Photo

Study Tips?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Too much of a hassle. =P I had this white, pasty sorta film form over my tongue the morning after....it was gross. I didn't eat before but I basically force fed myself like it was going down the wrong hole. A "weaker" amphetamine would probably serve better, but I only have 2 more days of finals left and already studied enough so I'm done with amphetamines for now. =P

Haha. Yeah. I brush my teeth almost obsessively while I'm on it. But to each their own. You might have taken a dose that was too large for you. Personally I dislike studying with it because it really doesn't get the results promised. Gaming on it, however, is freaking amazing.

#27 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

Haha. Yeah. I brush my teeth almost obsessively while I'm on it. But to each their own. You might have taken a dose that was too large for you. Personally I dislike studying with it because it really doesn't get the results promised. Gaming on it, however, is freaking amazing.

I took 30mg in 2 days. But yeh I could've gotten away with half that.

The way you phrased it, "...it's become my drug of choice this semester:.." I thought you used it to study =P

What do you play when you're on it?

#28 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

I took 30mg in 2 days. But yeh I could've gotten away with half that.

The way you phrased it, "...it's become my drug of choice this semester:.." I thought you used it to study =P

What do you play when you're on it?

Well. It started like that.

I finished God of War III in a day because of it. And I owe most of my Skyrim hours to it. It's also a lot of fun with Guild Wars. Really, any game works well. You'll get sapped into marathon playing. :D

#29 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Well. It started like that.

I finished God of War III in a day because of it. And I owe most of my Skyrim hours to it. It's also a lot of fun with Guild Wars. Really, any game works well. You'll get sapped into marathon playing. :D

I can see that happening. It basically makes that voice in your head that says, "keep going!" louder. At least that's what I find when I'm doing an assignment or project.

#30 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

The only way I'm able to focus on studying for multiple hours is to go to the library, have continuous coffee (thankfully Tim Hortons is RIGHT beside library in my school), and re-write ALL my notes, then test myself by covering certain things, then re-write all notes, and continue this pattern till I remember everything I need to. Practical exams are a bit more difficult for me, but I normally just stay in the lab class and make sure I know how to do everything we learned throughout the semester.

#31 italkaboutoddthings

italkaboutoddthings
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

My hell week just started yesterday with 4 consecutive exams than a 3 day gap before i take my 5th one.

My thoughts are doubtfully, " you will procrastinate whether you like it, or not". So i suggest you do all the basic things that can consume time first. Eg. Brush your teeth during, a shower and be Eco-friendly and pee if number 2 comes along and your roomies are gone, whatever gets the job done quickest :o. Do all your web browsing and cleaning first, eat while you do those small things. If your going to game have a alarm clock beside you to aware you of the time that passed by. Just don't fall into the grasp of " My Time, I'll DO W.E i Want".

Study tips

Spark notes if your lazy, first place you go if your far behind.
For say math tips and help " KhanAcademy on youtube" Basically all your profs calc and stats lessons condensed into 10 minute videos with a replay button.
Stay Hydrated
If you need to stay up, consume potassium " Da Banana"
Stay away from energy drinks the burn out will likely cause for slower reaction and studying presentiments, for on coming days. Precious study days that is.
Look for patterns from previous quiz or test that your prof likes to analyze. For say he/she only ask questions from the text that are in Bold font or minor references/stories in the text.
Acronyms -> Your best friend, make a song with acronyms!
Never fill your stomach, you will subconsciously force your self to hit the wash room all the time. To avoid work.
Study a subject for no longer than 2hours and take a 15-20 minute break. Believe their was an article where you only retain about 3/4ths of the knowledge after a certain time gap during the day. Just move onto another subject for an hour or so.
If your classes are all similar, what seems to work is to repeat the word and meaning multiple times that are repeated in the other text. Gives you a better foundation, once you get the jest you can skip the same context in other novels or text.
It already proven in most cases the prime time to study is from 8:30am- 3 o'clock. Again, since you were younger your environment from pre-school all the way up to high school made you focus during the times of it's operation. It should also reflect your study habits not majorly but in a significant way.
Never stare at a book or screen to long while studying, you'll feel, or rather your eyes will feel anxiety. Ever feel that burning feeling than you take a 3 hour break to waver it off?
Oh lastly what works best is, you put your notes into a story or a situation. To grasp a better understanding and reach a consensus that you have mastered the text. When you can accumulate examples for questions out of the blue you can safely say you can move on :p

#32 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

Get away from the internet.

#33 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

Posted Image

not really a tip but this is how i feel right now :(

#34 chini

chini
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:18 AM

-review review review each lesson everyday, rewrite what you need to know, do flashcards, practice via homework problems if applicable
-study sessions with classmates at least once a week
- Office/T.A/Tutor hours for help or with concerns
-Online resources (Khan academy comes to mind), on-campus resources: academic coaching
-record lectures
-Don't wait until last minute and cram for an exam. If you are already at the point of no return, get a good nights rest and eat. Look at your notes as much as possible. Abbreviate things to help you out.
-Get out of the house to study, if you have 1-2 free time at school, use it to study.
-If you work, get a couple of days off before the tests if you need it.
-If you have other things going on in life, try not to let it interfere with your studies and complete them gradually. Constantly thinking about them when there is nothing you can do at that moment is irrational.

If you find yourself doing these and still struggle, I would highly suggest getting tested for learning disabilities. Your school's psychological/counseling program should have resources to refer you or get you set up for that. Unfortunately it can be very pricey. I got lucky in that the school paid $900.00, while I paid $200.00 to get tested. I have always been horrible at math, and couldn't really figure out why. I have always struggled to stop my consistent worrying, I lost sleep a 11 years old for a week because someone hacked into my neopets account, and couldn't figure how other people coped. No matter how much I studied. So a couple of hoops later (2 months), I was diagnosed with poor spatial awareness, mathematics disorder, and moderate to severe anxiety. So now I get extensions for time on tests, double time for math, a quiet room to test take in, and can have certain problems omitted if they take excellent spatial awareness (I am looking at you, newman projections).

Having those accommodations has raised up my grades.

#35 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

I hear that Vyvanse is better than Adderrall. Longer release time (lasts 12 hours apparently) you don't get too jittery while the dosages are smaller.

#36 Jaws

Jaws
  • 538 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

I spend half the time studying on the internet and the other half studying on books.
There are some killer sites that are just videos of what you're studying, some subjects can be taken really in depth while others you'll have to further research on your own, Khan academy for example helped me quite a bit.
Or well just watching any documentary did the trick for me ^^
Studying on books just takes some good will, shut down your computer so you don't feel like turning it back on, and start your coffee machine ;)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users