Apple Samsung patent trial: Jury reaches verdict

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

It's interesting when you compare the outcomes of similar trials between Samsung and Apple recently in different parts of the world. In America the jury decided that Samsung was entirely to blame and threw out all their claims against Apple, in South Korea both companies were found partly responsible and both fined/products banned and in the UK and Germany the whole thing was thrown out by the judges.

#27 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

Happy with the outcome from a business stand point, I expect apples stock will raise on Monday

#28 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

This stinks as an outcome from a consumer's prospective because Samsung will only pass the loss onto who buys their products.

This case is probably far from over though, as Samsung will surely appear the verdict.

#29 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

Happy with the outcome from a business stand point

Why's that? This kinda thing is just gonna kill off competitors, plus it seems like a huge waste of time and money :o Everyone under the sun has copied Apple's products, why sue Samsung now? They should be busy making the next "SUPER INNOVATION" iPhone/iPad/iWall!
Also lol apparently this was all no more than 10 miles away from Apple's HQ! Wouldn't be surprising if the jury consisted of mainly Apple fans~ Most of them probably saw this as "wholesome American company vs Asian communist company who steals American ideas" or something :p

Edited by Turnip, 25 August 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#30 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Why's that?

He probably owns some Apple shares or something. :p

#31 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

If your company wastes most of its revenue on finding innovative products and popularizing them, you're damn right they have a right to patent that shit and prevent other companies from getting it. After all, why should anyone work towards innovation if you can just leech on the company putting the technology out there? It's up to the state to decide what should and shouldn't count, in order to promote both innovation and competition. Personally, I think patent laws should be lax in general since competition is innovative on its own right, but it isn't that simple.

I personally still think it was a dumb move from Apple since they thrive on brand loyalty. It doesn't look good for them to bully other companies out of the market. Once apple loses its cool and people stop overhyping "cuz Apple!", they're going to have to answer to all the companies breathing on its neck.

Happy with the outcome from a business stand point, I expect apples stock will raise on Monday

I wouldn't put my money there over the long term.

Edited by kami12, 25 August 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#32 Carialle

Carialle
  • 289 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

It's interesting when you compare the outcomes of similar trials between Samsung and Apple recently in different parts of the world. In America the jury decided that Samsung was entirely to blame and threw out all their claims against Apple, in South Korea both companies were found partly responsible and both fined/products banned and in the UK and Germany the whole thing was thrown out by the judges.

That's right.
In Germany, we don't have Software Patents for example. They only excists in the United States. Isn't it funny that Sony holds the Patent of the Progress Bar? For us in Germany this is just inconceivable.

Edited by Carialle, 25 August 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#33 Habanero

Habanero
  • 275 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Reminds me of Wi-LAN suing a bunch of big companies over the use of Bluetooth.
"method for frequency sharing and frequency punchout in frequency hopping communications network."

#34 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

He probably owns some Apple shares or something. :p

Yep!

I wouldn't put my money there over the long term.

I would ;)

#35 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yep!

You stick to debating on forums, I'll stick to investing ;)

All I'm saying, bro... You're putting your money in one of the most overvalued stocks in the market right IMO. Get in in the short term for a miserable profit now, if you want, just don't cry when half of your savings get reduced by 50% because you decided apple would be a safe place to have them in. Apple shares are like apple products, it's hype. They're on the electronic market competing with every Asian company out there putting similar products for a quarter of the price. They know that, too, that's why they've started to protect themselves with lawsuits... and they're on the digital content market with both google and amazon growing at a quicker pace and being less predatory companies at the same damn time.

Apple is going to crash, eventually :rolleyes:. The only reason that stock is worth so much? Good earnings and dumb people with brokerage accounts. You've got big banks dirt low today that are just waiting on the steady recovery of the economy. I don't see why anyone is wasting their money on apple, other than not being able to look beyond their iphones for business decisions.

Edited by kami12, 25 August 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#36 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

All I'm saying, bro... You're putting your money in one of the most overvalued stocks in the market right IMO. Get in in the short term for a miserable profit now, if you want, just don't cry when half of your savings get reduced by 50% because you decided apple would be a safe place to have them in. Apple shares are like apple products, it's hype. They're on the electronic market competing with every Asian company out there putting similar products for a quarter of the price. They know that, too, that's why they've started to protect themselves with lawsuits... and they're on the digital content market with both google and amazon growing at a quicker pace and being less predatory companies at the same damn time.

Apple is going to crash, eventually :rolleyes:. The only reason that stock is worth so much? Good earnings and dumb people with brokerage accounts. You've got big banks dirt low today that are just waiting on the steady recovery of the economy. I don't see why anyone is wasting their money on apple, other than not being able to look beyond their iphones for business decisions.

kami12 might actually be onto something here. It seems to me like Apple is in a bubble right now, since to me it's resembling something we would have saw during the 1999/2000 tech bubble. Apple didn't suddenly add a bunch of value to their company recently, as far as I know, yet the stock climbed from 600 all the way to 660-ish. This was before the patent verdict.

