Quantcast

Photo

PS3 or Wii

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: PS3 vs. Wii

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

PS3 vs. Wii

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Krolartemiza

Krolartemiza
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

So my apartment is in need of a console, but my boyfriend and I seem to be flip-flopping between PS3 and Wii.

So far, I've broken it down to:

PS3 Pros:
- better gameplay for Video Games (though, honestly, I can barely manage old SEGA games, and he tends to be more of a computer MMORPG person)
- I've heard it's more consistent with internet
- it's black (stupid, I know, but I like stuff matching! :unsure: )
- more potential for the two of us hosting ppl over to play it

Wii Pros:
- the Wii fit intrigues me
- cheaper on craigslist (150$ incl. all sorts of accessories vs. 250$ PS3 with maybe 1 controller)
- mario party is just so awesome...

A side note, one of the main reasons we want it is as a movie base (so Netflix, and ideally Hard Drive capable)

What do you guys think?

#2 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

So my apartment is in need of a console, but my boyfriend and I seem to be flip-flopping between PS3 and Wii.

So far, I've broken it down to:

PS3 Pros:
- better gameplay for Video Games (though, honestly, I can barely manage old SEGA games, and he tends to be more of a computer MMORPG person)
- I've heard it's more consistent with internet
- it's black (stupid, I know, but I like stuff matching! :unsure: )
- more potential for the two of us hosting ppl over to play it

Wii Pros:
- the Wii fit intrigues me
- cheaper on craigslist (150$ incl. all sorts of accessories vs. 250$ PS3 with maybe 1 controller)
- mario party is just so awesome...

A side note, one of the main reasons we want it is as a movie base (so Netflix, and ideally Hard Drive capable)

What do you guys think?

* PS3 has a lot of classics you can download, which my wife loves to play
* PS3 looks sexier imo (yes, black is awesome)
* PS3 offers movie services like Netflix
* If you're a nerd, PS3 offers ridiculously more than any other system could think of offering
* PS3 comes standard with a very nice blu-ray player (a big deal if you're a movie buff)

I started with a PS3, had to leave it at home when I left for bootcamp. Bought a Xbox 360 at my next duty section, had it for a couple of months and sold it to buy a Wii for my wife. Couldn't stand the Wii and now I'm back with a PS3 again and am very glad I have it :)

#3 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

* If you're a nerd, PS3 offers ridiculously more than any other system could think of offering

Wii has all of these :3
Keep in mind you can also mod a Wii.
Some homebrew apps are actually pretty awesome.

Though, if you're really feeling adventurous, go with the Wii U~

#4 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Wii has all of these :3
Keep in mind you can also mod a Wii.
Some homebrew apps are actually pretty awesome.

I didn't say it couldn't :p Home brew options on the PS3 are for the most part better in my opinion due to it's superior processing power.

I think a lot of it depends on your personal preferences. I felt like the Wii was directed more towards kids and the non-serious gaming crowd. If your boyfriend is into MMO's on the computer, I can almost guarantee that the Wii will end up disappointing him. It was fun for like the first two weeks, and then I quickly found myself returning back to my computer for games because the collection Wii offers with it's third world graphics got to me to much :p

Edited by Josh, 16 November 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

* PS3 comes standard with a very nice blu-ray player (a big deal if you're a movie buff)

I started with a PS3, had to leave it at home when I left for bootcamp. Bought a Xbox 360 at my next duty section, had it for a couple of months and sold it to buy a Wii for my wife. Couldn't stand the Wii and now I'm back with a PS3 again and am very glad I have it :)

Really with those points, the only benefits is it has over a Wii is a massive hard drive for media storage and is a blu-ray player.

But what does your 4th point mean? "If you're a nerd"? The Wii pretty much has every service the PS3 has except maybe the multitude of Japanese RPGs which really only weeaboos are into.

I'd think trying to get a Wii U for retail price would be rather difficult depending on availability in her area.

I didn't say it couldn't :p Home brew options on the PS3 are for the most part better in my opinion due to it's superior processing power.

