Vulgarities

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

It seems like using a vulgarity in today's world isn't such a big deal anymore.

Most of us use it everyday.

I am not against using vulgarities. In fact, when used at the appropriate times, it is proven to reduce stress and anger.

But what about the younger generation? Are we going to influence them into using it from such a young age? Do you think it is appropriate for someone to use a vulgarity infront of children?

Discuss your views. :)

No flaming please. Let's try to keep this as clean as possible :)

#2 likerobots

likerobots
  • 537 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

i'm a teen so of course i run my mouth around my friends.
i think of excessive swearing as an immature thing.
eg. grade seven boys who've just learnt how to swear often run their mouths as if they were sailors

i try to keep it clean around kids though. i hate seeing adults swear around their kids, it doesn't as much teach them to swear, it teaches little kids to be rude to others :/

#3 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

i'm a teen so of course i run my mouth around my friends.
eg. grade seven boys who've just learnt how to swear often run their mouths as if they were sailors

i try to keep it clean around kids though. i hate seeing adults swear around their kids, it doesn't as much teach them to swear, it teaches little kids to be rude to others :/

Yeah. I hate seeing adults, especially parents, who swear infront of their children and act as if it were not a big deal.

I tend to swear around my friends too but only when I am frustrated.

#4 sutures

sutures
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:19 AM

well i think you summed it up already, it's about context!
i don't see why there's anything wrong with a group of adults swearing, but when children become involved and then it becomes another issue.
i think most people don't like the idea of swearing around children, and thus most people try not to

exactly~ but also, once you get over that immature stage you stare to ease up on the swearing -- it becomes less of a novelty and you start to understand when it is and isn't appropriate

#5 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:19 AM

Besides the very young < 6-7 years old there is no censorship in my household growing up, by the age of 15 it is normal to use vulgarities and cuss. By the age of 16 it gets old and you don't say it because you can but you actually use them appropriately and as embellishments to stories.

#6 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

It seems like using a vulgarity in today's world isn't such a big deal anymore.

Most of us use it everyday.

I am not against using vulgarities. In fact, when used at the appropriate times, it is proven to reduce stress and anger.

But what about the younger generation? Are we going to influence them into using it from such a young age? Do you think it is appropriate for someone to use a vulgarity infront of children?

Discuss your views. :)

No flaming please. Let's try to keep this as clean as possible :)

No flaming?! Where's the fun in that? :(
Here goes anyway...

I personally think that there is no harm with using vulgarities amongst children from the age of 5 upward. From that age they begin to develop some sort of reasoning/understanding of actions. As long as the action can be explained and nothing is hidden from the child(ren) there should be no problem. Of course, it will all depend upon the psychological aspects, particularly the attachment type (Ainsworth), between them and their caregivers, but that can just be taken as an extraneous factor.

#7 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

Besides the very young < 6-7 years old there is no censorship in my household growing up, by the age of 15 it is normal to use vulgarities and cuss. By the age of 16 it gets old and you don't say it because you can but you actually use them appropriately and as embellishments to stories.

I am an Asian and swearing in the house is totally frowned upon. Only my dad is allowed to swear and even then, he doesn't dare swear infront of his dad (my grandad).

No flaming?! Where's the fun in that? :(
Here goes anyway...

I personally think that there is no harm with using vulgarities amongst children from the age of 5 upward. From that age they begin to develop some sort of reasoning/understanding of actions. As long as the action can be explained and nothing is hidden from the child(ren) there should be no problem. Of course, it will all depend upon the psychological aspects, particularly the attachment type (Ainsworth), between them and their caregivers, but that can just be taken as an extraneous factor.

Haha, I see you read the small text :)

I don't think children between the age of 5 and (maybe) 10 should be allowed to swear. I doubt most of them that know the swear words do not know the meaning behind them.

Plus, I guess it is morally wrong for someone that young to swear. That's just me I guess.

#8 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:28 AM

From what I've observed if children are "allowed" to swear then they don't or they do far less and generally within the context the word was intended for which I find to be far less harmful than the kids who swear non-stop as soon as they're hitting middle school/high school.

