Quantcast

Photo

60 y.o. Woman finds out dead husband was her father.

incest is the best

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Tocsin

Tocsin
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

http://www.abcaction...ried-her-father

Ohio woman, Valerie Spruill, unknowingly married her father

AKRON, Ohio - Veteran Akron Beacon Journal columnist Bob Dyer said his conversations with a Doylestown woman led to the "most bizarre story he has worked on in 28 years."

Valerie Spruill, 60, contacted Dyer with a desire to spill her family secret.

They chatted on the phone several times and Spruill eventually agreed to meet with Dyer in a newspaper conference room. Dyer didn't know exactly what to expect, but it certainly wasn't the jaw-dropping, stranger-than-fiction story she revealed.

"When she first said she found out she had married her father, I about fell out of my chair," Dyer said.

Spruill explained she had no idea her husband, Perry Spruill, was also her dad until he died in 1998 and a relative came to her with the truth, which she confirmed through a DNA test.

Dyer said Spruill also has three kids, meaning their father is also their grandfather.

The Akron Beacon Journal first published the story on Sept. 8, but it has just recently gone viral. Dyer said it was even picked up by a Brazilian publication and British tabloids.

The columnist said Spruill, a retired Goodyear employee, wasn't looking for world-wide attention. Rather, she hoped her story would help others.

"I think her reason for coming forward was that she sees so many kids who are in bad situations, have single-parent households, and the single parent is not much interested in them. They'll be doing their thing. And, I think she wanted to send the message if I can get through this and have a productive life, which she did, then you can get through your situation too," Dyer said.

Dyer's story pointed out the stress of discovering the secret may have contributed to health problems for the Wayne County woman, but she has proven to be a very strong woman.

"She immediately started to get counseling, which she said has been very valuable. I think it helped her understand that she didn't do anything wrong," Dyer said.

http://www.ohio.com/...father-1.332813

Bob Dyer: One twisted family tree - woman finds out late husband was also her father

The next time you think you’re having a bad day, image how Valerie Spruill felt when she discovered that her husband and her father are the same person.
We will pause here briefly to enable you to process the previous sentence. Took me a while, too.
Talk about a psychological blockbuster.

Not that her life had been a breeze four decades earlier when she found out at the age of 9 that the man she thought was her father was actually her grandfather, and that a person who had been identified as a “family friend” was actually her mother.
Spruill didn’t learn until later that her mom also was one of three “night ladies,” as she terms it, who testified in the infamous 1980 corruption trial of Summit County Probate Judge James Barbuto.
Why would anyone volunteer this kind of information?

Because Valerie Spruill wants to be an example. The 60-year-old Doylestown woman wants to show other folks born into miserable situations that they can still lead good, productive, fulfilling lives.
Spruill has. Now retired, she worked for 34 years in the accounting department at Goodyear. She has three kids and eight grandkids.
Although Spruill has fought through serious health problems — she believes they were brought on by the stress of discovering the longtime family secret in 2004, when her husband/father died — she is relentlessly upbeat and optimistic.
For years, she overheard odd whispers she couldn’t figure out. She finally learned the truth from an uncle not long after her husband/father’s death.
When asked to estimate how many people know about this, she laughs and says, “Half of Akron.”

Spruill says she confirmed the relationship with a DNA test. And if anyone doubts it, she says, she still has plenty of his DNA: About five years ago, she found a hairbrush of his that somehow had become lodged under their dresser.
Now, I think it’s safe to say there aren’t a lot of support groups for people who marry their fathers. Fortunately, Spruill has been working with a therapist since she found out. She praises the therapist for helping her realize she did nothing wrong.
“I’ve been getting great help,” she says, “because, God knows, if I hadn’t of went and aired out how I feel, I wouldn’t have made it, because I would have continued to stress out about this problem.”

