I know are seeing this as a completely positive thing, as it's clear there is an extreme lack of social justice present in capitalist nations.

#8 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

I wish it would culminate into some big thing already, I sick of hearing about it all the time and it's going no where.

#9 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

I wish it would culminate into some big thing already, I sick of hearing about it all the time and it's going no where.

inorite?! Its been a little over 2 months already! Wasn't Rome built in a day? Get your shit together Occupy!

Edited by Abradix, 26 November 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#10 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

Livesteam of Occupy Wall Street LA

http://www.ustream.t...&medium=9753135

#11 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

Bias article is bias.

#12 Stephen

Stephen
  • 3528 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:13 AM

Bias article is bias.

Frizzle? It's been quite a while. x_x

In other news, tl;dr

#13 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

I wont "troll" your thread too much, all im going to say is I do not care for this movement, I think its full of fail in general. They are a bunch of whiney bitches.
That is all.

Whiny, yes. Fail, maybe not. I think once more people start realizing the true meaning behind OWS, they will join in. I don't think it's fair the way the country is ran (with banks controlling everything, money buying politics, etc). America is supposed to be a "monopoly-free country" but we have businesses that are "too big to fail," which means they are a monopoly and by law they shouldn't exist, but they do.

I agree with their message, but not their tactics. More power to them, and hopefully a leader will step up soon and take charge of the ENTIRE occupy movement. Only when a central command is established will OWS start gaining grounds.

#14 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

While nearly all Americans head to family and friends to celebrate Thanksgiving, the Senate is gearing up for a vote on Monday or Tuesday that goes to the very heart of who we are as Americans. The Senate will be voting on a bill that will direct American military resources not at an enemy shooting at our military in a war zone, but at American citizens and other civilians far from any battlefield — even people in the United States itself.

Senators need to hear from you, on whether you think your front yard is part of a “battlefield” and if any president can send the military anywhere in the world to imprison civilians without charge or trial.

The Senate is going to vote on whether Congress will give this president—and every future president — the power to order the military to pick up and imprison without charge or trial civilians anywhere in the world. Even Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) raised his concerns about the NDAA detention provisions during last night’s Republican debate. The power is so broad that even U.S. citizens could be swept up by the military and the military could be used far from any battlefield, even within the United States itself.

The worldwide indefinite detention without charge or trial provision is in S. 1867, the National Defense Authorization Act bill, which will be on the Senate floor on Monday. The bill was drafted in secret by Sens. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) and passed in a closed-door committee meeting, without even a single hearing.

I know it sounds incredible. New powers to use the military worldwide, even within the United States? Hasn’t anyone told the Senate that Osama bin Laden is dead, that the president is pulling all of the combat troops out of Iraq and trying to figure out how to get combat troops out of Afghanistan too? And American citizens and people picked up on American or Canadian or British streets being sent to military prisons indefinitely without even being charged with a crime. Really? Does anyone think this is a good idea? And why now?

The answer on why now is nothing more than election season politics. The White House, the Secretary of Defense, and the Attorney General have all said that the indefinite detention provisions in the National Defense Authorization Act are harmful and counterproductive. The White House has even threatened a veto. But Senate politics has propelled this bad legislation to the Senate floor.

But there is a way to stop this dangerous legislation. Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) is offering the Udall Amendment that will delete the harmful provisions and replace them with a requirement for an orderly Congressional review of detention power. The Udall Amendment will make sure that the bill matches up with American values.

In support of this harmful bill, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) explained that the bill will “basically say in law for the first time that the homeland is part of the battlefield” and people can be imprisoned without charge or trial “American citizen or not.” Another supporter, Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) also declared that the bill is needed because “America is part of the battlefield.”

The solution is the Udall Amendment; a way for the Senate to say no to indefinite detention without charge or trial anywhere in the world where any president decides to use the military. Instead of simply going along with a bill that was drafted in secret and is being jammed through the Senate, the Udall Amendment deletes the provisions and sets up an orderly review of detention power. It tries to take the politics out and put American values back in.

In response to proponents of the indefinite detention legislation who contend that the bill “applies to American citizens and designates the world as the battlefield,” and that the “heart of the issue is whether or not the United States is part of the battlefield,” Sen. Udall disagrees, and says that we can win this fight without worldwide war and worldwide indefinite detention.

The senators pushing the indefinite detention proposal have made their goals very clear that they want an okay for a worldwide military battlefield, that even extends to your hometown. That is an extreme position that will forever change our country.

Now is the time to stop this bad idea. Please urge your senators to vote YES on the Udall Amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act.

UPDATE: Don’t be confused by anyone claiming that the indefinite detention legislation does not apply to American citizens. It does. There is an exemption for American citizens from the mandatory detention requirement (section 1032 of the bill), but no exemption for American citizens from the authorization to use the military to indefinitely detain people without charge or trial (section 1013 of the bill). So, the result is that, under the bill, the military has the power to indefinitely imprison American citizens, but it does not have to use its power unless ordered to do so.

But you don’t have to believe us. Instead, read what one of the bill’s sponsors, Sen. Lindsey Graham said about it on the Senate floor: “1031, the statement of authority to detain, does apply to American citizens and it designates the world as the battlefield, including the homeland.”

There you have it — indefinite military detention of American citizens without charge or trial. And the Senate is likely to vote on it Monday or Tuesday.

Source: http://www.aclu.org/...ey-define-being

If this isn't related to the rising indignation of a government run by millionaires, not representatives of the people, I'll eat my hat.

