• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

This is the most unintentionally hilarious thread in days.
Utterly pathetic.

Now that you've completely humiliated us all and indeed we will be sure to cry ourselves to sleep for the next few days, do you feel like actually adding something to the original topic? I've been waiting for you to come and add something for ages Sweeney. *"ejaculates with irritating praise"*

I respect your offer, but I do not lean that way, so I must decline.

Bugger.

Edited by Russell, 06 May 2012 - 02:38 AM.

#27 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

Now that you've completely humiliated us all and indeed we will be sure to cry ourselves to sleep for the next few days, do you feel like actually adding something to the original topic? I've been waiting for you to come and add something for ages Sweeney. *"ejaculates with irritating praise"*

I thought you might appreciate getting a little light flaming out of the way so you could move away from the debilitating effect the obsession with such was having on the conversation.

Stephen Fry pretty well encapsulates my view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

Bugger.

Or not, as the case may be.

#28 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

I'm with Sweeney, this thread is pretty sad. I don't find it funny, just disappointing.

But to answer the original question, when I was a child I would not swear because I didn't want to be in trouble. When I was a teen I would swear in context, not excessively and never around my parents, teachers of elders out of respect. Now, I try to control my mouth, because I see vulgarities as a lack of self control which is unbecoming of a lady. However, I can't always be ladylike... :innocent:

I do not use vulgarities around my children. It isn't fair to them for me (or anyone) to expose them to that. My oldest (3) is just now beginning to grasp the concept that there are some things that should be kept private and some things that should not be said around certain people. Even so, she doesn't understand why that is, and I don't think that is something that can just be told to someone as a lesson. This type of awareness is developed over time (though unfortunately not as well for some as it is for others...).

Just came back to add that I actually do enjoy swearing when it is used like a sprinkle of flavor, not when it smothers everything though. Then it is just boring.

#29 MarvelGirl

MarvelGirl
  • 205 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:59 AM

I don't think children between the age of 5 and (maybe) 10 should be allowed to swear. I doubt most of them that know the swear words do not know the meaning behind them.

You would be very surprised what an 8 year old knows and understands, they know exactly what the word "fuck" means. I have a 8 year old cousin who uses words from school I did not hear until I was much much older. He knows the word, what it means, how to use it and many other words. He looked at me the other day and said "be right back I got to take a shit" Yeah, they know.

This is the most unintentionally hilarious thread in days.
Utterly pathetic.

BAWHAHAHAHAA! Love it! Agreed.

Edited by MarvelGirl, 06 May 2012 - 04:01 AM.

#30 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

BAWHAHAHAHAA! Love it! Agreed.

*cough* http://www.neocodex....ciation-thread/ *cough*

#31 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

*cough* http://www.neocodex....ciation-thread/ *cough*

You must have missed the bit where she also contributed the the thread :(

#32 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

Depends who you are around. Some people I don't feel comfortable swearing around. I think you definitely shouldn't swear infront of kids though.

#33 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Why not? If it really is a home then why not be able to truly be yourself if that is who you are when you are not in your home with your family?
It makes more sense to be true to yourself and those around you then to sugarcoat your words and sentences effectively censoring yourself.
I'm not saying you personally but in general, clearly you're against vulgarities but on a general basis why shouldn't it be used in a home?

Hopefully, I will end up raising my children to be respectful people. I want that to be part of who they are. I am not going to allow my children to cuss in front of me. It is disrespectful. If cussing is part of who they are to the point that they can't control it out of respect for me, then I screwed up.

There are things adults are allowed to do that children can't do. Why should swearing be different? I generally edit myself in front of children and my daughter isn't openly exposed to certain things on the TV or radio.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users