Still, the pain understandably persists. As she tells her tale to a writer whom she doesn’t know but says she trusts, an occasional drop of moisture slides down her dark brown skin toward a mouth that can’t seem to avoid curling upward in the corners even as she dredges up the most traumatic of memories.

The man in question, Percy Spruill, died in April 1998 at the age of 60. Born in Mississippi, he worked in Akron as a truck driver and, later, as a parking-lot attendant at Morley Health Center.
He and Valerie’s mother hooked up when he was only 15.

We’re not sure how many offspring Percy Spruill helped produce, but at one point, apparently, he figured that one of them would be a suitable spouse.

Although Valerie says she is not 100 percent certain he knew, because he never talked about it, she strongly believes he was aware of the taboo he had committed but was simply afraid to tell her.

She fights the natural inclination to hate him, because people who hate don’t get into heaven, she says. And if you don’t make it into heaven when the time comes, she notes, you can’t hit the rewind button and try again.

“I want this to be more of an inspirational story,” she says. “If I’ve come through this, anyone can come through anything through the help of the Lord.”

Spruill also is motivated to tell her tale in the hope she can locate additional siblings she didn’t know existed.

“My biggest goal is to find them and let ’em know that [their mother] loved them, no matter what. And [to tell them], ‘Thank God she gave you away like she did me, so you could have a beautiful life.’
“It’s not a shame to be given away. Most of the time it’s a blessing.

“And you have to see that blessing that God gave you and accept that hand. Because everybody’s dealt a hand, and it’s not always good and it’s not always bad. But if you live that hand that God gave you, it’s gonna be all right. It’s gonna be all right. Yes, it is.”

When she learned that Christine, the nice-looking woman who visited the house, was her mom, Spruill hated her. Hated the deception. Hated that her mom had tossed her in a taxi at 3 months old and shipped her permanently to Grandma’s house. Hated that she knew nothing about her siblings.

But well before her mother died in 1984, the daughter made amends, thanks in part to the religious beliefs imbued by her grandparents, whom she credits with doing a wonderful job of raising her.

“God changed my life,” Spruill says. “It was God, through me, that let [Mom] see God for herself. ...

“I used to pray and pray and pray that one day God would touch her heart and change her, and He did.

“One Sunday, she came to church and joined.”

Spruill also believes faith helped get her through two strokes and a diabetic coma that kept her in intensive care for 11 days.

“I know there’s a reason why I’m still living,” she says. “And it’s to tell this story.

“It needs to be told, because children need to know where they come from. And I know it hurts, because I have been devastated by this.”

One of the six brothers she is aware of advised her not to go public, saying, “Val, that might bring up a whole lot of skeletons in the closet.”

She replied, “Well, I’m not a skeleton, and I’m hurt.”

The hurt can be trumped by the truth, she believes.

“It’s a miracle how God reveals and heals at the same time, and he gives you that blessing to keep on going. ...

“If this old lady done come through all this, and God’s still got her here and still with a good heart — because you find so many mean, vicious people in the world, and you don’t have to be — you can love no matter what you’ve come through or where you’ve been in this world.”

Edited by Tocsin, 21 September 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#2 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

*shuddershuddershudder*

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

It's probably better she didn't know about it until after he died, Father's Day would have been pretty awkward otherwise.

#4 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

Wow...
That's certainly disturbing...

#5 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

Incest is bestcest.

#6 gummis

gummis
  • 58 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

and after this, she was never allowed to comment on the poor dating choices of her children/half-siblings ever again...

#7 Bazzel

Bazzel
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

The sick thing of all this is... He Knew! and Her children will now suffer forever!

#8 PinkRainbows

PinkRainbows
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

so sick...

#9 Harlow

Harlow
  • 183 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Posted Image

#10 Chicory

Chicory
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

that is so gross.

#11 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

This is so peculiar and gross. :/

Why didn't this "relative" not tell her she was dating her father while they were dating? :S

#12 HappyAccident

HappyAccident
  • 408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Why didn't this "relative" not tell her she was dating her father while they were dating? :S

Exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't make any sense...

