Facebook - What's your opinion of it?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#51 Psyduck

Psyduck
  • 431 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Facebook more or less is just for people who just want to stay connected to old friends IMO

#52 Shizuku

Shizuku
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

It's a good platform to stay connected to old friends/classmates/colleagues. Not so much of one with people you see everyday. Unless you happen to like seeing people making a fool of themselves online by posting pictures of them making stupid faces.
I mainly use Facebook for Mousehunt only now... With that game-only account separated from my RL account which I rarely use.

#53 Geometry

Geometry
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

I think it's important to stay connected with people you've from different places..and without Facebook that just wouldn't be possible so I have to give it credit for that. I'm just over statuses in general..I wish they could implement some rule where statuses are limited or only major events could be shared. Heh.

#54 cashmereoxford

cashmereoxford
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

FB has its merits, its a great way to monitor your friends and have a sense of what everyones doing- particularly good with people you are out of touch with (always fun to see an elementary school friend and find out theyre married etc). Its also a great online storage for memories when you think about it. Yet in some ways it gets silly, with people updating or bragging the nuances of their lives- as I get older I have less and less a need for fb.

#55 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

I think it's important to stay connected with people you've from different places..and without Facebook that just wouldn't be possible so I have to give it credit for that. I'm just over statuses in general..I wish they could implement some rule where statuses are limited or only major events could be shared. Heh.

I just keep mine set so that I am not "subscribed to follow" anyone, thus my news feed is clear...if I want to check and see what someone is up to, I will visit their wall...if not, no mess with a barrage of notifications about what someone just ate, what their mood is, etc.

Edited by Cordelia, 15 July 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#56 Asakura

Asakura
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Im bringing up a bit of an old topic. But, I had Facebook for the longest time and ending up deleting my account because of ex-girlfriends and drama. Then after a while I caved in a got it again. I regretted it a few weeks later though and deleted my account again. I just don't care enough about whats going on in other peoples lives to keep it, not to mention I dont want people to be able to look me up. It just seemed like I was checking it two dozen times a day, yet not doing anything on it.

When I reactivated it the second time, my logic was "hey, it will help me get laid" ... and it did! but it still wasnt worth keeping

#57 thaythay

thaythay
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

I have one but I don't like it. I feel too exposed. :p

#58 flea

flea
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

deleted my fb, twitter, instagram, reddit almost last month. good times. the reddit (7yr old account) and instagram are the hardest cuz once they gone they gone.

#59 Sasha

Sasha
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:04 AM

I find it funny how people share too much about themselves on social platforms and then feel too exposed  :S

I use Facebook to occasionally stalk interesting people who share too much.

#60 Flowerless

Flowerless
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

I'm guilty of being a daily Facebook user.

I use it to keep in touch with friends overseas (I travel quite a bit, so I end up with acquaintances spread out everywhere), family, and updates concerning my job. I don't think I could go a day without it.

In addition, Facebook makes for an entertaining source of entertainment, given the fact that the people I have on my list are friends of friends of friends of friends etc...

Stuff that appears on FB makes for an interesting topic around the dinner table or at hangouts, or at the bar.

Kind of like the newspaper, but for more personal, intimate news.

#61 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

Necessary evil for keeping in touch with the family I haven't seen in two years. 

NOT a necessary evil...set up a password-protected communication forum on a privately-hosted domain. It's easy and cheap...and miles better than FB.

#62 Amie

Amie
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

I barely use it. However, it's nice for remembering birthdays. Plus, there's no need to call annoying relatives when you can just send them a one-liner on FB. :p

#63 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

I've never had a facebook and I never will. I called that privacy shit years ago. I however do have a linkedin account for networking. It's very useful and most of my colleagues use it over facebook. 

#64 swuggology

swuggology
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

Facebook is now just my creep book lol moved to twitter

#65 SunnyLax

SunnyLax
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Facebook is good & bad, but probably more bad than good. I use it everyday I am not going to lie, but I do remember the good ol days before facebook was born, everyone was on MSN messenger... haha

#66 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

It, like anything else is a tool. You use it because it facilitates easier communication with people faraway. Of course the danger is that of the time sink and getting caught up in the apps. As long as you have good privacy settings, I'm sure people will use it for years to come. 

The other thing is the shady privacy of facebook. You can never be sure what data they are selling. I don't have anything to hide so I'm fine with it, but that's always a concern. 

#67 Amie

Amie
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

The other thing is the shady privacy of facebook. You can never be sure what data they are selling. I don't have anything to hide so I'm fine with it, but that's always a concern. 

:o Could you expand on this?

#68 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Three months later, Facebook is still de-activated and haven't signed on once since. Here is what I noticed:

a) I am no longer bombarded with details of everyone's lives, and it's very refreshing. The mental energy is being spent on the people that I care about.

b) Friends noticed I disappeared off Facebook. Some didn't though. I still keep in touch with them like nothing's changed. I still get invitations to things. I still send invitations. No problems. :p

c) The time I spent on Facebook is now spent reading reddit. -_- It's slightly more intellectual at times though, so I don't feel TOO bad.

d) The occasional person thinks it's weird that I am not "on Facebook" anymore. I think they're weird for putting so much importance on a social networking site.

If you are considering removing yourself from Facebook and are sheepish about the consequences, just do it.

I barely use it. However, it's nice for remembering birthdays. Plus, there's no need to call annoying relatives when you can just send them a one-liner on FB. :p

Someone on my friends list a while back changed their birthday to something fake to see who would actually realize. The herd, of course, wished them a happy birthday on the wrong day but their close friends were like "uh, wtf, this is not their birthday".

If you are worried about remembering birthdays, phone address book works too. :p

#69 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

I've never had a facebook and I never will. I called that privacy shit years ago. I however do have a linkedin account for networking. It's very useful and most of my colleagues use it over facebook. 

I really like LinkedIn quite a bit as well, and it has proven invaluable to me over the years.

#70 Amie

Amie
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

Someone on my friends list a while back changed their birthday to something fake to see who would actually realize. The herd, of course, wished them a happy birthday on the wrong day but their close friends were like "uh, wtf, this is not their birthday".

This sounds like fun! :D
I'd be part of the herd though, in all honesty. (:

#71 Erich

Erich
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

don't have one. i did for a long time and was as addicted as anyone else, but eventually just got fed up with the drama bs. deactivated it and never looked back!

#72 Amie

Amie
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

don't have one. i did for a long time and was as addicted as anyone else, but eventually just got fed up with the drama bs. deactivated it and never looked back!

Facebook has.... drama? If I'd know, I'd have been more active on there!

#73 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

Facebook has.... drama? If I'd know, I'd have been more active on there!

"Drama".

Spoiler

#74 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

I'm a girl who plays mario kart lol. Such a nerd XOXO

#75 Maelstrom

Maelstrom
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Eh, I use it to keep in touch with friends I don't see very often, and to see the schedules of the student groups I'm involved in. I mostly just lurk (like I tend to do on a lot of sites), and occasionally post something once every few weeks. My opinion is that it's a good, quick way to check-up on friends. I haven't run into drama myself, and with the type of people that are friends with me on there, I don't plan to run into any ^_^

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users