• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

So before anyone jumps to any conclusions (for those who know) no I'm not going through a break-up. I'm quite happy tyvm. But for some reason, I know about 4-5 friends who are going/went through a break up in the past few months. And of course, as humans, we all deal with it differently. Just curious to know what you guys do to help ease the pain, if you feel any in the first place (Except for Waser who is a robot badger spy).

I usually like to be around other people because then it gets my mind off it, and usually the company of other people helps remove any insecurities I might have about myself (like if I think we broke up because I wasn't good enough since I'm stupid or whatever). I surround myself with friends or I like being with one person and just venting to them (to the dismay of the other person :D).

My friend likes to justify the break up by bashing the other person, saying he isn't good enough etc. and having multiple sexual rebounds. Which... isn't my style at all. But hey, to each their own.

Which is the point of this here discussion topic, eh? Care to share?

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Unrelated: I almost shouted: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ad infinitum".

Best method: burn them in a sacrificial fire.

Posted Image

#3 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

I usually realize that most of the relationships I have are temporary and I should not grieve over them because they are in the past. Living in the past makes you a weaker person. Finding pother things to do with your time + going to the gym always works. In the end you'll come out buff as fuck and in a better state then you were.

#4 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Go out, find the girl/guy you'd wanted to be with the whole time. Take them out someplace nice, stack up the glasses and then impress her/him with a fancy yo-yo trick. Be spontaneous and keep this high level of overdoing it going the entire date, make sure you get a kiss in the rain on their doorstep at the end. This way, they can be completely blown away by your actions on the first date, so hopefully all of subsequent dates that are... not quite up to par will be less disappointing.

Posted Image

#5 MEGAKICK

MEGAKICK
  • 75 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Things not to do:

Be on heavy pain killers due to knee surgery which was scheduled two days after the break up. Feels great at rfirst, but once you're all out, it starts to hurt... Not to mention the knee hurting as well.

I just spend a lot of alone time, whether that be late night jogging/biking, hitting the gym, writing, editing, hanging out with close friends, basically just trying to get back into your old routine, pre-breakup.

#6 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I also started screaming when I saw the thread title and creator. Anyways, I avoid relationships in the first place to prevent this problem from occurring. Sacrificial fires are always a good backup plan though.

Go out, find the girl/guy you'd wanted to be with the whole time. Take them out someplace nice, stack up the glasses and then impress her/him with a fancy yo-yo trick. Be spontaneous and keep this high level of overdoing it going the entire date, make sure you get a kiss in the rain on their doorstep at the end. This way, they can be completely blown away by your actions on the first date, so hopefully all of subsequent dates that are... not quite up to par will be less disappointing.

Posted Image

This is completely irrelevant to the topic.

#7 nightowl

nightowl
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

Posted Image

#8 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

This is completely irrelevant to the topic.

It's actually quite relevant, my advice is to take someone else out. In a flashy and over the top way.

These would benefit the person getting over the break up by giving them something to focus their attention on, like a complicated yo-yo trick. It's also rather impressive.

#9 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

It's actually quite relevant, my advice is to take someone else out. In a flashy and over the top way.

These would benefit the person getting over the break up by giving them something to focus their attention on, like a complicated yo-yo trick. It's also rather impressive.

Ah. I had assumed most people responding to the thread would be above petty revenge dating. If your method of getting over a breakup is to make the other person feel as awful as possible and trying to impress people, you're doing something wrong.

#10 Habanero

Habanero
  • 275 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I usually just do stuff to keep me busy and keep my mind off it and gradually I stop caring about it.

Edited by Habanero, 25 July 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#11 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 805 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

http://store.steampowered.com/

#12 Habanero

Habanero
  • 275 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

http://store.steampowered.com/

That too.

#13 Honey

Honey
  • 442 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

... I got this yo-yo guy incident twice.
And everytime I wish I had a desk with me to slam my head on it or him with the desk.

#14 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

I try to avoid them at all costs, get rid of everything that reminds me of them, and just keep them out of my mind and my mouth. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

#15 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Go fucking rage with your boys.

#16 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

I can honestly say that I've never cared about the other person enough to feel heartbroken, even in relationships that have lasted over a year.
Normally it was a case of "Meh, whatever" and grab my bestie and head to a bar to celebrate singledom.

Thiiiiiis

Just broke up with my boyfriend of eight years a couple weeks ago. Jeez has it been that long? Time has flown because I've been having fun.

But really, I have never been heartbroken or devastated when a relationship ended. I guess I've never really been truly madly deeply in love. That's kinda sad when I think about it. OH WELL

#17 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hey, my brother is a bastard. You say it like it's a bad thing. Shaddapa your face.

As for break ups, I like to sit alone in a dark room listening to depressing music and thinking about all the reasons why the world is a huge pile of shit.
Oh wait. That's everyday.

Edited by Nymh, 25 July 2012 - 11:41 AM.
Edited out quote

#18 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

I was with my girlfriend for four years

Broke up with her two weeks ago...

I'm sorry to hear about your break up.

Do anything to get over it, there's nothing more pathetic than the result of not being able to.

THIS^^^^^^^

Go out, find the girl/guy you'd wanted to be with the whole time.

What if there isn't anyone else?

I usually dismiss the emotions as useless and unnecessary.
Why dwell on the past when you can do nothing to change it. (Or don't want to.)

Edited by Ivysaur, 25 July 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#19 idontknow951

idontknow951
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

You sing a sad song just to turn it around.

#20 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

I never said to have a revenge date, I find focusing my attention on someone else after a break up helps me. Especially a nasty break up, it helps me to move on and I grow happier more easily by doing that.

If there isn't anyone else then go find someone else. It's not hard, usually you know many people who aren't seeing anyone. Go out on a date as friends even, go out spend some time spoiling yourself or someone else to a movie or something. Doesn't even have to be anything fancy or leading up to anything else.

My main point was to have fun.

#21 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Pick your head up, and keep looking forward.

Also, destroy the stuff they gave you. It's like lifting a curse.

#22 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

I find a new hobby.

Actually, that's inaccurate. Usually my break ups occur because I have other things going on in my life and am massively attracted to self-absorbed men. They can't handle it and I just focus on what I was focusing on anyway.

Edit: and the internet. Lots of internet.

Edited by Napiform, 25 July 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#23 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Just keep busy, spend lots of time with friends, and treat yourself well. Spend some money on yourself. :p

Of course how long it takes to recover depends on how invested you were in the relationship, etc. I've never been in one where I was totally devastated after, since in both cases, it wasn't totally unexpected and could be rationalized. It was more of a "well... this sucks", feeling sad for a bit, and then returning relatively to normal.

#24 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

There has only been one time where I couldn't really get over a breakup.. took months.. then I met another girl and after about a week I completely forgot about the one I broke up.. that's when I realized best way to get over a breakup is find another chick.. haven't had any problems since then

#25 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

For me, the solace came in realizing that this is just not a good time in my life to be developing romantic relationships. I have a masters degree to finish so I'm very busy, moving to do afterwards, a career to start, travelling to do, etc.. Gotta look out for numero uno right now. :thumbsup:

You never know what'll happen (of course), but not specifically looking for anything makes life less stressful and healing easier. :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users