Quantcast

Photo

Facebook - What's your opinion of it?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Necessary evil for keeping in touch with the family I haven't seen in two years. 

#27 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

I have a couple of major complaints about Facebook.  The main one is that it makes people lazy.  Instead of actively keeping up with their friends or updating them on their lives, they just post a status update and expect that everyone reads it.  I can't even begin to count the number of times someone has been surprised that I didn't know about something going on with them, then asked me if I'm not reading their Facebook.  They always do it in this disbelieving way, like if they post something in a status then of course I should have read it.

A) I have hundreds of friends, I'm not about to check everyone's individual pages every day, and your post simply got lost in all the bullshit

B) I don't even get on Facebook very often anyway

The second thing that I hate about FB is that stupid people with ridiculous, closed-minded opinions tend to post the most in-your-face ignorant bullshit all the time.   

#28 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

I have one, but my interest in it has seriously dwindled. I mainly go on there and check on my friend's/family who live in other states. I've deactivated my account before, but didn't last long. It's usually my dose of gossip and comic relief of peoples' status updates. Definitely dont take it serious. And I never understood the morons that post status updates about work and have where they work on their FB. Instant recipe for disaster.

#29 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Blah
Blah
Blah

Effex = Maha
Everything makes sense now.

edit: stupid autocorrect

Edited by Yung, 11 June 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#30 iblvuhvemystplr

iblvuhvemystplr
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

I only keep my facebook active just in case someone I knew in a past life wants to contact me. I check my facebook probably once a month.

#31 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Today I realized I also like the 'instantaneous' part of it. I can send a pm to someone on here and they'll get it when they get on. OR I could message someone on facebook and they can respond quickly, even when they're out if they have a smart phone and app and stuff.

#32 LegitRSer

LegitRSer
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Facebook is only good for games :D

#33 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Facebook is only good for games :D

THIS...and even considering, there are only two games I play there (and NEITHER has Farm or Ville or anything Angry Bird-like in the name).  :lol2:

#34 LegitRSer

LegitRSer
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

THIS...and even considering, there are only two games I play there (and NEITHER has Farm or Ville or anything Angry Bird-like in the name).  :lol2:

Backyard Monsters :3

#35 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

MouseHunt and Fish Wrangler.  :cool:

#36 idontknow951

idontknow951
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Today I realized I also like the 'instantaneous' part of it. I can send a pm to someone on here and they'll get it when they get on. OR I could message someone on facebook and they can respond quickly, even when they're out if they have a smart phone and app and stuff.

But arguably, your phone provides the exact same, if not better, service.

#37 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

But arguably, your phone provides the exact same, if not better, service.

Not internationally though for as cheap though.

#38 Smashley

Smashley
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

Facebook is ok. It has a lot of flaws, but it helps me keep in touch with some people I otherwise would not be able to.

#39 jonvj

jonvj
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

Like it or not, Facebook is the most visited site in the world. People go on there to network, to act as twitter, to keep in touch with family. It's pretty benign, especially if you use adblock. I don't see the harm in using it, and I don't feel the need to go on it daily.

#40 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

I far prefer LinkedIn for networking. Overall I'm just not a fan of FB (I don't have it on my phone, either, yet wherever I travel I constantly see folks sucked into their phones typing away on FB), and I'm not much of a fan of Twitter either.

#41 Teru

Teru
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

I far prefer LinkedIn for networking. Overall I'm just not a fan of FB (I don't have it on my phone, either, yet wherever I travel I constantly see folks sucked into their phones typing away on FB), and I'm not much of a fan of Twitter either.

Yeah it bugs the crap out of me seeing my friends on facebook 24/7 and missing out on life lol

#42 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

Yeah it bugs the crap out of me seeing my friends on facebook 24/7 and missing out on life lol

EXACTLY! It also feels incredibly stifling when some people message constantly and get all butthurt if you're not there instantaneously to message back and forth non-stop...seriously I do NOT like to feel as though I have to be tethered to Facebook like an astronaut must be tethered to a starship.

#43 Hinth

Hinth
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

It's helpful in allowing me to keep in touch with friends that aren't close friends yet you like them enough that you'd like to be able to remember them.

Edited by Hinth, 28 June 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#44 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

So I'm one of the few people it seems who loves FB. I am constantly updating my friend's list i.e. deleting all those people who most people complain about. I only have like 250 friends and all 250 friends if I saw on the street, I would say "hi" to and would be able to have a conversation with them (aside from the few obligatory ones like co-workers who suck but I can't delete, but even then I hide them from my news feed).

It's a giant waste of time, however. I plan to deactivate it somewhat soon closer to my writing date for the MCAT, but until then I shall keep browsing photos, liking statuses and ignoring the old videos that are shared from George Takei's page.

#45 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

So I'm one of the few people it seems who loves FB. I am constantly updating my friend's list i.e. deleting all those people who most people complain about. I only have like 250 friends and all 250 friends if I saw on the street, I would say "hi" to and would be able to have a conversation with them (aside from the few obligatory ones like co-workers who suck but I can't delete, but even then I hide them from my news feed).

It's a giant waste of time, however. I plan to deactivate it somewhat soon closer to my writing date for the MCAT, but until then I shall keep browsing photos, liking statuses and ignoring the old videos that are shared from George Takei's page.

Don't ever get off Facebook. Your stories give me life. :(

#46 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:57 AM

It's really a double-edged sword. If you are able to use it more constructively in linking with your friends and relatives, post important memories, then it is of good use. But if you got bogged down by daily updates and capturing almost every moment of your life, then probably not so heathly and your privacy will become a concern if leaked.

#47 clickittt

clickittt
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Had one about a year ago, but I got sick of all the attention-whoring statuses and general bullshit that went on so I deleted it. Do I really need to see a picture of your dinner? Do I really need to know you're at the cheesecake factory right now? Do I really need to see 200 selfies you took the same day in the bathroom mirror? If my friends or family want to stay in touch, they have my number.

#48 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

I do admit, it's definitely like many other tools out there for us humans to utilise, but its been overrelied upon and in a certain sense, we're too involved in social media without caring about face-to-face interaction. Like....I think it can be moderated and controlled but it takes up a ton of willpower to ensure that you don't fall into the cycle. I'm currently trying to break free of it :(

#49 Hydrange

Hydrange
  • 504 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I like facebook but I am careful with who I add and what I share. I got a colleague that posts everything he does and thinks on facebook. *Photo of a beer* "Drinking a beer, cheers!". "Come on Manchester, fk off Chelshit!", "I'm in the pub, drunk, got a boner and I think the girl noticed, my dick is starving!" I find it kinda annoying so I changed his settings so his stuff doesnt appear in my wall. Also I hate when people share those "If you want to burn Justin Bieber, share, if you want to drown him, like". What I use it the most is to post pictures of my cakes and share interesting news and occasionally pics of kitten doing cute things.

#50 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

I didn't have a Facebook from January until April or May, and it was awesome. I moved in January, and I had like 700 friends I never talked to, and I used to just waste so much time on there, so I deactivated it. Eventually a couple months after making new friends here I ended up making a new one so I could keep in touch with people I actually talk to, and I don't post nearly as much as I used to. I don't make statuses anymore, just put up pictures or comment if someone posts on mine. 

The statuses that people would make all day letting me know exactly what they were doing was annoying as fuck. "Going to the gym" "Ugh why can't I eat gluten" "Just saw the cutest baby!" I don't give a fuck about any of those things. I go to the gym too, but I don't feel like I need to let you guys know every time I do. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users