Quantcast

How is this hurting neopets?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

This topic, is for amusement only. There is not deep moral question, nor am I preaching.

I have noticed, that a fairly common refrain is made when people are asked why they decide to autobuy or score submit. I'll also throw in that I'm not real sure I understand all little codes and scripts that are used.

The common refrain is that "Neopets unfairly banned me, so now I'm getting my revenge by cheating". Now, certainly I understand revenge, it is hardly a vice that my spirit is free. What I can not understand, is why this is "sticking it to the man".

Here is my impression of the shop autobuyers, a script watches a high profit item, the script fakes a legitimate purchase, the autobuyee(AB) gets an item cheap, which otherwise would have been snatched by a "mundane" player. Dare we call them an honest player, but mundane will work without the emotional bias. So, now the autobuyer(AB), has gained an item, the mundane did not snatch the million dollar item. Now, what has neopets lost in the transaction? Now the mundane player has lost the valuable item, the AB gets the advantage. The AB will make his profit, funds will flow into his account from the mundane player, the mundane player will need to play more games, charge higher prices on his item, what ever it takes to now buy the desired items from the AB. Neopets, sees no difference.

Now, on to the score submitter. In this case, a person gets a certain quality of neopoints with little or no effort. It is almost like money is created from nothing. In other terms, inflation, where the money supply increases, the existing money supply is devalued, and in effect all the other mundane players cover the cost of the SS.

Now, I suppose there is a little "sticking it to the man" in the fact that AB and SS cheats allow one to by-pass the advertisements. I'm fuzzy on this detail, as I don't know how neopets is getting paid. Assuming that they're getting paid by add clicks, and not just renewals, than there is certainly a little decrease in revenue.

Now, if we frame the AB and SS in its simplest terms, human greed, they allow a person to gain material advantage with minimal effort. Only a cynical person would think that "sticking to the man" means, by Occam's razor, just a selfish justification for gratification at the expense of the mundane players.

Discuss, delete, ignore.

#2 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'm gonna move this to Neopet General Chat. Will read in a bit :)

#3 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hmm..Well, if someones account was unfairly banned I think what they mean with the "get revenge" idea is that since they were once banned for doing nothing wrong (so to ban them they would have been accused of doing something wrong) they're going to do what they were banned for just to be like:
"You once banned me for something I didn't do (like SSing). Now I'm actually going to do it. (and if they don't get banned on the cheating account it's like getting revenge at TNT because they're doing what they were once banned for without being banned)"

I suppose this puts it better: If I'm accused of cheating in a sport/game and then I'm not allowed to play for an amount of time (since making a new account after you've been "banned" is just like not being allowed to play for a while, since you're able to start playing again immediately on a new account), when I'm allowed to play again I'll do what I was accused of to "get back at" those who banned me (so I'd get a higher score or win the game.)

The auto-buyer helps them "win" expensive items and thus "win" neopoints. The Score Sender helps them "win" neopoints as well. Both require little work to run. (unlike those who actually RS themselves and pay the games). It doesn't really "hurt" neopets, just makes people feel better I suppose.

Edited by Satsuki, 04 September 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#4 GothicxToy

GothicxToy
  • 442 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

honestly, I don't care either way. Remember, it's pixels. I got one trophee from using SSing, but that's only because I did it literally right before it hit the new day. I didn't check the scores for who was in 3rd place, i just did SS because I noticed it was my poorest neo account, so I wanted to get some 'easy np'. The times and scores are relatively safe, because I've legitmately played the said game before. I logged on 'for reals' on the account the following day, and I got no angry message from a fellow neopian, so I'm happy. It's not the most popular game, so I think that might've been a reason ^^;

#5 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

I cheat because I never pass up an advantage, whether it's fair or not doesn't bother me.
;)

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

Off-topic: You have a strange concept of when to use commas.

On-topic: I think very few people would claim to be hurting Neopets by using programs.

#7 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

My VIAB is down today, please stop autobuying :(

#8 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

I AB because I am sticking it to the man and showing TNT who's boss.

If you don't AB you are obviously scared of the man and that is not acceptable.

#9 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

He uses them to mimic pauses in speech.

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

He uses them to mimic pauses in speech.

Emphysema much?

#11 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

But-pause-if there was any less-pause-dramatic effect-pause-then people may realize-pause-that nothing is really being-pause-said.

#12 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Let's try to keep on topic.

Now, I suppose there is a little "sticking it to the man" in the fact that AB and SS cheats allow one to by-pass the advertisements. I'm fuzzy on this detail, as I don't know how neopets is getting paid. Assuming that they're getting paid by add clicks, and not just renewals, than there is certainly a little decrease in revenue.

Bypassing the advertisements is also not 'sticking it to the man' because The Neopets Team themselves have said several times that users are allowed to use adblocking software (which is essentially the same browsing experience as a program).

#13 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

Bypassing the advertisements is also not 'sticking it to the man' because The Neopets Team themselves have said several times that users are allowed to use adblocking software (which is essentially the same browsing experience as a program).

Bullshit, my main just got iced again about month ago for saying on the boards how I use Adblocker.

...I didn't even say for what. -_-

#14 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Bullshit, my main just got iced again about month ago for saying on the boards how I use Adblocker.