#15 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

While nearly all Americans head to family and friends to celebrate Thanksgiving, the Senate is gearing up for a vote on Monday or Tuesday that goes to the very heart of who we are as Americans. The Senate will be voting on a bill that will direct American military resources not at an enemy shooting at our military in a war zone, but at American citizens and other civilians far from any battlefield — even people in the United States itself.

As a member of the military, I will stand here now and say that if I am ever given the order to shoot at American's for protesting, I will take off my uniform and walk away. Granted, part of my oath says to protect against all enemies, foreign and domestic, but protesting is part of the whole "freedom of speech" thingy (as long as it's not violent).

#16 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

Whiny, yes. Fail, maybe not. I think once more people start realizing the true meaning behind OWS, they will join in. I don't think it's fair the way the country is ran (with banks controlling everything, money buying politics, etc). America is supposed to be a "monopoly-free country" but we have businesses that are "too big to fail," which means they are a monopoly and by law they shouldn't exist, but they do.

You don't know what monopoly means. Seriously consider going back to school and getting an education before going to these protests.

#17 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

You don't know what monopoly means. Seriously consider going back to school and getting an education before going to these protests.

According to Dictionary.com

"exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices."

So yes, I do know what a monopoly means. When bigger banks (Bank of America, for one) is going around buying up smaller banks so there's less competition, that constitutes them as a monopoly. Banks do this, insurance companies do this, hell, even places like Burger King do this.

And I never said I went to these protests. Before you say "go back to school" maybe you should take into consideration the fact that I AM in school and taking a class that specifically talks about monopolies and how the majority of American wealth is in the hand of less than 1% of the population, which is one of the biggest complaints from OWS

#18 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

Edit:My bad. What I get for commenting when I'm tired.

Edited by Therion, 29 November 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#19 supertrap

supertrap
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

"exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices."

So yes, I do know what a monopoly means. When bigger banks (Bank of America, for one) is going around buying up smaller banks so there's less competition, that constitutes them as a monopoly. Banks do this, insurance companies do this, hell, even places like Burger King do this.

And I never said I went to these protests. Before you say "go back to school" maybe you should take into consideration the fact that I AM in school and taking a class that specifically talks about monopolies and how the majority of American wealth is in the hand of less than 1% of the population, which is one of the biggest complaints from OWS

Ignorant people tend to disappear from discussions when someone uses logic and fact to debate their no-ground-to-stand-on-opinions. Like implying America is not full of companies close to the term "monopoly". Keep up the truth, ignore the haters.:rolleyes:

Ignorant people are ignorant.

It's not just banks. News Corp buy up whatever they can as well. The only saving grace in that instance is there are still a few regulations.

Did he say just banks? I dont think so. If you read more than just the bolded....

*facepalm

#20 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

Almost makes me forget Obama didn't mention god in his Thanksgiving speech. Heresy.

#21 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:42 AM

But there's no exclusive control by one company allowing competition excluding the notion of a monopoly.

Come on, as a student specialising in this, economic 101 should be your thing? Right?

#22 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:29 AM

The fact that one has to go ask them only emphasizes the fact that the OWS movement has yet to vocalize itself. Many just see a swarm of people gathering at random places in the US to protest something only they can see. Even if the mainstream media has yet to completely acknowledge the legitimacy of the movement, they should have found other mediums to bring immediate attention to their purpose.

#23 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

The fact that one has to go ask them only emphasizes the fact that the OWS movement has yet to vocalize itself. Many just see a swarm of people gathering at random places in the US to protest something only they can see. Even if the mainstream media has yet to completely acknowledge the legitimacy of the movement, they should have found other mediums to bring immediate attention to their purpose.

I think you'll find that the bigger occupy groups know exactly what they want. Much of the media is trying to slow down the protests by villifying them as disorganised and aimless in their ideals. We have occupy groups in my country, and because our country itself is quite small, the groups are quite small and are also divided by 3 cities. Which paints the picture of a bunch of misfits just looking to annoy, and a few major news outlets here have capitalised on that to try and discredit them.

#24 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

I think you'll find that the bigger occupy groups know exactly what they want. Much of the media is trying to slow down the protests by villifying them as disorganised and aimless in their ideals. We have occupy groups in my country, and because our country itself is quite small, the groups are quite small and are also divided by 3 cities. Which paints the picture of a bunch of misfits just looking to annoy, and a few major news outlets here have capitalised on that to try and discredit them.

There are other outlets (aside from mainstream media) that the Occupy movement could've used to spread its message. Look at what happened in Egypt for example; an entire revolution gained steam through social media. They haven't utilized all their resources. It's disappointing to be frank.

#25 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

But there's no exclusive control by one company allowing competition excluding the notion of a monopoly.

Come on, as a student specialising in this, economic 101 should be your thing? Right?

Negative. Economic relations is not my field of study. Simply, I'm taking a class on the basis of "who get's what and why" and the upper class is a HUGE part of the class.

There's no exclusive control by one company, but look at it this way. Suppose 3 companies control ALL the production of toothpaste. These 3 CEO's decide to go golfing together (since it's illegal for them to meet in a business setting) and one brings up the idea "hey, let's start charging $15 for a tube of toothpaste!" The other 2 CEOs agree and toothpaste is now $15 a tube. Any company that tries to pop up and sell it for say, $5 will be bought out and toothpaste is now $15 a tube.

You don't need one company to control the means of a production of something. All you need are a few companies with CEOs that make decisions like this to create a monopoly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users