#13 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Wtf. Yeah why didn't anyone say something. Just say, hey by the way, your father is in the room. Or something. What kind of dad does this to their daugher. Might as well tell her to make sure shes ok with it.

#14 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

this is very disturbing.

#15 Deathscythe

Deathscythe
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

Wtf. Yeah why didn't anyone say something. Just say, hey by the way, your father is in the room. Or something. What kind of dad does this to their daugher. Might as well tell her to make sure shes ok with it.

I really want to know how long the marriage was and the circumstances of the daughter's upbringing. It seems strange that this could happen without anyone knowing about it or bringing it up. Of course, the father is likely to be the only one who knows what really is going on, unless the woman changed her name.

#16 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:27 AM

There is a remarkable lack of imagination in this thread :p
I can imagine several ways that this could have gone down.

Can anyone explain to me exactly what is wrong with incest? Not institutionalised, the repercussions of that are fairly obvious, but as a one-off event?

#17 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

Can anyone explain to me exactly what is wrong with incest? Not institutionalised, the repercussions of that are fairly obvious, but as a one-off event?

Give me a couple months, that's what I chose for my biology research project this semester ^_^

#18 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

Isn't there a higher chance of any disorders/problems in offspring if the couple would choose to mate? Also, I think it is plain revolting to think about sleeping with someone who made you.

#19 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

Give me a couple months, that's what I chose for my biology research project this semester ^_^

There is the epidemiological study of third cousin marriages in post war Japan. Generally way to many dog breeder use that technique. I am not impressed with the technique when it comes to have genetic vigor in dogs.

Used all the time with poultry to concentrate certain desirable genes. In that case, you just eat the double recessive disadvantageous culls.

#20 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

Isn't there a higher chance of any disorders/problems in offspring if the couple would choose to mate? Also, I think it is plain revolting to think about sleeping with someone who made you.

Over prolonged periods, sure. As a one off, not so much.

And I was hoping for a slightly deeper line of reasoning than "it's icky".

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:32 AM

Don't royal families practice this trait, and haven't they done it for years? Keeping the bloodlines pure and all that malarkey?
That explains why the royals we have all look like horses.

Not usually first-degree relatives though.

#22 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

Over prolonged periods, sure. As a one off, not so much.

And I was hoping for a slightly deeper line of reasoning than "it's icky".

So it should be perfectly acceptable for incest to occur as a one off?

What then happens when the practice becomes more acceptable it society, assumably leading to more people participating in it? Wouldn't this then lead to your long term issues?

Edited by Nalah, 21 September 2012 - 05:39 AM.

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:46 AM

So it should be perfectly acceptable for incest to occur as a one off?

What then happens when the practice becomes more acceptable it society, assumably leading to more people participating in it? Wouldn't this then lead to your long term issues?

Well, you've not suggested any reasons why not...

I don't know if it would become more popular if it became socially acceptable. Possibly. But to the degree that it would significantly affect a significant portion of the global population? Remote at best.

#24 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

Just because society has labelled it as 'gross' or whatever doesn't mean it's not been done throughout human history. Religion argues that Adam and Eve were created and then they bred... who did they breed with? Isn't that incest?

Back in the day marriage between first-cousins or half-brothers and half-sisters was pretty common and there are more examples of incest in the Bible than just Adam and Eve. Still pretty icky if you ask me though. :p

#25 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

Well, you've not suggested any reasons why not...

I think it would be pretty awkward for a kid to be born, and have their father being their grandfather as well.

Also if there is a significant age game between partners, such as between parent and child, this brings about issues when one dies, leaving the other alive for 20ish years+ without a partner.

I suppose other than that, you've almost convinced me that there isn't much wrong, technically, although I would never do it myself.

However both partners should at least be aware of their relationships with each other.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users