...I didn't even say for what. -_-

You should have challenged that decision by providing appropriate evidence.

http://www.neopets.c...orial&issue=190

Programs that do not affect the game play, such as ad block, do not give a player an unfair advantage and therefore can be used.

http://www.neopets.c...orial&issue=230

In a past Editorial, we said it is okay to use adblockers on the site since people were concerned it could be considered a program. We told those folks not to fear and that using a program such as that to block ads is perfectly acceptable since it does not give you an unfair advantage over other players. A few unscrupulous people took this statement a little too far, and twisted our words to try and condone the use of this program to gain an unfair advantage. Yes, we did say it was fine to use this program to block ads, but using a program such as that to alter the game in a way that gives you an advantage over others is definitely NOT allowed and that is quite obvious. Remember to use common sense, and don't try to use creative wording to make your own loopholes in the site rules.

#15 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

You should have challenged that decision by providing appropriate evidence.

I did. My current reason for ban keeps changing. Now it says "Pending."

#16 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

I AB to be a rich bitch. No burning vengeance.

Too bad I suck at using the AB'er lol

#17 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

IT WAS SO HARD TO READ.

Well after you master RSing and everything else about Neopets, you can now master hacking Neopets without getting frozen.

#18 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

Now the mundane player has lost the valuable item, the AB gets the advantage. The AB will make his profit, funds will flow into his account from the mundane player, the mundane player will need to play more games, charge higher prices on his item, what ever it takes to now buy the desired items from the AB.

I don't think I can speak for all the 'mundane' players but as someone who used to restock legit, I never expected to get every single item I saw restock, sure sometimes I would miss an item without even seeing the haggle screen and think 'damn, aber' but that was the extent of it. I never had a quota to maintain thus I never charged higher prices on my items to make up for the missed items besides even if I wanted to charge more, there were other people selling the same item so a buyer would choose them over me if I didn't keep my prices competitive.

Us abers do help keep item prices low (because we want to sell off items quickly) plus since nps comes more easily for us, we'd be more willing to blow it on items for testing purposes such as finding out what stat increasers are the best bang for the buck.

#19 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

I cheat because its easy period . (.)

Edited by Leaf, 04 September 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#20 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

I can't read the argument... someone has put this great big straw man right in the way. Most upsetting.

#21 Patrick

Patrick
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

if anything its actually helping neopets:)

you see when legit restockers restock they like to get full price for items which mean if a aber restocks a 300k worth mp they will sell it for 150k or close to it, but legit restockers will want to get the full 300k since they actually had to work for it.

so we are helping the resellers and the players that arent as good and cant afford 300k:)

#22 weaboo

weaboo
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

showing TNT who's boss

#23 Badger

Badger
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Not all people AB/SS to "stick it to the man", but when they do do it for that reason it is in the sense of breaking the rules of the site.
TNT are very strict with their rules; heck, you can get frozen for implying someone is stupid (which people on the boards generally are).
When people can break the rules with a low likelihood of getting caught, it is very appealing especially since they get rich along the way.

#24 zandra

zandra
  • 791 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

This topic, is for amusement only. There is not deep moral question, nor am I preaching.

I have noticed, that a fairly common refrain is made when people are asked why they decide to autobuy or score submit. I'll also throw in that I'm not real sure I understand all little codes and scripts that are used.

The common refrain is that "Neopets unfairly banned me, so now I'm getting my revenge by cheating". Now, certainly I understand revenge, it is hardly a vice that my spirit is free. What I can not understand, is why this is "sticking it to the man".

Here is my impression of the shop autobuyers, a script watches a high profit item, the script fakes a legitimate purchase, the autobuyee(AB) gets an item cheap, which otherwise would have been snatched by a "mundane" player. Dare we call them an honest player, but mundane will work without the emotional bias. So, now the autobuyer(AB), has gained an item, the mundane did not snatch the million dollar item. Now, what has neopets lost in the transaction? Now the mundane player has lost the valuable item, the AB gets the advantage. The AB will make his profit, funds will flow into his account from the mundane player, the mundane player will need to play more games, charge higher prices on his item, what ever it takes to now buy the desired items from the AB. Neopets, sees no difference.

In this case, the mundane player is probably the top few elites in neopets. Would a regular neopet player camp at, say stamp shop for months waiting for a specific item? probably not, i would just buy it at TP.
Why let the top few elite with quick internet get all the items. Aber gives me a better chance in getting the items with my horrible internet.

Its not really getting revenge at neopets, its just getting back what we lost.

Now, on to the score submitter. In this case, a person gets a certain quality of neopoints with little or no effort. It is almost like money is created from nothing. In other terms, inflation, where the money supply increases, the existing money supply is devalued, and in effect all the other mundane players cover the cost of the SS.

Now, if we frame the AB and SS in its simplest terms, human greed, they allow a person to gain material advantage with minimal effort. Only a cynical person would think that "sticking to the man" means, by Occam's razor, just a selfish justification for gratification at the expense of the mundane players.

Discuss, delete, ignore.

I dont get that, but its little neopoints, it doesnt really matter, the time spent to create the neopoints is the same as regular players anyways. it shouldn't have an effect to create such inflation.

what i really like, is neopoints generator(no it isnt working now) it screws up neopets credibility as an advertiser.

cheers for the topic

#25 Slugworth

Slugworth
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

I don't feel it is sticking it to the man as much as it is a playingfield leveler. As a legit player for many years, I could not compete with AB'ers. This became my only option to remain competitive in the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users