Quantcast

Chick-fil-A

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Chick-fil-A (referring to the American-English pronunciation of "fillet") is an American fast food restaurant chain headquartered in the Atlanta suburb of College Park, Georgia, specializing in chicken sandwiches.[1][2] Long associated with the Southern United States, where it has become a cultural icon,[3] the chain has since expanded. As of April 2012, Chick-fil-A has 1,614 restaurants in 39 states, and the District of Columbia, and is focusing future growth in the American Midwest, Southern California, Mexico, and the Philippines.[4] The corporate culture is heavily influenced by its founder's Christian beliefs, and unlike the vast majority of fast food franchises, Chick-fil-A is closed for business on Sunday.

-----End Wikipedia-----

Chick-fil-a also has a line of heart health(ish) food, a fairly consistently clean play area, almost always a parent friendly atmosphere. While my daughter has outgrown the play area, and frankly we're sort of sick of the place before the crap came to light. If my daughter was still in the play area age, I'm not sure I would stop going.

Edited by coltom, 10 August 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

You misspelled it in the title.

#3 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

I'm wore out arguing and correcting people on their ignorance on this issue.
There's so much misinformation being spread on FB, the internet and by Churches / FoxNews.

I've been boycotting them for years. Kind of annoys me people are just not becoming outraged.

I've already told all my co-workers and family who eat there to go fuck themselves. ;)

Edited by Gorix, 10 August 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#4 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

Food and government should be kept separate unless there is a health concern in question. Say what you will but Chicken Fillet has some of the best damn chicken in the biz and no politically charged position can change that. Same thing goes for the Papa Johns thing too. On a side note: as a retail worker slave any company that gives their employees permanent Sundays off is a-ok in my book.

#5 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

Ahh someone had to make this thread I guess, you could of at least spelt the name right.

Lol, Sweeney beat me too it :lol:

Well, this way the other thread is not polluted by silly Chick-fil-A questions. I thought that was a little rude.

Yes, it would have been nice if I had spelled the name right, now I don't know how to fix that.

#6 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

Well, this way the other thread is not polluted by silly Chick-fil-A questions. I thought that was a little rude.

Yes, it would have been nice if I had spelled the name right, now I don't know how to fix that.

Edit and use full editor on your topic post to edit the title.

Edited by Napiform, 10 August 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#7 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

No fried food is ~healthy~ Chick-Fil-A is overrated and I agree that food and politics shouldn't mix. I don't believe corporations should be allowed to lobby for social issues because that's not their place.

I've only had one Chick-Fil-A sandwich in my life because my uni were giving them away for free. I can make better in my kitchen I'm just sayin.

#8 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

I've been boycotting them for years. Kind of annoys me people are just not becoming outraged.

I've already told all my co-workers and family who eat there to go "self-copulate" themselves. ;)

So, while you spoke with passion, I'm not sure you really made an argument. They are Southern baptist, one does not expect a viper not to bite. They still have a pretty good grilled chicken salad and a decent lemon-aid.

#9 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

My issue is they need to stay in the business of making shitty fast food and stop claiming "We didn't enter the policy debate".

Bullshit. At least own up to it. Stop claiming you don't try to force your religious ideals on the entire country, own up to the fact that you're religious douchebags.

#10 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

I don't know if I could really call it a boycott since I never ate there in the first place. I do actively boycott Carl's Jr because they donate money to anti-abortion causes.

#11 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

No fried food is ~healthy~ Chick-Fil-A is overrated and I agree that food and politics shouldn't mix. I don't believe corporations should be allowed to lobby for social issues because that's not their place.

I've only had one Chick-Fil-A sandwich in my life because my uni were giving them away for free. I can make better in my kitchen I'm just sayin.

Oh, I agree entirely, and speaking from my position, the use of corporate money to influence government is disgusting on many levels, buying politicians is terrible. I'm certainly not pleased with their legislative agenda. However, while these are the same people that didn't allow me to legally marry two generations ago. I've not been there for at least a year, my daughter is too tall to park in the play area, but when we were younger we spent dozens of hours surfing on fast wi-fi and letting her play on the slides. The food, is a little on the high side but the salads are good, and don't have so many sulphates that I have trouble breathing. They are normally pretty clean, they treat their workers better than most fast food places (don't know how'd they treat a gay kid).

#12 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

Exactly the same as they treat their straight workers.

Except that's not true. ;)

All depends on the mgmt of a particular store. Found an article the other day from a lesbian who worked there, talked about a particular store where they constantly made fun of "faggots" and people came in all the time saying they loved CFA because "they hated fags". While she praised another store for being amazing to everyone.

