Photo

Study Tips?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

First let me post my study techniques and then hopefully I'll learn a few too.

I hate studying. I find it ridiculously boring. These are some of the ways I take the boredom out and make myself go through it like a robot.

http://yaleherald.com/thebullblog/songs-that-make-you-want-to-study/
http://lifehacker.com/5861523/how-i-use-robot-mode-and-non+digital-creativity-to-accomplish-more-in-the-day
http://lifehacker.co...tting-work-done

Speaking of robotic work, I find doing pomodoros really good. Basically you keep your efficiency high by studying for only 25 mins at a time. This works for pretty much any kind of work. I use Pomodroido on my android to keep track. Here's a 5 minute video that's a bit more in depth.

What are your tricks?

#2 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

I made a game out of studying once.

I took a cardboard box, drew a bullseye on it, and the center represented a study break of 15 mins, and the rest was just "study more". I then took a mechanical pencil out of my drawer and modified it so it shot tacks. Then every 10 minutes I would take a shot.

I got a lot of studying done until I got good at using the pencil to shoot tacks. :lol:

#3 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 805 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

Adderall

#4 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

Adderall

-Dehydration
-Lowers your normal production of dopamine
-If you start focusing on the wrong thing then you're screwed.

#5 Moss

Moss
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

Actually going to the library, because there I won't be tempted to go on Neo......

#6 nyquil

nyquil
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

I took a cardboard box, drew a bullseye on it, and the center represented a study break of 15 mins, and the rest was just "study more". I then took a mechanical pencil out of my drawer and modified it so it shot tacks. Then every 10 minutes I would take a shot.

I got a lot of studying done until I got good at using the pencil to shoot tacks. :lol:

Best Idea Ever! although i'd probably just end up shooting the tacks >.<

For me studying is just a, "Okay Ryan(my name if curious), lets get this $h!t done! ..." then followed by me going to evilmilk.com for 20 minutes to avoid doing work. Even as i type right now I'm suppose to be doing my Non-Western Lit Final paper that's due in 10 hours. I have really bad studying habits but i do use the music trick myself (Classical or something like Jack Johnson) to help me get in the mood to be productive and focus. Alright back to the paper only 2 more pages!

#7 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

I wake up at 4am and cram until I get to the exam. Works well for me. That and I write answers on my thighs and wear a short skirt. That might fall under cheating though.

Adderall

That too.

Edited by Inver, 13 December 2011 - 11:25 PM.

#8 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

Leave your room/house and go study somewhere else. Campus, the library, etc. If you have a music player, play some instrumental music (helps you focus) while you study. Caffeine (not too much, or you'll screw your sleep cycle) works well too.

I like to read something, put it down and then try to recite the article/section by memory, whatever i get stuck on I go back and read. A more refined version is isolating the key points of a text and only trying to make sure you remember those.

Try to put an interesting spin on things. Connect what you're studying to what you want to learn about, I find this helps me with motivation for studying papers that are generally not that applicable to the area I want to study.

Convince a smart friend to get plastic surgery to become your doppleganger and sit your tests for you, may be expensive however. Requires 1 (one) really good friend.

#9 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

Anyone hear of selfcontrol for Mac? It blocks you from accessing sites like facebook so you can get your shit done

#10 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

Anyone hear of selfcontrol for Mac? It blocks you from accessing sites like facebook so you can get your shit done

Oh Mac. Always hip on the irony fad.

#11 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

Cold Turkey is the equivalent for windows.

#12 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

For me I Need to get away from a computer. Even if it's a computer without internet, it doesn't work for me. I need to physically be in a place without a computer, such as a cubicle or a library WITHOUT computers.

Having a motivated friend helps too, assuming you don't talk to them the entire time.

#13 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

For me I Need to get away from a computer. Even if it's a computer without internet, it doesn't work for me. I need to physically be in a place without a computer, such as a cubicle or a library WITHOUT computers.

This doesn't help me, I just use my phone. :/

#14 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

This doesn't help me, I just use my phone. :/

I usually give scheduled breaks for my phones.

For example for the exam I have in... two hours I need to memorize Name, shape, virulence factors, treatment, symptoms and other random facts of about 80 bacteria/viruses in total (amongst other stuff, but this is the hardest). So after every bacteria, I see how long it took, and for every minute, I get to reply to one text or read one rage comic :3

#15 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

I have self discipline; so, I just sit down and study.

#16 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

I have self discipline; so, I just sit down and study.

I'm jealous.

