• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Imagine if you were to visit Neocodex for the first time and saw a list of forums. It would be very difficult to figure out what Neocodex was. It would be better if we could explain to new users what we do, list our products, etc.

We now have a shiny new frontpage for new users coming to Neocodex that does exactly that. If you navigate to http://www.neocodex.us you will be able to see it (you might need to clear your cache or you'll just get redirected again).

This new frontpage explains what Neocodex is, explains some of the functions and features of the site, and is designed to be more inviting to new users than a list of forums. The idea is that we'll be able to present ourselves to new users with our best foot forward :).

As you can see, we're not exactly design geniuses :p. If you have some better ideas of how we could lay things out on the frontpage, please let us know!

#2 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Looks nice. Is there a 'history of the neopets cheating community' page in the works? That would be a fun addition.

#3 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

I like the idea! It will take some getting used to but I think we can handle it.

It is a little simple but I like it. I wonder if anyone will come up with some cool ideas to make it look great!

#4 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Ah yes, my badly cut+paste screenshots are there!

#5 Senrath

Senrath
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

I like it, except for the line about how our trading post is safe from scammers. I mean, I understand what it's trying to say, but it seems like it's saying that no one here ever gets scammed.

#6 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

This is really, really, really minor, but I think it might look more professional if the screenshots were hosted here.

#7 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

I like it a lot! Great for newbies, and it may help answer some of their questions. :)

#8 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

I still recommend using a landing page like the CAAP Forums use.

http://caaplayer.fre....org/portal.php

Same suggestion I've already made to Slink.

#9 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

I'd have something like a "Get Started!" button at the bottom of the page, which redirects to the main forum index. I'd also throw a link to the FAQ somewhere in there.

Great job though, this will really help steer new users in the right direction!

#10 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

I feel that the Forums tab should be the first one in the navigation bar (even though the Codex logo leads there). The way it is right now (all the way at the end) gives me the impression that the Forums aren't really a main focus.

#11 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

Maybe instead of the 10 most expensive items, the 10 example items should be random (if it's not too difficult)? The text above them talks about how often the prices are updated, but the prices for the items currently shown are very rarely updated.

(but I suspect they might be there for SEO purposes?)

Why?

#12 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Maybe instead of the 10 most expensive items, the 10 example items should be random (if it's not too difficult)? The text above them talks about how often the prices are updated, but the prices for the items currently shown are very rarely updated.

Why?

Or perhaps the most recently updated? That's already a feature on the main IDB page.

#13 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Or perhaps the most recently updated? That's already a feature on the main IDB page.

I like this idea better!

#14 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

I like it, except for the line about how our trading post is safe from scammers. I mean, I understand what it's trying to say, but it seems like it's saying that no one here ever gets scammed.

I agree. We have systems in place that hopefully prevent people getting scammed like middlemen and user feedback. It's not impossible to get scammed, but I'd say it is better than other places, at least.

I feel that the Forums tab should be the first one in the navigation bar (even though the Codex logo leads there). The way it is right now (all the way at the end) gives me the impression that the Forums aren't really a main focus.

I've moved them to the front :).

I'd have something like a "Get Started!" button at the bottom of the page, which redirects to the main forum index. I'd also throw a link to the FAQ somewhere in there.

Great job though, this will really help steer new users in the right direction!

Yes, we need a FAQ now. The get started button would be super useful. I'll add it.

#15 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

The portal is totally overwhelming. There's just too much going on there, and as a new person, I don't even know where to start looking. I can only speak for myself, but I never liked so much stuff cluttering a single screen.

#16 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

The portal is totally overwhelming. There's just too much going on there, and as a new person, I don't even know where to start looking. I can only speak for myself, but I never liked so much stuff cluttering a single screen.

I'm with you there. That's why we didn't do it that way. The idea is to make it as easy as possible for new users.

#17 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yes, we need a FAQ now. The get started button would be super useful. I'll add it.

You have a FAQ.

http://www.neocodex....sked-questions/

And I think it looks too stretched and thrown together, can you seperate it into boxes like with the Item DB?

#18 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

You have a FAQ.

http://www.neocodex....sked-questions/

And I think it looks too stretched and thrown together, can you seperate it into boxes like with the Item DB?

That's right! I'll link it.

Note: if someone makes a quality enough video about Neocodex and what we offer, I'll put it on the frontpage. Does anyone have any experience with that sort of stuff?

The frontpage is static HTML at the moment... so it will be a bit hard to include dynamic content in at the moment. We have a plan on how to do this for the long term, but at the moment, it would be a bit hard to do :(.

#19 kamelonu

kamelonu
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Throw that Get Started! button at the bottom of the page? If somebody is new they are going to read through that and it would be nice if it was down there.

If for some reason people bookmark that page, maybe throw a Get Started button at the top and bottom so they don't have to scroll down every time.

#20 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

Throw that Get Started! button at the bottom of the page? If somebody is new they are going to read through that and it would be nice if it was down there.

If for some reason people bookmark that page, maybe throw a Get Started button at the top and bottom so they don't have to scroll down every time.

I'll put it both on the bottom and the top. Thanks!

#21 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

That's what I thought as well. We might add some dynamic information in the future, but it won't be as cluttered as that.

Changed to:

"Trading Post: community members can trade Neopets items with each other. Moderation and the middlemen help keep trades safe from scammers and other dangers out there."

#22 kamelonu

kamelonu
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

I know I'm probably being picky, but you should capitalize the c in community in the last two lines.
Edit: Granted now that I look at it, first letter of everything under web applications after the : in each line too.

Edited by kamelonu, 17 June 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#23 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

I know I'm probably being picky, but you should capitalize the c in community in the last two lines.
Edit: Granted now that I look at it, first letter of everything under web applications after the : in each line too.

Don't worry about being picky :p. That's useful feedback :). Keep it coming :D.

#24 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

Neocodex is the premier Neopets community providing tools, tips, tutorials, programs, and guides to both legitimate and illegitimate Neopets players.

This would read better as: Neocodex is the premier Neopets community providing tools, tips, tutorials, programs, and guides for both legitimate and illegitimate Neopets players.

#25 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

Neocodex has one of the largest and most active community of Neopets players online.

should read as: Neocodex has one of the largest and most active communities of Neopets players online.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users