I'm aware America is deeply, and stupidly, religious. I hate this country. I'm ashamed to be an American and I would rather sit in jail than serve in the military of this disgrace of a country. The day I have the money to leave, I will never return. </rant>
Basically it boils down to the fact that I don't feel welcome in my own country, let alone my own state, let alone my own town. It's a sad day when some Americans make it their life's work to make sure you know you're not wanted, that they hate you and they believe you are beneath them.

Maybe it's living in the South that has me so bitter. Who knows xD

Edited by Gorix, 10 August 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#13 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

If I've not been clear, the only reason I started this thread is to make sure people don't keep bugging the smoochie couple on a silly issue. I really don't care much, the legal authority of government and the moral authority of my religion rarely co-inside. Morally, I believe my wife has the right to marry me to a second wife. Morally, I think putting dead bodies in the ground is a blasphemy.

Gorix, you want to head to Houston, largest gay and Jewish populations in the South.

#14 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Oh, I agree entirely, and speaking from my position, the use of corporate money to influence government is disgusting on many levels, buying politicians is terrible. I'm certainly not pleased with their legislative agenda. However, while these are the same people that didn't allow me to legally marry two generations ago. I've not been there for at least a year, my daughter is too tall to park in the play area, but when we were younger we spent dozens of hours surfing on fast wi-fi and letting her play on the slides. The food, is a little on the high side but the salads are good, and don't have so many sulphates that I have trouble breathing. They are normally pretty clean, they treat their workers better than most fast food places (don't know how'd they treat a gay kid).

Former gay employees have been suing Chick-Fil-a for discrimination. They also discriminated against the LGBTQA club at my university. They claimed that they would give free vouchers to any student org on my campus but when my friend John came to get some for his LGBTQA club they refused him and told him to leave.

Edited by Mishelle, 10 August 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#15 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Former gay employees have been suing Chick-Fil-a for discrimination. They also discriminated against the LGBTQA club at my university. They claimed that they would give free vouchers to any student org on my campus but when my friend John came to get some for his LGBTQA club they refused him and told him to leave.

If they are going to be located on a college campus (and that is the closest one to me at the local school) they must follow the legal policies of the university.

#16 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

You'll find homophobia in any and every country, not just your own. It's a fact of life. As long as there are people practicing religion then gays will take a lot of stick for their life choices.
Personally I have nothing against gay people, love is love regardless of gender.
I found, since moving to the south, that I'm surrounded day and day out by people spewing religious bullshit. I leave them to it, ignore it and keep on doing what I do best - exactly what I want to do. I don't push my own religious standing, or lack thereof, on anyone.

There is a lot wrong with America, namely the political agenda. I listen to talk radio every single day and I am sickened by the stupidity and mindset of people. And like I said earlier, I don't care for Chick-Fil-A's beliefs but I'm not going to 'boycott' them as that is nonsensical.

You can ignore it because it doesn't effect you. No one is trying to take away your right to marry or have children.

If they are going to be located on a college campus (and that is the closest one to me at the local school) they must follow the legal policies of the university.

They're not on our campus they're just a couple blocks away it's still annoying though to say you'll give vouchers to any club then turn around and say O wait, not the gay ones.

#17 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

You can ignore it because it doesn't effect you. No one is trying to take away your right to marry or have children.

They're not on our campus they're just a couple blocks away it's still annoying though to say you'll give vouchers to any club then turn around and say O wait, not the gay ones.

My former junior officer and her wife had no problem having children, both have delightful little girls, born a day apart. Crying shame, the previous fools would not allow her to serve, thank you President Obama. My failure to turn her in was part of the charges brought against me.

I agree that failure to allow equal protection for a college affiliated club would likely should be a crime.

Edited by coltom, 10 August 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#18 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

My former junior officer and her wife had no problem having children, both have delightful little girls, born a day apart. Crying shame, the previous fools would not her to serve, thank you President Obama. My failure to turn her in was part of the charges brought against me.

there are some states where it's perfectly fine for adoption agencies to refuse to adopt to gay couples.

Nature already took that away from me.

Like I said, as long as people are free to practice their religion there will be persecution for any number of 'sins' that all of us have to endure.

I'm talking about adoption. Legally you can still adopt a child if you wanted to, can't say the same for gay couples.

Freedom of religious and crazy ass fundamentalist nutjobs do not go hand and hand. There are plenty of Christian people in Canada. Gay marriage is still legal there. The problem with America is that people allow the lines between separation of church and state to become blurred. That's why people fight against it instead of just letting the majority trample over the minority.

