• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Adults who do not have HIV but are at risk of getting the disease will now be able to take a drug to reduce their chance of getting infected. For the first time, the U.S.

Food and Drug Administration

approved a drug for this use on Monday.

Full Article

#2 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Truvada costs about $11,000 to $14,000 a year.

They forgot the price. If you have the money take it.

Article: http://www.usatoday....V-drug_ST_U.htm

Edited by Dorkie, 16 July 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#3 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

It seems like there are much cheaper methods of preventing HIV/AIDS.

>__>
Like. . . . as far as intercourse, not having sex with someone who could be positive? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I make sure the person I'm with is completely clean.

#4 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:53 AM

Every patient who picks up Truvada at my store never pays for it. They always have some kind of financial assistance. I don't know if it's government funded or private, but it always seems to be free. Of course, those are people who are already infected. I doubt PREVENTION would be covered.

#5 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

It seems like there are much cheaper methods of preventing HIV/AIDS.

>__>
Like. . . . as far as intercourse, not having sex with someone who could be positive? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I make sure the person I'm with is completely clean.

I'm not sure you understand how sexuality works.

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

You mean you don't request a recent STD-clean certificate before jumping into bed with somebody? You crazy fool!

#7 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

You mean you don't request a recent STD-clean certificate before jumping into bed with somebody? You crazy fool!

Only if I intend to spend the rest of my life with them. Which is none of them.

#8 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Only if I intend to spend the rest of my life with them. Which is none of them.

That seems like a poor policy. STD's will spend the rest of their lives with you (save a few) regardless of if you want to spend the rest of your life with that person.

#9 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

I'm not really sure what you mean. I've never had a 'fling' with someone. All of my relationships have been long term.
I've never been intimate with someone that I don't have an emotional connection with.

#10 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

This would help people who are in love with/married to HIV+ people. Which does indeed happen. They can use this and condoms which would be the best. Sadly the people who need it most probably wouldn't be able to afford it.

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

This is cool. Maybe after it gets cheaper, it can be distributed in places with a high concentration of Aids or hiv.

#12 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

This is cool. Maybe after it gets cheaper, it can be distributed in places with a high concentration of Aids or hiv.

This is kind of what I was thinking. The fact that there is now an actual prevention just means we're that much closer to a cure.

#13 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

That seems like a poor policy. STD's will spend the rest of their lives with you (save a few) regardless of if you want to spend the rest of your life with that person.

So I should stop sleeping around? Why? It's fun, I always use protection and to date never caught anything. You're more likely to catch a disease from a cheating partner since you're less likely to use protection anyway.

FYI, most STD's and STI's are curable and not permanent. The one's of the top of my head that can be are the clap and HIV/AIDS

I'm not really sure what you mean. I've never had a 'fling' with someone. All of my relationships have been long term.
I've never been intimate with someone that I don't have an emotional connection with.

You're applying only personal experience to a worldwide issue. Not everyone believes in 1950's conservative sexuality. Unfortunately I can't ask one night stands to take a piss test every time I hook up in a club/sex site/brothel.

This would help people who are in love with/married to HIV+ people. Which does indeed happen. They can use this and condoms which would be the best. Sadly the people who need it most probably wouldn't be able to afford it.

£6500 is hardly breaking the bank to help prevent AIDS. Plus more often than not, the poor can get hand-outs from the government.

#14 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

£6500 is hardly breaking the bank to help prevent AIDS. Plus more often than not, the poor can get hand-outs from the government.

In America when a poor person is asking for handouts they might as well ask for the entire population's firstborn son.

#15 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

Nah, they got it easier than most.

#16 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

You're applying only personal experience to a worldwide issue. Not everyone believes in 1950's conservative sexuality. Unfortunately I can't ask one night stands to take a piss test every time I hook up in a club/sex site/brothel.

Yeah not everyone is promiscuous. I can't just 'hook up' and have a one night stand with someone. I don't work that way emotionally. But hey, other people? That's their prerogative.

