• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

My dad is a huge prepper. He's been reading about Greece and all of the issues they're having and called me earlier telling me that we're next for SHTF. Since my sister and I are both in our child-bearing prime, he thinks I should look at alternative birthing methods. (Less condoms = more kids)

Have any of you done home births or used a midwife? or have a family member/friend that has? (Also, do you think I should be concerned about this? Are any of you European people doing anything to prep for collapse?)

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

Always prepare for prolapse.

#3 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Economic or vaginal? Got my words mixed up.

Edited by Napiform, 14 June 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#4 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

I have a couple of friends that are midwives, and I thought seriously about becoming one myself but couldn't with two young kids (unless I brought them with me which is not fair for the mother). I couldn't have home births myself, but I would have if I could.

I have no idea about this from a doomsday perspective but from an economic standpoint it is better on almost all fronts to give birth at home. The thing that I would worry more about if the end of the world happened wouldn't be about the giving birth part - you know that that, for a hospital, is not that big of a deal. But taking up a bed for the days of care afterwards in a hospital that is likely overcrowded and understaffed just would not happen.

Of course I should point out that I am talking almost completely out of my ass here, so take that into consideration.

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

I have no idea about this from a doomsday perspective but from an economic standpoint it is better on almost all fronts to give birth at home. The thing that I would worry more about if the end of the world happened wouldn't be about the giving birth part - you know that that, for a hospital, is not that big of a deal. But taking up a bed for the days of care afterwards in a hospital that is likely overcrowded and understaffed just would not happen.

He thinks I should worry about all of it -- that I may not even be able to find a hospital to take me. He's thinking ahead into total collapse.

so take that into consideration.

Always.

Spoiler

Edited by Napiform, 14 June 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

Has he thought ahead enough to work out that he's pretty damn paranoid? :p

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

LOL. In this situation, he'd rather be paranoid and wrong, than normal and right.

#8 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 805 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

So this is a serious thread?
Wow...

#9 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

So this is a serious thread?
Wow...

Which is why it isn't in Chit-chat...

My first question is... are you pregnant yet?

(don't see why it matters, but) Yes.

Edited by Napiform, 14 June 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Ohhh, I was just wondering :)
Thread makes more sense to me now, congratulations ^_^

Thanks!
He was on me about it before he knew about the kid though.

#11 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

The thought of having a kid is terrifying to me. >__<

#12 Hydrange

Hydrange
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Oh, I have been reading about this lately. It is interesting, and has some benefits. It is important for the baby to have contact with the mother right after the birth. In a hospital they take it and they give it back to you like an hour or half an hour later, isn't it? Oxytocin is also something that worries me. They give you oxytocin, they put you in bed and they leave, coming every half an hour to see if you have dillated enough for the epidural. In some hospitals they do routine episiotomy, even if you don't need it! YUCK!

Got some acquitances that had a home birth a couple of weeks ago, if you want, I can show you the report that the midwives wrote and I can translate it for you.

If you are doing it for economic reasons the "elimination communication" may interest you. You will save a lot on nappies, I never heard of it before but according to them it works perfectly fine O_o
http://en.wikipedia....n_communication

This normally is part of "attachment parenting" which I am interested in. What do you think about attachment parenting?

BTW, about the collapse, well, I already prepared for collapse. I moved to the UK and although the weather is depressing I like it more on here. The UK is likely to stay safer because is not part of the Euro zone, and I now have a British bf so I have no reasons for coming back (I miss it tho).

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

Oh, I have been reading about this lately. It is interesting, and has some benefits. It is important for the baby to have contact with the mother right after the birth. In a hospital they take it and they give it back to you like an hour or half an hour later, isn't it? Oxytocin is also something that worries me. They give you oxytocin, they put you in bed and they leave, coming every half an hour to see if you have dillated enough for the epidural. In some hospitals they do routine episiotomy, even if you don't need it! YUCK!

Depends on the hospital. I was given my daughter immediately after birth and got skin to skin (mainly cause I ended up naked during delivery), but my sister will get hers taken away for a while after birth. I also got a routine episiotomy, routine in-uterine fetal monitoring, the most painful mucous sweep ever, and horrible after-care. I would love to give birth at home. Right now though, I'm looking at it strictly from a survivalist point of view or in case of emergency.

Got some acquaintances that had a home birth a couple of weeks ago, if you want, I can show you the report that the midwives wrote and I can translate it for you.

Yes, I'd love it. Thank you.

If you are doing it for economic reasons the "elimination communication" may interest you. You will save a lot on nappies, I never heard of it before but according to them it works perfectly fine O_o
http://en.wikipedia....n_communication

I was working under the assumption that the first few years of life should also be included in this type of scenario, but I was thinking that cloth diapers would be easier to keep on top of.

This normally is part of "attachment parenting" which I am interested in. What do you think about attachment parenting?

I'm not really sure what that is.

BTW, about the collapse, well, I already prepared for collapse. I moved to the UK and although the weather is depressing I like it more on here. The UK is likely to stay safer because is not part of the Euro zone, and I now have a British bf so I have no reasons for coming back (I miss it tho).

So you live in the UK now then? Was your form of preparation moving away from the area that was collapsing?

#14 Hydrange

Hydrange
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Depends on the hospital. I was given my daughter immediately after birth and got skin to skin (mainly cause I ended up naked during delivery), but my sister will get hers taken away for a while after birth. I also got a routine episiotomy, routine in-uterine fetal monitoring, the most painful mucous sweep ever, and horrible after-care. I would love to give birth at home. Right now though, I'm looking at it strictly from a survivalist point of view or in case of emergency.