I think a lot of it depends on your personal preferences. I felt like the Wii was directed more towards kids and the non-serious gaming crowd. If your boyfriend is into MMO's on the computer, I can almost guarantee that the Wii will end up disappointing him. It was fun for like the first two weeks, and then I quickly found myself returning back to my computer for games because the collection Wii offers with it's third world graphics got to me to much :p

Homebrew options on the PS3 are also severely limited to specific firmware and if it's updated too far it's never going to be able to be hacked, whereas with a Wii you can softmod it easily up to 4.2 and it's not too difficult to do it on 4.3, although softmodding seems moot to someone who doesn't seem to game too much.

Also, Xenoblade Chronicles is a fantasic MMO-esque RPG exclusively on the Wii, although finding it might prove to be a challenge, where freely softmodding the Wii to run a backup will come in handy.

#6 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

There are sooo many cool games on the wii~
Rail shooters, Zelda, Brawl then you have the crap load of older nintendo games that came out on SNES, N64 etc....

I'll agree that the graphics are subpar but..the games make up for it~

Does the PS3 have Monster Hunter?

#7 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Does the PS3 have Monster Hunter?

That's only an advantage if they're at all fans of the series, otherwise it's a weak argument.

#8 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

That's only an advantage if they're at all fans of the series, otherwise it's a weak argument.

I wasn't posing it as a argument D:
I was legit asking.

Edited by Ivysaur, 16 November 2012 - 10:19 PM.

#9 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

I wasn't posing it as a argument D:
I was legit asking.

Okay then.

No, it does not, although the PSP has a few of them.

#10 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

But what does your 4th point mean? "If you're a nerd"? The Wii pretty much has every service the PS3 has except maybe the multitude of Japanese RPGs which really only weeaboos are into.

I was doing some pretty cool stuff when I dual-booted my PS3 with the regular system menu and Linux. With some tweaks was able to access some of the system internals which provided for a whole lot of tweaking/fun :p

Anyways, I'm sure a lot of people find the Wii games fun or else it wouldn't have sold. I'm just saying I would consider myself an avid MMORPG player for the PC, and the Wii's sub-par graphics dissatisfied my spoiled tastes a lot :p

Edited by Josh, 16 November 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#11 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

I was doing some pretty cool stuff when I dual-booted my PS3 with the regular system menu and Linux. With some tweaks was able to access some of the system internals which provided for a whole lot of tweaking/fun :p

Anyways, I'm sure a lot of people find the Wii games fun or else it wouldn't have sold. I'm just saying I would consider myself an avid MMORPG player for the PC, and the Wii's sub-par graphics dissatisfied my spoiled tastes a lot :p

Point 1: Linux only being available on consoles that didn't update to the point where it was removed, which are consoles that are several years old and ridiculous to try and come by.

Point 2: That's fine, but I think she's looking for entertainment and gameplay over superior graphics.

#12 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

I felt like the Wii was directed more towards kids and the non-serious gaming crowd.

Xenoblade, Red Steel 2, Metroids, MadWorld, Skyward Sword, Phantom Brave, Muramasa and No More Heroes would like to have a word with you :p I would have said Okami but there's a HD port of it on the PS3 now... I'd go into detail about how it shouldn't be in HD but that would be off-topic lmao

Please don't think that the Wii has nothing but third party casual and badly made games! Sure there's a lot but it isn't everything and no one is forcing you to buy them. There are a lot of genuinely good, fun games (fun gameplay, fun soundtrack, fun everything~ Kirby's Epic Yarn I'm looking at you :3 ) on the Wii too, you just have to deal with it not having SUPER HIGH DEF 1000800P x_HARDXCORE_x REALISTIC 599 US DOLLARS 420 ZILLION POLYGONS PER SECOND graphics. But most of the time those games use unique and fun graphics instead of realism (Ivy the Kiwi), and if you're enjoying the game then you're not gonna be bothered about those anyways! Also yeah, softmodding Wiis is a loooot easier from what I've heard and if you accidentally brick it, it won't cost you a small fortune to buy a new one heheheh

Maybe try both out before buying? Like go to a friend's house who has one, play around with it for a bit, and see which one you prefer? There's also the option of saving up and buying both
Posted Image

P.S. There are black Wiis!