#17 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Nah, they got it easier than most.

Well yeah, most of the world is 2nd and 3rd world. But to catch up with the rest of the western world we've still got work to do.

#18 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Yeah not everyone is promiscuous. I can't just 'hook up' and have a one night stand with someone. I don't work that way emotionally. But hey, other people? That's their prerogative.

Again, personal experience. You cannot apply only personal experiences to such a wide and diverse topic and expect it to be valid.

Well yeah, most of the world is 2nd and 3rd world. But to catch up with the rest of the western world we've still got work to do.

Admittedly the UK has it better than the US but both countries still dish out a fair amount of benefits and social care to the needy. Again, £6,500 per year is hardly anything to someone with a full time job or income and the government would more than likely pay for most of that.

Hell, most council tax is around £3,000 and people on income support, JSA or child benefits usually have that paid for them.

#19 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hell, most council tax is around £3,000 and people on income support, JSA or child benefits usually have that paid for them.

May as well be speaking pig latin. Is this what you call a socialized medicines?

The fuck did you just say though...

#20 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

May as well be speaking pig latin. Is this what you call a socialized medicines?

The fuck did you just say though...

Council Tax is what is paid for local services like libraries, police, fire service, schools etc and is based on the value of your property so people pay somewhere between £800 and £2500 (not £3000) per year. Income Support is a means tested benefit given to people on low incomes who have a decent reason for not being able to work like if they're disabled or ill etc. JSA is Job Seekers Allowance which is a benefit given to people currently unemployed and actively looking for work and child benefit is what it sounds like, a benefit given to people with children until they're 18 (I think).

#21 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

Again, personal experience. You cannot apply only personal experiences to such a wide and diverse topic and expect it to be valid.

Admittedly the UK has it better than the US but both countries still dish out a fair amount of benefits and social care to the needy. Again, £6,500 per year is hardly anything to someone with a full time job or income and the government would more than likely pay for most of that.

Our population is way bigger than yours and you give out more benefits than us. We have the second largest child poverty rate in the western world. Our system needs to be fixed but so far no one has been willing to fix it the first thing they scream is "we need a bigger budget" it's bs because they know the majority will always refuse to vote for a tax increase.

Edited by Mishelle, 19 July 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#22 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

I think you forgot I live in the UK as well.

#23 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'm talking about the US not the UK

#24 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Council Tax is what is paid for local services like libraries, police, fire service, schools etc and is based on the value of your property so people pay somewhere between £800 and £2500 (not £3000) per year. Income Support is a means tested benefit given to people on low incomes who have a decent reason for not being able to work like if they're disabled or ill etc. JSA is Job Seekers Allowance which is a benefit given to people currently unemployed and actively looking for work and child benefit is what it sounds like, a benefit given to people with children until they're 18 (I think).

Why thank you sah. :hi:

I think that your Council Tax is about equivalent to municipal property taxes in the US. Income Support is equivalent to US welfare checks. JSA has no equivalent in the US, besides welfare checks. But none of those would cover medical attention in the US; we use a payroll based system to pay for medicare and medicaid. So I'm struggling to see why they were brought up in the first place? It's kind of snarky to scoff and say "that's not too much money to pay" when most countries (including the US) don't have anywhere near to full coverage.

15 grand is more than a minimum wage worker with a 40 hr work week would make in a year. (15,080) That's using Texas's 7.25 minimum for non-restaurant workers. I think that's a federal standard actually.

Our population is way bigger than yours and you give out more benefits than us. We have the second largest child poverty rate in the western world. Our system needs to be fixed but so far no one has been willing to fix it the first thing they scream is "we need a bigger budget" it's bs because they know the majority will always refuse to vote for a tax increase.

We spend the most but it's because HMOs take their filthy greedy share before handing out coverage. No politician (including the Democratic ones) will stand up to their lobbying influence. We don't need a tax increase, we need a change in management. "What happened to the public option?" They cried.

#25 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users