Aww thats bad :/ They did a botchy job to my mother too, on my birth all was fine she didnt need it, but after my sister's it didn't heal properly, and now she has problems (nothing serious, just little accidents when she coughs or sneezes it must be annoying..)

A part of the report:

1'25am: Premature rupture of membranes, clear amniotic liquid, no fever, Uterus dillatation starts.
3'14am: Phone call: start intense dynamics. Leticia arrives (Leticia is a midwive).
4'40am: Regular dynamics, every 2-3 minutes. Marta looks in a good condition, she is in a leaning position. (Temperature, heartbeat and I dont know what are the other numbers), Leopold's maneuvers.
5'10am: Wishes to push during contractions, change of position, heartbeats: 135 per min, clear amniotic liquid. Vaginal check: erased cervix, centered, 7cm dillat, facing downward.
6,15am: Spontaneous pushes, intense uterus dillatation, every minute, strong pain on back, she feels the head pressing the back part of perinee
6,30am: Pushing while kneeling
6,40am: Irene is born. Umbilical cord around. Apgar score 9-10-10. Immediate contact skin with skin

6'70am: Breastfeeding starts, presence of calostrum, good holding, position, suction
7'00am: Late clamping and cutting, placental expulsion Schultz, placenta looks undamaged and healthy, small calcifications, three veins, fisiologic bleeding
Posted Image

I'm not really sure what that is.

So you live in the UK now then? Was your form of preparation moving away from the area that was collapsing?

Attachment parenting consists in carrying the baby like this:

Posted Image
Instead of using pram. Sleeping with parents instead of a crib and breastfeeding until 6 months old basically.

I have been living in the UK for two years. I actually didn't plan it much, I was desperate, because I finished university and I couldn't find a job, not even as a waiter... the situation back in that time was bad but not as bad as now, I started feeling more upset every day, stopped going out, I spent a week on bed, and one day, talking with a guy I met on an online game he explained me he was Russian but was living in London, I asked him what steps did he follow and he gave me a website, I put an advert and I had a few replies, so a week later I packed everything and moved. It was kinda desperate, now I think about it and I think I was crazy! :p Luckily all went fine!

Edited by Hydrange, 14 June 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#15 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasectomy

#16 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

I'd probably spend my pregnancy hoping for a water birth at home without pain relief

I cringed D: Why, Kiwiwi, why??

#17 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

It's actually not as bad as you might think.

I mean yes it is one of the most painful things I have ever experienced, but it is also so amazing and wonderful that it is easy not to focus on the pain in my opinion. Of course, I didn't have crazy 20 hour marathon labor like some women, if that was the case I might feel differently about it.

#18 PinkRainbows

PinkRainbows
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

guys make me feel sooo young :x

#19 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Attachment parenting consists in carrying the baby like this:
Instead of using pram. Sleeping with parents instead of a crib and breastfeeding until 6 months old basically.

6 months?? And here I was thinking you were supposed to do it for a year... lol I totally believe in co-sleeping and spending as much time and space with your children as possible until they don't want it anymore. They're only little once. I guess this is me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasectomy

I tried that, turns out I'm missing the vasa deferentia.

I wanted to with my daughter, but I had a disagreement with the nurses and ended up having one. I am trying to do this one without drugs for a couple reasons. For starters, I'm immune to darveset and (from what I've experienced/hear) they always want to start small and work up. They allow you to move around and switch positions more without an epidural, which is very important to me. Finally, if I do have to do it without a hospital, I want to know what to expect.

It's actually not as bad as you might think.

I mean yes it is one of the most painful things I have ever experienced, but it is also so amazing and wonderful that it is easy not to focus on the pain in my opinion. Of course, I didn't have crazy 20 hour marathon labor like some women, if that was the case I might feel differently about it.

Meh. I had steady contractions for two days with my first, but decided not to go to the hospital until my water actually broke. Even then, I was in labor for 14 hours or so just in the hospital. I would have still preferred not to have had the epidural, looking back on it.

#20 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

My first question is... are you pregnant yet?

Yes.

Not a proposal but... the very first time I told Napiform that I love her I took her to this spot just up the road from where I live a couple hours after dark. It's a balcony that overlooks a two hundred foot cliff, looking down at the oldest of the Ozark dams. The dam was all lit up, there were stars out, the full moon, and I grabbed her, kissed her, told her I loved her. Then she almost raped me.

Does this mean... *gasps*
Posted Image

For starters, I'm immune to darveset and (from what I've experienced/hear) they always want to start small and work up.

About two years ago, Darvocet was taken off the market for causing heart palpitations. So you won't have to worry about that one. :p
Shame too, it really helped my mom control her chronic pain. Now she has to take Norco and it makes her stupider than usual.

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Does this mean... *gasps*

It's yung's. Not conceived by rape though.

About two years ago, Darvocet was taken off the market for causing heart palpitations. So you won't have to worry about that one. :p
Shame too, it really helped my mom control her chronic pain. Now she has to take Norco and it makes her stupider than usual.

I didn't know. My baby is 4 and I haven't been keeping track of the drug world since she was born. What do they give instead, do you know?

#22 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Not conceived by rape though.

Bwahahaha!!! Oh you!
Most doctors prescribe Vicodin or Norco (hydrocodone/apap) as a replacement for darvocet now.

#23 Hydrange

Hydrange
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

6 months?? And here I was thinking you were supposed to do it for a year... lol I totally believe in co-sleeping and spending as much time and space with your children as possible until they don't want it anymore. They're only little once. I guess this is me.

My bad, I meant exclusive breastfeeding until month six and after that breastfeeding + other meals. I also heard about baby led weaning and I like the idea, I seriously consider doing it when it's my turn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users