Photo

Are DJ's real musicians?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

I was just thinking about this since Skrillex won three grammys. Since there's no actual singing or instrument playing involved are they still real musicians? I can definitely agree that he's an artist

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

musician [myoo-zish-uhn] mu·si·cian

noun

• a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.

music [myoo-zik] mu·sic

noun

• an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
  • the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
  • musical work or compositions for singing or playing.
  • the written or printed score of a musical composition.
  • such scores collectively.

Yes.

#3 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 805 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Grammys are a joke, everyone knows that.

#4 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yes

#5 themaskedmongoose

themaskedmongoose
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Why not? Skrillex takes the effort to create something that is listenable, if it has some cultural value then sure DJs like him should be considered musicians. It may not conform with what we consider music from a previous generation but our definition of "musician" can alter.

#6 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

so skrillex and Paganini is a fair comparison? both use instrumentals both compose music

#7 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

I think if you wanted to debate about DJs talking about whether or not they have talent would create more conversation. Since it's more subjective :p

#8 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

No. He just presses play on his laptop...

#9 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

You can argue wether a DJ is a musician or not but it all depends on the DJ, one DJ can just press play and let the songs play auto, but DJ's who take it seriously i consider to be musicians because it does take skill.
Would you class this guy as a musician?
Spoiler

Also at least Skrillex produces the music, it still takes skill to create what he does.

Edited by Red Chaos, 16 February 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#10 lonewolf

lonewolf
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Well, this question is debatable. DJ's who press songs on laptops all day are not musicians - they are merely playing a song for all to hear. But the serious disc jockeys who know what theyre doing with songs are musicians, as it does take skill to become a good DJ

#11 HanVan

HanVan
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Depends on the type of DJ i suppose.

I think the the word artist? instead of musician, maybe?

#12 zandra

zandra
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:35 AM

Would you class this guy as a musician?

Spoiler

i didnt understand half of what he did.

I would say that they are real musicians just that they are not required to know how to play the original instruments.

Then again, most awesome DJs have some music background.

#13 havocide3

havocide3
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Just because he doesn't sing, doesn't mean he isn't a musician. There may be no physical instrument, but there is a computer, a LOT of sound loops, synths, digital instruments, etc. If you've ever tried to DJ on some turntables, it's not easy in the least. It really is learning to play an instrument... a really really expensive one.

Non-vocal songs are still songs and their creators are still musicians

Edited by havocide3, 19 February 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#14 lonewolf

lonewolf
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Just because he doesn't sing, doesn't mean he isn't a musician. There may be no physical instrument, but there is a computer, a LOT of sound loops, synths, digital instruments, etc. If you've ever tried to DJ on some turntables, it's not easy in the least. It really is learning to play an instrument... a really really expensive one.

Non-vocal songs are still songs and their creators are still musicians

Yeah, i agree that those DJ's musicians; but some just play music from their laptops, and are also refferred to as "DJ's", and i dont believe that they can be called musicians

#15 HanVan

HanVan
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

I think we are all implanting what our own definition of what a word means into what we say.

If we all wrote down what DJ, song and musician mean (what we think it means) without looking it up somewhere. you would probably see the problem with the question.

:ninja:

#16 likerobots

likerobots
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

what i thought of:

No-one is a musician, they're not artists because nobody can play the guitar

Edited by likerobots, 21 February 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#17 havocide3

havocide3
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:32 AM

Yeah, i agree that those DJ's musicians; but some just play music from their laptops, and are also refferred to as "DJ's", and i dont believe that they can be called musicians

Oh I must've misunderstood. Yeah those people suck, they aren't musicians.

I think we are all implanting what our own definition of what a word means into what we say.

If we all wrote down what DJ, song and musician mean (what we think it means) without looking it up somewhere. you would probably see the problem with the question.

Exactly.

#18 lonewolf

lonewolf
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yeah i think your right,, the definition of each is causing some ambiguity in this post >.<

#19 Jun

Jun
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

No. He just presses play on his laptop...

I have just found out that I'm a musician too. Who will pay me now? I accept NPs.

Edited by Junjun, 24 February 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#20 Caisson

Caisson
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

I personally think DJs are like skrillex are musicians. It takes a lot of skill and knowing a lot about music to make the songs.

#21 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Perhaps I should have specified producers who actually create the beats themselves.

Also youtube Howard Stern on Deadmau5 he illustrates the other side of the "are DJ's musicians" argument (if inarticulately)

#22 Dollars

Dollars
  • 98 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

A good DJ is definitely a musician if he creates something original. Though I don't much like the musician you named, and do not think the Grammy's know how to correctly choose the best songs of the year.

#23 namida

namida
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

not in my opinion ...but they are eco...since they recycle other peoples stuff...Posted Image

#24 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

Another think you guys are getting a bit confused here is differences between a DJ and a producer.

DJ = Disk Jockey, "a person who selects and plays recorded music for an audience." A DJ is the person who fucks around with turntables blending together songs to make them flow together while maintaining the atmosphere
DJing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE80h-V3s40

Producer = People like Skrillex, Zedd, Alvin Risk, and Deadmau5, who make their songs by messing around with mixing tools, drum pads, midi controllers, and all sorts of other different devices to achieve something they love, and other people can jam to.
When a producer has a live show, they basically just try their best to make everyone in the venue feel as good as possible, while, in most cases, making themselves look like a crystal meth addict attacking multiple dials and buttons
One of my favorite examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPmmqBK8prM&feature=related

So no, neither of them are really just get up there and press play and fuck around, unless the DJ/Producer is a lazy fuck, but then again, I don't really think they'd get big in the first place by being lazy.

<3

#25 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

No offense but I think you are a little biased

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users