Edited by Turnip, 17 November 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#13 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Funny enough, black Wiis are the only ones you can purchase on retail these days as well.

#14 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

Point 2: That's fine, but I think she's looking for entertainment and gameplay over superior graphics.

I was making a case for her boyfriend, not her :p

#15 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

I was making a case for her boyfriend, not her :p

What if her boyfriend prefers gameplay over graphics? I mean it's one of the points in the opening post~ And sure super amazing graphics can be good but what would you rather play, a game with amazing graphics and decent gameplay, or one with decent graphics and amazing gameplay? I personally would take the latter without thinking about it ┐('~`; )┌

Edited by Turnip, 17 November 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#16 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

What if her boyfriend prefers gameplay over graphics? I mean it's one of the points in the opening post~ And sure super amazing graphics can be good but what would you rather play, a game with amazing graphics and decent gameplay, or one with decent graphics and amazing gameplay? I personally would take the latter without thinking about it ┐('~`; )┌

I think games like Dishonored, Assassins Creed 3, and Borderlands 2 all speak to amazing game play with amazing graphics :p I have no idea what her boyfriend likes, I'm just saying we both seem to savvy PC MMORPGs and that maybe he's like me and not having good graphics actually matters to him.

By the way, my wife absolutely loves playing Borderlands 2 with me. My friend bought a PS3 JUST to play Borderlands 2 xD

Edited by Josh, 17 November 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#17 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think WoW as my most enjoyed MMO and the graphics are aged to all hell, one shouldn't consider another to be a graphics whore just because he plays PC games, many games may look good but if they're stale with gameplay, I'd rather go play the 16 bit Indie titles that offer a richer experience.

All on my PC, of course.

#18 MizaHades

MizaHades
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

I think WoW as my most enjoyed MMO and the graphics are aged to all hell

What if her boyfriend prefers gameplay over graphics?

Considering he's a WoW addict and keeps going back to the oldies like KOTOR, I'd definitely say gameplay over graphics (within reason of course). Especially with a nice, long and developed storyline. I always assumed PS3 would be more suited to this, but perhaps I'm just pre-judging the Wii? Honestly, the only games I've really seen on Wii is MarioParty, Bowling and the odd sports game.

Funny enough, black Wiis are the only ones you can purchase on retail these days as well.

P.S. There are black Wiis!

What is this dark magic you speak of?! I've never heard of such a thing... Perhaps Canada is more behind than I thought... >.<

I was making a case for her boyfriend, not her

As a girl who has gone through the entire Baldur's Gate series, Planescape:Torment, DA:O, DAII and most of the Mass Effects before I even met my boyfriend... I resent your comment :p

But in all seriousness, my concerns are:
- more selection of good, developed games
- less likely to fall apart on me
- and i'm a bit of a virtual tinkerer, so OS tweak-ability might sway me. I know PS3 is decently good with that, but I always thought Wii was sort of like the Mac of consoles (a.k.a the programmers don't believe you can turn a power button on properly, so they make it annoyingly restrictive)

and super deal-breaker...: can Wii support Netflix (or some other reasonable alternative?)

Originally, I was only considering the Wii because it was cheaper, but judging from comments around here, perhaps I don't actually know anything about the Wii system.

#19 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

Honestly, the only games I've really seen on Wii is MarioParty, Bowling and the odd sports game.

That's because those are the only ones people who are paid to do "game" reviews for non-gaming magazines talk about :p
Check out this huge recommended games list! They have a PS3 section as well :3 (look at all those Wii exclusives!)