I could get into a big rant about Facebook stock too, but I probably shouldn't.

#37 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

kami12 might actually be onto something here. It seems to me like Apple is in a bubble right now, since to me it's resembling something we would have saw during the 1999/2000 tech bubble. Apple didn't suddenly add a bunch of value to their company recently, as far as I know, yet the stock climbed from 600 all the way to 660-ish. This was before the patent verdict.

I could get into a big rant about Facebook stock too, but I probably shouldn't.

It's being pushed up due to a weak dollar. As the dollar strengthens again we'll see the stock price come down imo.

#38 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

The $60 difference doesn't matter long term though, it may drop in the next few months, but their p/e ratio is still only 15.59. I don't considered them over-valued at all, they own the market and have had constant growth for many years. Not to mention they just recently announced a dividend. I bought nearly all my apple shares at below $300 though, so I won't be disappointed either way.

I warned people about facebook when it first announced going public.. now I can laugh at them.. 100+ p/e ratio? haaa

#39 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

Posted Image

#40 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

http://www.androidpi...s-apple-android

Ohhh baby :o

#41 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

http://www.reuters.c...E87Q06N20120827

Samsung products comprise 26 percent of the component cost of the iPhone

"Apple needs Samsung to make the iPhone and iPad. Period. Samsung is the sole supplier of Apple's processing chips and without Samsung, they can't make these products,"

The plot thickens

#42 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

The plot thickens

Oh shi-

I'm seriously excited to see how this turns out especially since Apple's old retail chief has taken over JC Penny and decided to have all their sales people use iPads.

Edited by Mishelle, 28 August 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#43 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

I think you mean "Stock owners perspective". This lawsuit means that anyone can grab a patent on anything (Using a pointer to interact with objects) and then anyone that uses it would have to pay, regardless of the fact that its been around for ages. People could patent using x material, and they would win, despite its high usage for years.

This is horrible bad for business, and consumers, awesome as hell for patent owners.

Why's that? This kinda thing is just gonna kill off competitors, plus it seems like a huge waste of time and money :o Everyone under the sun has copied Apple's products, why sue Samsung now? They should be busy making the next "SUPER INNOVATION" iPhone/iPad/iWall!
Also lol apparently this was all no more than 10 miles away from Apple's HQ! Wouldn't be surprising if the jury consisted of mainly Apple fans~ Most of them probably saw this as "wholesome American company vs Asian communist company who steals American ideas" or something :p

While some of applies ideas have been stolen, Apple has also stolen hundreds of thousands of other people's patents. The concept of the being innovators comes from excellent marketing.

The jury was blatantly biased and blatantly stupid. Here is the latest update on the case (Which will be thrown out and done again)

For those of you that don't want to read that.

1)The jury ignored the 109 page instruction set that the judge gave them to tell them what they needed to do. Most specifically, the awarded amounts to "punish" when the instructions said "Do not punish"
2)The Jury Foreman was biased, he is a patent holder and he admitted in an interview that "He needed to win this for all of them"
3)The Jury Ignored prior art. The immediately deemed all of apples patents valid and just decided on number amounts, because "prior art" was "bogging them down

So yeah. This case wont stand.

#44 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

I want apple to dominate this case, I want to see what happens to market after that.

That's it really just curious, don't personally care about any of the companies. Just more exciting if they monopolize the market.

Real deep thought, there.

#45 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

The plot thickens

Samsung also need the money from Apple though so they aren't going to cut off that supply.

#46 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

I heard a rumour that Samsung have delivered 30 truckfuls of 5 cent coins to Apple's California HQ.

But... according to WolframAlpha, each of those trucks would have to have a capacity of at least 459.3m3, and that's assuming a uniform density of coin which is impossible given that circles don't tessellate. That's four times the capacity of a standard semi truck.
So, I'm gonna say that's bullshit :p

#47 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

I heard a rumour that Samsung have delivered 30 truckfuls of 5 cent coins to Apple's California HQ.

But... according to WolframAlpha, each of those trucks would have to have a capacity of at least 459.3m3, and that's assuming a uniform density of coin which is impossible given that circles don't tessellate. That's four times the capacity of a standard semi truck.

It might be bullshit, but I think that'd be the most epic "revenge" payment. SO MANY NICKELS!

#48 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Where would they find enough 5 cent coins to fill 30 truckfuls in the first place? :p

#49 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Where would they find enough 5 cent coins to fill 30 truckfuls in the first place? :p

It's only 20,000,000,000 Nickels. According to http://www.wisdompor...USCurrency.html, there are only 841,720,000 ($42,086,000) nickels in current circulation. The rumors lie! :o

#50 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

I want apple to dominate this case, I want to see what happens to market after that.

That's it really just curious, don't personally care about any of the companies. Just more exciting if they monopolize the market.

We already know what Apple will do with an monopoly....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users