Quantcast

Photo

So cell phones "can" cause brain tumours, Will you still use yours?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Article in a well known UK newspaper:

MOBILE phones CAN cause brain tumours, according to a landmark court ruling.

Italian businessman Innocente Marcolini, 60, fell ill after using a handset at work for up to six hours every day for 12 years. Now Italy’s Supreme Court in Rome has blamed his phone. Experts have predicted a flood of legal actions from victims. Stricken Mr Marcolini last night warned: “People must be told the risks.”

He was diagnosed with a brain tumour after complaining of head and chin pains. And yesterday his country’s Supreme Court stated there was a “causal link” between his heavy phone use and the growth.

British scientists have claimed there is insufficient evidence to prove any link to mobiles.

But after the Rome court ruling, Mr Marcolini said: “This is significant for very many people. I wanted this problem to become public because many people still do not know the risks.

“I was on the phone, usually the mobile, for at least five or six hours every day at work. I wanted it recognised that there was a link between my illness and the use of mobile and cordless phones.

“Parents need to know their children are at risk of this illness.” - Respected oncologist and professor of environmental mutagenesis Angelo Gino Levis gave evidence for Mr Marcolini — along with neurosurgeon Dr Giuseppe Grasso.

They said electromagnetic radiation emitted by mobile and cordless phones can damage cells, making tumours more likely. Prof Levis told The Sun: “The court decision is extremely important. It finally officially recognises the link.

“It’ll open not a road but a motorway to legal actions by victims. We’re considering a class action. Tumours due to radiation may not appear for 15 years, so three to five-year studies don’t find them."

“We’ll only realise in years to come the damage phones can cause children.” Mr Marcolini’s tumour was discovered in the trigeminal nerve — close to where the phone touched his head. It is benign but threatened to kill him as it spread to the carotid artery, the major vessel carrying blood to his brain. His face was left paralysed and he takes daily morphine for pain.

Alasdair Philips of Powerwatch, which campaigns for more research on mobile use, said: “This is an interesting case and proves the need for more studies.

“People should limit mobile and cordless use until we know more.”

The World Health Organisation urged limits on mobile use last year, calling them a Class B carcinogen. But a spokesman for Britain’s Health Protection Agency said: “The scientific consensus is that mobile phones do not cause cancer.”

International radiation biology expert Michael Repacholi said: “Studies show no evidence of cancer. But if you are worried, use a headset, hands-free or loudspeaker.”

Media lawyer Mark Stephens said the verdict could “open the floodgates” — even though there is no direct obligation on British courts to follow the Italians’ lead.

He said: “It is possible people will begin legal action here, but I think the chances of success are less. I think they’ll join any class action in Italy.”

Jury out for 12yrs

MAY 2000: Government’s Stewart Report warns kids to avoid mobiles due to unknown effects of microwave radiation.

October 2005: British Journal of Cancer says no substantial risk of brain tumours in first ten years of mobile use.

October 2007: Britain’s Mobile Telecommunications and Health Research Programme finds no link to ill health.

May 2011: Council of Europe warns mobiles should be banned from classrooms over “potentially harmful” effects.

June 2012: World Health Organisation says “some” cancer risk.

Read more here: http://www.thesun.co...icle4597109.ece

So whats your stance? Too convenient? Not enough evidence? Or will you reduce your useage?

#2 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Everyone knows the rulings of court systems are based on solid scientific fact.

#3 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 805 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

You're being sarcastic, right? because I just repped you and I want to make sure

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

They're Italian.

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

Whee! Lies!

Also, xkcd.
Posted Image

#6 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

Personally I'm impartial.

But don't you think there could be any truth behind it at all? (not a question purely focused at Shrouded)

#7 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

I never actually "talk" on my phone. xD So no worries

#8 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

I never actually "talk" on my phone. xD So no worries

Same radiation goes to your hands.

Also yes about sarcasm.

#9 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Better in your hands than your brain, I suppose?

I never actually talk into the phone either. I use the built in microphone in my earphones to talk.