#9 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

Haha, I see you read the small text :)

I don't think children between the age of 5 and (maybe) 10 should be allowed to swear. I doubt most of them that know the swear words do not know the meaning behind them.

Plus, I guess it is morally wrong for someone that young to swear. That's just me I guess.

"Always read the small print." If you view it from my perspective, if the person using know what it means, and knows how/when to use it, there's really no problem. However, in most cultures, swearing is just frowned upon because it's 'tradition' not to - it's drilled into your head that it's bad and shouldn't be done. Like Yung said, if the words are associated with being bad, then there's more of a chance for them to be used due to that 'badman' feeling you gain from it.

P.S. We've managed to go 8 posts without a single flame, and Yung's here too! Well done guys. :p

#10 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

"Always read the small print." If you view it from my perspective, if the person using know what it means, and knows how/when to use it, there's really no problem. However, in most cultures, swearing is just frowned upon because it's 'tradition' not to - it's drilled into your head that it's bad and shouldn't be done. Like Yung said, if the words are associated with being bad, then there's more of a chance for them to be used due to that 'badman' feeling you gain from it.

P.S. We've managed to go 8 posts without a single flame, and Yung's here too! Well done guys. :p

I think what you mean is people tend to swear because it makes them feel badass? I agree. Haha.

Also, congratulations on our no flame war debate! :) Keep it going guys! This is fun. Haha. Gosh, I feel like such a nerd. >.<

#11 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

I think what you mean is people tend to swear because it makes them feel badass? I agree. Haha.

Also, congratulations on our no flame war debate! :) Keep it going guys! This is fun. Haha. Gosh, I feel like such a nerd. >.<

Yes, basically. It seems I've forgotten how to use that word. :p

#12 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:39 AM

Yes, basically. It seems I've forgotten how to use that word. :p

You're so badass, you forgot the word "badass".

:D

#13 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

It really depends on the environment you live in. If I swore I'd probably have to go eat a bar of soap.

Im against vulgarities used in households. There shouldnt be a need to use it in a home

Edited by Junsu, 06 May 2012 - 01:43 AM.

#14 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:47 AM

You're so badass, you forgot the word "badass".

:D

That's the idea. :)

It really depends on the environment you live in. If I swore I'd probably have to go eat a bar of soap.

Im against vulgarities used in households. There shouldnt be a need to use it in a home

You have a fair point. However, is that in all contexts, or at just another person/being?

#15 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

Why not? If it really is a home then why not be able to truly be yourself if that is who you are when you are not in your home with your family?
It makes more sense to be true to yourself and those around you then to sugarcoat your words and sentences effectively censoring yourself.
I'm not saying you personally but in general, clearly you're against vulgarities but on a general basis why shouldn't it be used in a home?

#16 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

Why not? If it really is a home then why not be able to truly be yourself if that is who you are when you are not in your home with your family?
It makes more sense to be true to yourself and those around you then to sugarcoat your words and sentences effectively censoring yourself.
I'm not saying you personally but in general, clearly you're against vulgarities but on a general basis why shouldn't it be used in a home?

Oh dear...

inb4 flame war.

#17 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:56 AM

Oh dear...

inb4 flame war.

How on earth could that possibly start a flame war? This is a debate thread and I am debating. I even took care to note that it wasn't a personally directed question.

#18 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

How on earth could that possibly start a flame war? This is a debate thread and I am debating. I even took care to note that it wasn't a personally directed question.

Regardless of that, I think you can, in hindsight, appreciate that it was a personally directed question in it's well-nested implied meaning. Anyway, can we not do this?

#19 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

I'm tired.

*sigh*

It really is not a personally directed question, I'm genuinely asking for the sake of debate.

#20 McAwesome

McAwesome
  • 1% Awesome

• 284 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

Let's not let this turn into a massive flamewar okay?

:)

#21 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

I'm tired.

Go to sleep then. Let the real men do the debating. ;)

#22 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

fuck

#23 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

fuck

You? :p

#24 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

This is the most unintentionally hilarious thread in days.
Utterly pathetic.

#25 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

You? :p

I respect your offer, but I do not lean that way, so I must decline.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users