I like having study buddies and usually talk things out. I learn best by explaining so this works out for me. Other than that, I like to rewrite/organize my notes too

#17 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

I'm jealous.

I like having study buddies and usually talk things out. I learn best by explaining so this works out for me. Other than that, I like to rewrite/organize my notes too

Tutoring people is one of the best ways to study. It affirms that you know it.

#18 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

Tutoring people is one of the best ways to study. It affirms that you know it.

Definitely, I've been a tutor for 7 years (2 yrs high school, 4 years undergrad, 1 year of grad school) and it's definitely helped me learn the material. I rarely ever just explain it though, I always ask the person I'm tutoring to explain the concept back to me or draw it out or something to make sure that they truly do understand. Talking things out is also great for memorizing a lot of material because you can quiz each other!

Damn I missed my 300th post..when the heck did that happen???

Edited by Applepi, 14 December 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#19 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

-Dehydration
-Lowers your normal production of dopamine
-If you start focusing on the wrong thing then you're screwed.

HAHAHA I like that last bullet.

ROFL man! I don't think I can do a 5 minute break, I get easily sidelined. That 5 minute break will turn into forever.

#20 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Adderall

+1. Adderall is great, although I don't use it for studying.

Basically I just sit down and get my shit done. I'm extremely organized. I carry a planner with me everywhere and when finals week comes up I have pretty much all my time planned out depending on how difficult my classes are that particular semester. I finished all of my finals the first week of December, but since they included harder law courses and an accounting class that I have to take for my major even though I hate that type of class, there was more studying than usual involved. I participate in class and keep up on the reading in classes that I know are hard so that when it comes time for finals all I need to do is review and I'm good to go.

I don't get my official grades until Friday but I'm expecting all As as usual.

#21 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Adderall

Tried it last week. Incredibly strong and the side effects are pretty adverse. You get terribly dehydrated and hyper. I was unable to sleep for 2 days. I got my work done but I felt miserable when coming down from the high. I still have some left but I can't bring myself to take them...

#22 holaCarlos

holaCarlos
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

I don't get my official grades until Friday but I'm expecting all As as usual.

Posted Image

I used to be that way. Then I developed an immunity to productivity and it all went downhill from there. If I don't find a way to re-motivate myself for life this month, I'm in trouble.

#23 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

Tried it last week. Incredibly strong and the side effects are pretty adverse. You get terribly dehydrated and hyper. I was unable to sleep for 2 days. I got my work done but I felt miserable when coming down from the high. I still have some left but I can't bring myself to take them...

Couple tips for addy, since it's become my drug of choice this semester:

1. Eat first. And then set a reasonable time to eat again later in the day. (You're not going to want to, but your body needs some nourishment)
2. Drink plenty of water. A couple water bottles should do the trick, but another wouldn't hurt.
3. Don't mix it with alcohol if you haven't completely exhausted the first two rules. Both Alcohol and Nicotine will dehydrate you more and you will wake up in a panic.
4. If you plan on sleeping, buy some Melatonin. Take two or three and try and meditate until you get comfortable enough to pass out.
5. If you get nauseous, you need to drink more water. So do so as soon as you can.
6. If you get dizzy, you need to eat. So do so as soon as you can.

Basically keep track of your food and water intake and you should be fine.

#24 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

Couple tips for addy, since it's become my drug of choice this semester:

1. Eat first. And then set a reasonable time to eat again later in the day. (You're not going to want to, but your body needs some nourishment)
2. Drink plenty of water. A couple water bottles should do the trick, but another wouldn't hurt.
3. Don't mix it with alcohol if you haven't completely exhausted the first two rules. Both Alcohol and Nicotine will dehydrate you more and you will wake up in a panic.
4. If you plan on sleeping, buy some Melatonin. Take two or three and try and meditate until you get comfortable enough to pass out.
5. If you get nauseous, you need to drink more water. So do so as soon as you can.
6. If you get dizzy, you need to eat. So do so as soon as you can.

Basically keep track of your food and water intake and you should be fine.

Too much of a hassle. =P I had this white, pasty sorta film form over my tongue the morning after....it was gross. I didn't eat before but I basically force fed myself like it was going down the wrong hole. A "weaker" amphetamine would probably serve better, but I only have 2 more days of finals left and already studied enough so I'm done with amphetamines for now. =P

#25 ilovepolkadots

ilovepolkadots
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

Posted Image + Posted Image

also dry erase boards help me immensely
if i make some more dough ($$) i am going to buy a class room size one for our apartment
:3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users