#10 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

*sigh*

#11 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

There's also no known level of alcohol consumption that's safe when you're pregnant.

And I turned out just fine.

#12 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

I want to make a joke about breast cancer since Georgie keeps her phone on her boobs, but my brain is telling me that would be inappropriate.

Personally, I think that the effect on the brain (or the rest of the body, for that matter) from a cell phone couldn't be any more impactful than the other hundreds of sources of electromagnetic and other forms of radiation that we come within close range of or direct contact with (or pass right through us) on a day-to-day basis.

#13 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

There's also no known level of alcohol consumption that's safe when you're pregnant.

And I turned out just fine.

Debatable

#14 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Cell phones already cause brain tumors

god damn kids typing like retards

#15 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

up to six hours every day for 12 years

I think doing anything for six whole hours everyday for 12 years can be bad for you?? Depending on what it is anyways :o

Also don't kids just text nowadays rather than call? And they won't be calling/texting for six hours straight everyday for a decade lmao

#16 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

I think doing anything for six whole hours everyday for 12 years can be bad for you?? Depending on what it is anyways :o

Work, breathing, driving, sex, exercise, reading and constructive hobbies such as crafts and painting are a few things off the top of my head.

#17 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Don't have a cell phone because I personally don't need one. When I do will it stop me from using it no but I have known for a very long time it causes tumors of the brain. People did not believe me who had cell phones but I knew it always did.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

Don't have a cell phone because I personally don't need one. When I do will it stop me from using it no but I have known for a very long time it causes tumors of the brain. People did not believe me who had cell phones but I knew it always did.

But... it doesn't.

#19 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 805 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

Work, breathing, driving, sex, exercise, reading and constructive hobbies such as crafts and painting are a few things off the top of my head.

saying breathing is just stupid.
Driving and sex only apply if you combine them with work.

#20 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

saying breathing is just stupid.
Driving and sex only apply if you combine them with work.

no

#21 nestlepak

nestlepak
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

did nobody notice this line: “We’ll only realise in years to come the damage phones can cause children." ?

#22 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

I think doing anything for six whole hours everyday for 12 years can be bad for you?? Depending on what it is anyways

Yeah.

Is this the list of things you think aren't bad for you if you do them for 6 hours a day for 12 years?

did nobody notice this line: “We’ll only realise in years to come the damage phones can cause children." ?

Just like everything else. I don't see where you're going with that statement.

I text and chat a billion times more than I call and my phone rarely stays on my person unless I'm using it. I'd be inclined to say I'd prefer finger tumors over brain tumors, but I'll try to start using my left hand instead anyway.

Edit: In doing very quick, very insignificant research, I discovered this (probably sponsored) article about the effects of using a laptop while pregnant. My fetus can't stand having anything set on my stomach (even my mouse or a drink) and so this hasn't been much of an issue for me. Just thought it was interesting.

Edit edit: I broke the 'g' on my keyboard, so if I start sounding a little Southern, that's why.

Edited by Napiform, 28 October 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#23 Shirwinator

Shirwinator
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Nowadays we wrap our children in cotton wool and don't let them experience everything they can. Parents are way too protective today. All the shit that my dad has done makes me feel this way.

He was a bit of an idiot back in the day...

#24 nestlepak

nestlepak
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

oh, napiform you're right, the sentence makes sense. i read it as the damage phones create will cause children lol. as for my opinion on this article though, it's just another one of those articles that were written solely to cause fear amongst the public. just like all this hype about gmo's. creating fear out of absolutely nothing for an unclear purpose. perhaps these reporters simply can't find actual news to report on so they use one case of circumstantial evidence to create fear. that guy probably spent huge amount of hours exposing himself to a whole host of cancer-causing things.. or just had a genetic predisposition to brain cancer. funny how they fail to mention all the other people in the world that use cell phones just as often and don't get brain cancer.

#25 tehdownloader

tehdownloader
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Cell phones have really set its place as a key item in our lives, I don't see many people who would stop using one even if they do create brain tumors.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users