Quantcast

Photo

Why are the majority of programs written in python?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Why can't you just use javascript - greasemonkey?

Any javascript experts here?

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

You can use javascript and greasemonkey to create Neopets programs, there's no real way to protect the source though.

#3 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Python allows you to do basically anything you want using various libraries.  Browser based scripts are not as capable :(  I don't want to leave firefox open while botting ... unless it's a small easy script- for which I normally use selenium- but to each his own.

#4 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

You can use javascript and greasemonkey to create Neopets programs, there's no real way to protect the source though.

Nor can you in Python. 

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

Nor can you in Python. 

Obviously not entirely but it's still slightly better than greasemonkey.

#6 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

I use a few convenience scripts on my main since this is the account that my browser is logged into all the time. It would be annoying to have a different browser open to do stuff on other accounts.

#7 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

I did the steps in the python tutorial but i find that i'm nowhere near prepped enough to code anything for real. any tips on some other tutorials or problems i can try to improve my knowledge?

#8 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

I did the steps in the python tutorial but i find that i'm nowhere near prepped enough to code anything for real. any tips on some other tutorials or problems i can try to improve my knowledge?

I found I learned the most in projects where I was self-motivated to improve.

I'm lucky since I use python at my job, but I learned a lot on my own at home.

One of my first personal projects was creating a multiplayer online card game that I'd invented.  Then moved on to neopets botting- another passion of mine ;)

I'd highly suggest taking a passion of yours and somehow making it into a program.  And realize it won't come overnight- baby steps is the best way to improve (setting achievable goals).  Also investing in a book on good programming (regardless of the language) is a GREAT investment.  I've saved myself countless hours of frustration by reading "Clean code".

#9 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

I found I learned the most in projects where I was self-motivated to improve.

I'm lucky since I use python at my job, but I learned a lot on my own at home.

One of my first personal projects was creating a multiplayer online card game that I'd invented.  Then moved on to neopets botting- another passion of mine ;)

I'd highly suggest taking a passion of yours and somehow making it into a program.  And realize it won't come overnight- baby steps is the best way to improve (setting achievable goals).  Also investing in a book on good programming (regardless of the language) is a GREAT investment.  I've saved myself countless hours of frustration by reading "Clean code".

I'll check it out thanks. I'm actually trying to write a script that will play blackjack for me on another of my favorite sites. I calculated the odds and it seems that in the long run the player has a 0.1% advantage lol

#10 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

I'll check it out thanks. I'm actually trying to write a script that will play blackjack for me on another of my favorite sites. I calculated the odds and it seems that in the long run the player has a 0.1% advantage lol

That's a generous blackjack table :p

#11 soundrecorder

soundrecorder
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Python is simple to use, easily extensible, and it makes sense for compatibility purposes. It's what I would use at least.

#12 data

data
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

Python is easy to program in, powerful, has extensive libraries and is cross platform.

#13 hindubomber

hindubomber
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Python is easy because it's a very lazy language. It tends to be taught to first years in University because it's so easy to pick up.

#14 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

We were taught C and data structures using C as our introduction into programming. I've never been motivated to learn Python, even though I probably should :/ I always figured the first language shouldn't be a "lazy" one, since it would already have libraries, so you would have everything handed to you without learning how those functions were made to work.

#15 Jiayu

Jiayu
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

We were taught C and data structures using C as our introduction into programming. I've never been motivated to learn Python, even though I probably should :/ I always figured the first language shouldn't be a "lazy" one, since it would already have libraries, so you would have everything handed to you without learning how those functions were made to work.

My school is similar, they start everyone with Java to get used to a strongly typed language as it will be easier to go from that to a lazier language than the other way around. They are actually starting to switch the intro courses to Python though as students feel like they can get more accomplished with minimal programming experience due to all of the libraries. In my opinion which direction to take really depends on how functionally literate a programmer you want to be.

#16 Hinth

Hinth
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

My school is similar, they start everyone with Java to get used to a strongly typed language as it will be easier to go from that to a lazier language than the other way around. They are actually starting to switch the intro courses to Python though as students feel like they can get more accomplished with minimal programming experience due to all of the libraries. In my opinion which direction to take really depends on how functionally literate a programmer you want to be.

Yeah same here, we picked up java as a little intro course but we're diving into python now since its supposedly one of the easier languages :D

#17 Inida

Inida
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

I feel like a dunce for using autoit :p

#18 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

I feel like a dunce for using autoit :p

There's nothing wrong with using a scripting language like that for some things. :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users