Hehehe, nope! You've been able to softmod them for a really long time now, it used to be with a Twilight Princess disc and doing... some sort of thing, but there are other ways now I think! You'll have to look into it ^^ And yeah it can do Netflix~ http://www.nintendos...lix-on-your-wii

It's not very limited edition now though lmao
Posted Image

(P.S. I believe a good amount of PS3 games are available on PC, so a nice gaming rig + Wii is a pretty good setup! But you'd be a bit fucked if you want play Heavy Rain/LittleBigPlanet/Riiiiidge Racer/Atelier/those PSN games like Journey/fLOW/Flower, as I dooon't think there's an emulator for that stuff just yet)

Edited by Turnip, 18 November 2012 - 02:11 AM.

#20 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Considering he's a WoW addict and keeps going back to the oldies like KOTOR, I'd definitely say gameplay over graphics (within reason of course). Especially with a nice, long and developed storyline. I always assumed PS3 would be more suited to this, but perhaps I'm just pre-judging the Wii? Honestly, the only games I've really seen on Wii is MarioParty, Bowling and the odd sports game.

Like Turnip linked, there are definitely more than a couple casual sports games, the Wii can offer several experiences that are at least on par if not better than PS3 releases. I'm really pushing games like Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story, both incredible games considering they're on a weaker system.

What is this dark magic you speak of?! I've never heard of such a thing... Perhaps Canada is more behind than I thought... >.<

I live in Canada and see them all the time. :p

- and i'm a bit of a virtual tinkerer, so OS tweak-ability might sway me. I know PS3 is decently good with that, but I always thought Wii was sort of like the Mac of consoles (a.k.a the programmers don't believe you can turn a power button on properly, so they make it annoyingly restrictive)

and super deal-breaker...: can Wii support Netflix (or some other reasonable alternative?)

Games are moreso in the eye of the beholder, there's games in different genres and with different art styles, look at the list Turnip provided and make your decisions based on those.

I've had my Wii since launch and my PS3 a couple years afterwards, neither have ever had any problems, just don't throw it around and treat it like dirt.

Aaaaand you can softmod your Wii easier (As I've mentioned earlier in the thread) than a PS3, and with Linux removed from the PS3, it has even less functionality unless you buy a PS3 on a very old firmware that allows it to be modded.

#21 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

As a girl who has gone through the entire Baldur's Gate series, Planescape:Torment, DA:O, DAII and most of the Mass Effects before I even met my boyfriend... I resent your comment :p

Originally, I was only considering the Wii because it was cheaper, but judging from comments around here, perhaps I don't actually know anything about the Wii system.

So, incredibly developed gameplay with the added bonus of fantastic high quality HD visuals? I've already stated Assassins Creed (all of them), Borderlands (both of them), and Dishonored. There's the entire Dead Space series, Resident Evil series, Mass Effect series, Far Cry series (new one is supposed to be heavenly), Gran Turismo series, Elder Scrolls, Tekken's, the list literally goes on and on, more so than I feel the Wii offers (please note the I in that statement before anyone hulks out on me). Hell, Dark Souls in itself is worth the $250 price tag to me. It is literally the most epic, difficult piece of eye candy I have ever played. It came out quite awhile ago and continues to top game charts today.

And downgrading a newer PS3 console is fairly easy. Yes, they removed stuff in the newer firmwares, but as with 99% of all the other soft-modding out there it's all about downgrading to the right version. And again, if you're a movie buff, save yourself a hundred dollars or so and buy the PS3 for it's blu-ray player :)

#22 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

So, incredibly developed gameplay with the added bonus of fantastic high quality HD visuals? I've already stated Assassins Creed (all of them), Borderlands (both of them), and Dishonored. There's the entire Dead Space series, Resident Evil series, Mass Effect series, Far Cry series (new one is supposed to be heavenly), Gran Turismo series, Elder Scrolls, Tekken's, the list literally goes on and on, more so than I feel the Wii offers (please note the I in that statement before anyone hulks out on me). Hell, Dark Souls in itself is worth the $250 price tag to me. It is literally the most epic, difficult piece of eye candy I have ever played. It came out quite awhile ago and continues to top game charts today.

And downgrading a newer PS3 console is fairly easy. Yes, they removed stuff in the newer firmwares, but as with 99% of all the other soft-modding out there it's all about downgrading to the right version. And again, if you're a movie buff, save yourself a hundred dollars or so and buy the PS3 for it's blu-ray player :)

Speaking on the basis that they have a decent gaming PC (Or even an Xbox 360 as well):

Games listed that are also on PC and/or Xbox 360

Assassins Creed
Borderlands
Dishonored
Dead Space
Resident Evil 5 (Later 6)
Mass Effect
Far Cry
Elder Scrolls
Dark Souls
And many other multiplat games

Leaving the Gran Turismo and Tekken series as the two real "exclusives" to the system.

I can only agree on the blu-ray player, but only if they don't have a PC with a blu-ray drive and the HDMI cable to plug their PC in their TV. (Or y'know, getting a $50-$100 blu-ray player instead of buying the entire system)

#23 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

The PS3 has an incredibly fun MMO-esque game called Demon Souls. The Morrowind series is also playable on the PS3, and if your boyfriend is in to MMOs, he'll love them if he's never played them before. I played it for months at a time and never got tired of it. I have both a PS3 and a Wii, and I will agree with Josh that the Wii got boring after about two weeks. Sometimes you just want to sit down and play a game to relax, being up and moving constantly can be a little bit annoying.

With that said, I know that there are controllers for the Wii that don't require you to move, but that sort of takes away from what the Wii was originally created for. As for the capability of being able to mod the Wii, I don't think they were looking to go that far into it. They just want to game and to be able to watch movies.

My vote goes to the PS3, simply because I've had mine for years now, and didn't have a problem with it until about two months ago, but even then it was a super quick fix and was only "broken" for two days. The Wii has a lot of thin wires that are very easy to break, and it's quite expensive replacing them. That's just my opinion though.

#24 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Speaking on the basis that they have a decent gaming PC (Or even an Xbox 360 as well):

Games listed that are also on PC and/or Xbox 360

Leaving the Gran Turismo and Tekken series as the two real "exclusives" to the system.

I can only agree on the blu-ray player, but only if they don't have a PC with a blu-ray drive and the HDMI cable to plug their PC in their TV. (Or y'know, getting a $50-$100 blu-ray player instead of buying the entire system)

I'm strictly comparing the Wii to the Playstation 3. I'm very aware most of those games are on the PC and 360.

The PS3 has an incredibly fun MMO-esque game called Demon Souls. The Morrowind series is also playable on the PS3, and if your boyfriend is in to MMOs, he'll love them if he's never played them before. I played it for months at a time and never got tired of it. I have both a PS3 and a Wii, and I will agree with Josh that the Wii got boring after about two weeks. Sometimes you just want to sit down and play a game to relax, being up and moving constantly can be a little bit annoying.

It really is an amazing game :p

#25 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have both a PS3 and a Wii, and I will agree with Josh that the Wii got boring after about two weeks. Sometimes you just want to sit down and play a game to relax, being up and moving constantly can be a little bit annoying..

There are plenty of Wii games that don't require motion controllers. The only games that I would recommend that do require motion controls are the Legend of Zelda games, and they don't even require you to stand up, just being able to swing your arms.

I'm strictly comparing the Wii to the Playstation 3. I'm very aware most of those games are on the PC and 360.

Realistically many people have a PC + Console combo, usually with at least one of the three consoles, if not all of them. I feel that just giving a list of multiplats that are available on at least 2 or 3 of the available platforms isn't as strong than trying to acknowledge the exclusives.

Games across categories like Ratchet and Clank, Yakuza 3 + 4, Uncharted, Disgaea, Hyperdemension Neptunia, Killzone, Katamari, the aforementioned Demon's Souls (Not Dark Souls), 3D Dot Game Heroes, these are all games that are exclusive as well as enjoyable, depending on what kinds of games one like, and are the advantages of picking a PS3 over a Wii.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users