#19 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

there are some states where it's perfectly fine for adoption agencies to refuse to adopt to gay couples.

I didn't say they adopted, they borrowed some biological material. My understanding, is there was supposed to be only one pregnancy. Something went wrong.

Edited by coltom, 10 August 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#20 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Well gay men can't exactly birth their own bbs coltom

#21 HannahElizabeth

HannahElizabeth
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

Chick-fil-A (referring to the American-English pronunciation of "fillet") is an American fast food restaurant chain headquartered in the Atlanta suburb of College Park, Georgia, specializing in chicken sandwiches.[1][2] Long associated with the Southern United States, where it has become a cultural icon,[3] the chain has since expanded. As of April 2012, Chick-fil-A has 1,614 restaurants in 39 states, and the District of Columbia, and is focusing future growth in the American Midwest, Southern California, Mexico, and the Philippines.[4] The corporate culture is heavily influenced by its founder's Christian beliefs, and unlike the vast majority of fast food franchises, Chick-fil-A is closed for business on Sunday.

-----End Wikipedia-----

Chick-fil-a also has a line of heart health(ish) food, a fairly consistently clean play area, almost always a parent friendly atmosphere. While my daughter has outgrown the play area, and frankly we're sort of sick of the place before the crap came to light. If my daughter was still in the play area age, I'm not sure I would stop going.

I've never heard of them before (I'm in the UK). What is the scandal? I thought America was pretty conservative where religion was concerned, so why would anyone there worry about them being closed on Sundays? It's their own profits they're losing. :p

#22 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

Food and government should be kept separate unless there is a health concern in question. Say what you will but Chicken Fillet has some of the best damn chicken in the biz and no politically charged position can change that. Same thing goes for the Papa Johns thing too. On a side note: as a retail worker slave any company that gives their employees permanent Sundays off is a-ok in my book.

I see what you're saying, but I'm still boycotting. Goddamn, though, I thought it was so delicious and I miss those waffle fries. *Homer Simpson drool* No! NO I MUST NOT! They tempt me like SATAN!!

I am too offended by the way they've handled this scandal, and the fake way they say "My pleasure" at the end of every transaction. Hobby Lobby also closes on Sundays, but as far as I know, they don't donate millions of dollars to causes that deny a group of people their civil liberties. It's wrong. And for Chick-fil-A to be so unapologetic about their hatred... it's not something Jesus would be cool with.

To defend them for these beliefs is even more rubbish. Imagine if they were campaigning against the rights for hispanic Americans instead of gays. Replace the word "gay" with women. Imagine the headline "Chick-fil-A donates millions to anti-black organizations" Why is hatred against the gays so easily tolerated? FUCK this is an outrage.

Also: Papa John's gives me diarrhea. :(

#23 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Food & Politics do not mix.
I am sure someone has already said this, but I can't be bothered to go back and read right this second (I will later however).
Personally I don't give a rats ass what a fast food joint thinks of gays or gay marriage. I wouldn't care if they were sexist, or racist...
If I like their food, I am going to eat it. It's not the entire company expressing the distaste for gays, it was one man from what I understand.
Eh.. I don't even have Chick-Fil-A's where I live, so it matters not ! :)

#24 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Honestly, I boycott the ones with really bad environmental policies, that limits my choices enough. BTW, look up a company called Credo, they are a phone company for old hippies and free thinkers, plus people that give a rat's ass about the seven generations that shall follow us all.

Eh.. I don't even have Chick-Fil-A's where I live, so it matters not ! :)

The Breakfast is best, although there is not one local so I very rarely get breakfast, nearest one is 20 miles away on a narrow country road. Might as well go to Steak-N-Shake.

Gorix, I knew many good women in military service that risked a lot to serve their country, while still being a fan of tacos. I feel like you are missing the point, they knew the injustice of the political side of things, yet still they served, and they served with honor. I got brought up on charges for protecting my J.O., and now you tell me you would throw away their sacrifice because you think you're "rights" are not being granted in the way you want them granted? Dude, sort of feel like you're spitting on your sisters and brothers sacrifice.

#25 MysteryMunch

MysteryMunch
  • 53 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Many Christians aren't too happy with them, either. We're sick of being seen as a bunch of bigots who are using Jesus as an excuse instead of an example. For what it's worth, I'm Christian, support equality for GLBT people, and am really, really tired of people turning my faith into a reason to think themselves superior to anyone who isn't like them. They aren't worshipping the Jesus who touched lepers, ate with prostitutes, played with children, went to parties, and regularly chewed out the religious elite for being hypocrites.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users