• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

I'd like to ask your opinions on the Lego Mindstroms NXT 2.0. (or 1.0, if you own 1.0 :p) Is it helpful for learning robotics & programming basics in a fun way? :D

I'd like to buy it so that's why I'm asking. :)

ty. :)

Edited by grapes, 07 April 2012 - 05:28 AM.

#2 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

Note: I'd just like to say now, that I have no physical experience with this - before someone icks me up on what I say.

Looks like 10 in 1 Lego kit. You have to remember that it's target audience is children from 3 - 15, and will probably constitute of a kit, which holds some exclusive parts not in any other kit. I'd doubt very much if you could learn programming or even more than the basic concepts of robotics from it. However, it looks like fun, and well worth it if you were looking for an enhanced, futuristic toy.

P.S. Just for reference: http://mindstorms.le...us/default.aspx

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

I would have thought it would be better and perhaps cheaper (in the long run) to learn how to use generic components along with a micro-controller like an Arduino if you're looking to get into robotics and physical computing as a serious hobby rather than just as a toy.

#4 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Waser, do you have any experience with the Arduino? I seriously want to get into robotics and programming (currently I don't have any programming experience though) but don't know where to begin. :o Any help would be great. I also want you to recommend a programing language to begin with. Summer holidays aren't far and I want to spend them learning programming (and robotics). I'm 15 btw, so please recommend something not TOO complex. :p (but not too simple too)

^probably asked too many questions there, but please try to answer them- I really don't know where to begin.

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

Waser, do you have any experience with the Arduino? I seriously want to get into robotics and programming (currently I don't have any programming experience though) but don't know where to begin. :o Any help would be great. I also want you to recommend a programing language to begin with. Summer holidays aren't far and I want to spend them learning programming (and robotics). I'm 15 btw, so please recommend something not TOO complex. :p (but not too simple too)

^probably asked too many questions there, but please try to answer them- I really don't know where to begin.

I've never used Arduino myself but a few years ago I was looking into physical computing for a project I was interested in (but never got around to doing) and Arduino seemed like the most beginner-friendly option for micro-controllers. I think they use some kind of variant of C++ for the software.

#6 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

I've never used Arduino myself but a few years ago I was looking into physical computing for a project I was interested in (but never got around to doing) and Arduino seemed like the most beginner-friendly option for micro-controllers. I think they use some kind of variant of C++ for the software.

hmm...I see. btw, for beginning to program, what should I start with? C / C++ / C# / Python /PHP / Java / Ruby / Pascal / PERL / something else? *scratches head*

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

hmm...I see. btw, for beginning to program, what should I start with? C / C++ / C# / Python /PHP / Java / Ruby / Pascal / PERL / something else? *scratches head*

That depends on what kind of things you're looking to do.

#8 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

That depends on what kind of things you're looking to do.

I want to make simple programs to begin with. :p

btw, what did you begin with?

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

I want to make simple programs to begin with. :p

Python would probably be fine for that, it's a pretty simple language and relatively easy to learn.

#10 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Python is good because it's high-level and dynamically typed, but C (seems to) have more support.

#11 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

Isn't C outdated? C++ seems to be more popular now.

I have a final question.

Would it be easier to learn C++ after learning Python?

Edited by grapes, 07 April 2012 - 07:56 AM.

#12 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Isn't C outdated? C++ seems to be more popular now.

I have a final question.

Would it be easier to learn C++ after learning Python?

Probably the other way around.

#13 Mishatu

Mishatu
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Lego robotics is fun, I did it in jr high (go figure, I was the programmer)

I like python a lot. A lot of it makes sense (provided you have a programming mindset). I haven't tried C++ yet, but if my friend gets around to giving me his book...

#14 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

I own an NXT 2.0 from quite a while ago and I can say that it won't help you learn the basics of programming at all. It's just inputting values into a program to make the robot do things. :p

#15 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Thanks everyone. I've decided that I'll be learning python first and not buy the NXT. :)

Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

:(

#16 Progoo3

Progoo3
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

I remember making and programming a physical robot out of Lego Mindstorms 1.0 a couple of years back. It clicks my mouse every 15 minutes for Mousehunt! I should have taken a photo then :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users