• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

If you haven't ever heard of Joyce Carol Vincent:

On 25 January 2006, officials from a north London housing association repossessing a bedsit in Wood Green owing to rent arrears made a grim discovery. Lying on the sofa was the skeleton of a 38-year-old woman who had been dead for almost three years. In a corner of the room the television set was still on, tuned to BBC1, and a small pile of unopened Christmas presents lay on the floor. Washing up was heaped in the kitchen sink and a mountain of post lay behind the front door. Food in the refrigerator was marked with 2003 expiry dates.

Source: http://www.guardian....ery-documentary

One can only imagine how solitary of a life you had to be living for no one to find out for 3 years that you've been lying on your sofa, dead. :/

So, a question! If (heaven forbid) you just all of a sudden died while alone, how long do you think it would it take for someone to find out?

I guess the people who live with someone or with family would get discovered much more quickly, but as for myself, I'd like to think a week or two, max. I don't really have family that live around here, only two of my RL friends know where I live (scratch that, more know where I live now :p), and my housemates are pretty antisocial. I guess the people that would notice me being missing first would be the people I work with, and people on here being like "Where the eff is SL". :p

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

So, a question! If (heaven forbid) you just all of a sudden died while alone, how long do you think it would it take for someone to find out?

I guess the people who live with someone would get discovered much more quickly, but as for myself, I'd like to think a week or two, max. I don't really have family that live here, only two of my RL friends know where I live, and my housemates are pretty antisocial. I guess the people that would notice first would be the people I work with, and people on here being like "Where the eff is SL".

A couple of hours, seeing as I'm one of those people who lives with someone. I can't immagine being that solitary so that even if I lived alone, no one would notice for 3 years. Would you just never leave your house except for basic things (like food and such) and when you did have to leave just never talk or make eye contact with anyone? (no telephone either perhaps.. and wouldn't the body that decomposed start to smell after a while?)

Edited by Satsuki, 09 September 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#3 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

I thought she would be like in the middle of no where but it was in London. How did she get away with not paying water, electricity or cable, phone etc for 3 years without someone going to her door.

#4 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

I thought she would be like in the middle of no where but it was in London. How did she get away with not paying water, electricity or cable, phone etc for 3 years without someone going to her door.

Supposedly it was all subsidized. Just seems like the perfect storm of circumstances that let them stay undiscovered. :/

#5 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Supposedly it was all subsidized. Just seems like the perfect storm of circumstances that let them stay undiscovered. :/

But still. If there were never lights on of lights were always on. Car was never out of its spot if she had one. Never see anyone walk of of the apartment. I mean maybe 3 months undiscovered but that is it.

#6 sarah.

sarah.
  • 5392 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

This is like my friends next door neighbour (same landing, in a block of flats). :/ She hadn't seen seen him for a few weeks, then one day a worker from his church came to his door looking for him as he hadn't been turning up as usual, and called the police when they couldn't get in touch and he was found dead in his arm chair :(. We had noticed a slightly odd smell a few days before, but because of the lack of cleanliness in the flats, thought nothing of it.

This was only a couple of months ago.

#7 Badger

Badger
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

If she had Christmas presents, surely other people cared about her.
I wonder why they never visited? Sad...

#8 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

If she had Christmas presents, surely other people cared about her.
I wonder why they never visited? Sad...

Probably did not because they would notice after the 5th time something was wrong. I would at least. Also didn't people phone her?

#9 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Does flesh really disappear that fast o___o

#10 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

I would not think so. Possibly the use of skeleton was not correct. But if gets very hot and dry I could see it may be possible.

Edited by Dorkie, 09 September 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

If I died at home? Someone would notice in five minutes or less. If I died away from home, it'd probably take longer though.

#12 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

If I died at home I would be found at least when my husband got home (so a few hours).. I mean my kids would find me before that, but they wouldn't know I was dead.

#13 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

For me about 5-6 hours max.

#14 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Three years, no flesh was left and it was a complete skeleton.

#15 Glow

Glow
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

How sad. ;__;

If I died at home it would take around ten minutes for someone to find me. /shot'd;;

It makes me feel a little melancholy when thinking about how she died while wrapping Christmas presents. Surely they were for someone that she knew. And if she knew them, they knew her. And they didn't even care that she went silent all of the sudden. It's just sad.

#16 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Definitely only a couple of hours for me.

I still wonder how she actually died :(

#17 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

I was wondering too Elle. They must know by know since it was 201 when the article was posted.

#18 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

If I died at home I would be found at least when my husband got home (so a few hours).. I mean my kids would find me before that, but they wouldn't know I was dead.

I found the "kids" part incredibly funny for some reason.

#19 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Yeah, it does in open air. Underwater or underground takes far longer, but she would have been mostly decomposed after the first year since she was in the open, for the most part.

If I died, it wouldn't take long for someone to find out. If it was during the day, someone would find out when they got called to pick up my kid from school for me. If it was at night, then the next morning would be the latest. Over the weekend, Joe would probably realize that I'd gone missing and hopefully send someone to check on me :p

#20 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

I was wondering too Elle. They must know by know since it was 201 when the article was posted.

201? Do you mean 2006?

The body was probably so badly decomposed that they'll never know specifically how she died :(

#21 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

201? Do you mean 2006?

The body was probably so badly decomposed that they'll never know specifically how she died :(

O ya 2006. I thought it was 2011 since the date was 2011. Forgot. It must have not been forced because if it was not they must have found something.

#22 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Oooh this reminds me a job-related story. Gather around children.

Twas the night before October something a couple of years ago. A young man in his thirties had not been by his neighbours for a long time and it was initially thought he moved out. He used to live in a block of flats so above and below another apartment. He wasn't particularly liked or friendly and was morbidly obese, around the 300lb mark.

So, we get a call to a pyscho bloke claiming that he thinks he's going insane, sees blood dripping down the walls. What, is this the shining or something? What a tool, but we have to pop over due to his vulnerable state. We pop over, we going, looking for this mysterious and oogly-boogly blood dripping wall. He shows us.

It.was.dripping.fucking.blood. Like half of his wall had blood gushing slowly down it. I had no idea what was going and it was until my buddy suggest we check upstairs. We go upstairs and knock on the doors and no answers. We opened the letterbox like procedure and immediately get hit by a stench. I tell you what, once you smell, you can't unsmell it. It's indescribable . If hell would emit body odour, this was the smell. We burst through the door because we believe something unholy had happened in here and we were right.

The 300lb owner who had moved out, hadn't. A while back he had tried to get up off his bed but due to his large, large frame, had snapped his ankles/legs/shins. He died on his bed not being able to get to his bed due to blood loss. The blood had then drained to the bottom of his, from all around his body and just pooled up until they exploded. This then went gushing down the sides of his room and downstairs to his neighbours address, which had caused the blood dripping walls.

I got a jam donut on the way home though. No-one passes up 15p donuts.

#23 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Fuck. That's heavy. And not in the bad pun sort of way.
'job related'. What do you do for work again?

#24 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

http://deadandundiscovered.com/

Apparently, this happens a lot. :/

#25 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards