Photo

Magic: The Gathering

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CoROmni

CoROmni
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

Any fellow MTG fans out there? If so, what do you like playing? Standard, Modern, Legacy, Casual, EDH, etc? What are your favorite color combinations/style of play?
As for me, I love playing that one janky combo deck in Standard or playing mostly EDH. Drafting is another favorite way of playing Magic. I'm also very fond of brewing decks and play testing. Oh and most importantly, I am a Timmy/Johnny and I equally love playing all five (six) colors with some favoritism towards green, blue, and brown.

Edited by CoRMythe, 10 January 2013 - 05:35 AM.

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

It's like a whole different language.

#3 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

It's like a whole different language.

You'll pick it up quickly, my love.

I play casually. My favorite are blue counter or control decks, but everyone hates playing against those :p I also love blue/white or white/green. I tend to make really fast red decks but I am not really all that fond of red. I love playing black. Drafting is fun, that's where I got most of my cards actually. I've never played in a tournament, though.

One of my favorite things to do is just build decks and calculate the mana curves. I also love looking through other people's decks and giving advice on how they could make them better/faster.

And now I have Daft Punk in my head.

#4 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I used to play about 15 years ago while I was a small boy in school. I recently sold all of my cards to a local comic book store. I suspect that I got cheated out of quite a bit of value though.

#5 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I used to play when I was a virgin.

aka when I was younger.

I always liked playing red-rush decks. Or counter blue. Not a big fan of any other type :p

#6 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I don't play, but I watch my friends play. Blue mill decks r t3h srz bu51n355

#7 chillnsax

chillnsax
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

I play off and on, the only deck I still keep is my Modern deck Broken Allies (Blue/Green/White Allies) so fun milling people to death. I also like Drafting!

#8 CoROmni

CoROmni
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Haha, glad to see there are some MTG players here. Would be pretty swell if we could get a game going between some of the players. I remember doing that at another forum and it was pretty dang fun.

#9 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

Haha, glad to see there are some MTG players here. Would be pretty swell if we could get a game going between some of the players. I remember doing that at another forum and it was pretty dang fun.

Interesting, can you explain how that would work?

#10 CoROmni

CoROmni
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Well there are one or two programs that are essentially MTG Simulators with a card database. Also, several friends and I played on MTGO for quite a while until they decided to stop spending money on MTG (Now all I do is draft on MTGO).

As for the simulators there is Cockatrice and Magic Workstation.

As for the super friendly players, some just decided to Skype the MTG battles.

#11 Malibooya

Malibooya
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

I play magic infrequently but in the most recent set (RTR) I like to play golgari with a splash of red if I can draft it. However, I also really like the detain mechanic so azorius comes in at a close second. I like drafting more than that actual playing of the game so I usually just use a draft simulator to satisfy that magic itch haha.

That being said if the community is organizing some kind of group play session count me in :D

#12 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

My sister's boyfriend is a pretty big Magic: The Gathering Fan, I've been old he has 15000 cards or something. I myself have never played though

#13 CoROmni

CoROmni
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

That being said if the community is organizing some kind of group play session count me in :D

Haha. Yeah that would be a blast. Some good fun to be had there. Also, is anyone excited for the new GTC release?

#14 CoROmni

CoROmni
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

This may seem like a double post or a shameless bump to my own thread, but I do have a legitimate question to all the MTG fans of Neocodex.

Gatecrash has been released and now that everyone (hopefully) has had a chance to play with GTC, what are everyone's opinions about it?

I went to three pre-release events and two launch party events and now that I have played the limited format for GTC, I can see that the cards that seemed underwhelming at first, were in-fact deceptively powerful. After seeing the power of certain cards in limited, I immediately tried to put extort in to a Junk Attrition deck and the power just seems phenomenal.

So yeah, opinions?

Also, if anyone has Cockatrice and would like to play test GTC with me, feel free to pm me :)

Edited by CoROmni, 04 February 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#15 kloun

kloun
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

I remember this game! It was huge in high school. Everyone played it and the popular kids were the kids with the best cards. It did kind of confuse me though. My brother was really good at it, he won tons of tournaments and stuff for it.

#16 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

I play magic frequently.

I've been playing standard since eventide, have some commander decks, and recently I've been a lot into modern (and moved away from standard).

I like to play every kind of decks, be it pure blue control, land destruction, burn, aggro, combo, etc.

My favorite deck is Kiki-pod, so much stuff you can do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users