• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

The cliff notes version: The US has reached the point where they have borrowed more money than they have and HAVE to cut money/rebudget/etc. When they can't agree on where the money will come from or what to cut back on, then the government shuts down until it's figured out.  Republicans don't like Obamacare and want funds taken away from that and put toward other things. I have no idea where the Democrats want the money to come from to fund things besides Obamacare and how they plan to fund it all.

The last time this happened was Winter 95-96 (I think)

What about your government run water fountains? And Penis monuments?

Washington DC is the only city in the United States that shut down trash and sewage, etc when the government shuts down. The city recently passed a bill saying trash and sewage would be taken care of during government shutdowns. The White House is shut down for tours, in addition to national monuments and national parks. 

The 'essential' things are still being paid for, specifically things that keep people and property safe (like weather), the Congress/Senate/President's salaries, and the Obamacare website where you pre-register for insurance. 

Closed

Spoiler

Open

Spoiler

Discuss

(PS the worst part? The pandacam at the National Zoo is also shut down.)

Edited by Napiform, 02 October 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

I believe the dems want higher taxes on the elite rich (which repubs won't agree to) and a defense budget cut.

NASA is down as well. I actually like NASA.

#3 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Food stamps will stay open for people who already have them, but it'll take longer to get them if you don't. Medicaid is still open. Subsidized housing is currently running on emergency funds, but that is expected to run out shortly, same for WIC. Airplane travel is expected to take forever, because some of those TSA guys got cut.

#4 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

WiyldWL.jpg

#5 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

This is such bullshit.

#6 anewvision

anewvision
  • 1195 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

This is such bullshit.

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

It's interesting how a fringe group of the party which lost the last election (by quite a decent margin) can shut down an entire country by holding the Government to ransom over an act which has already been passed by the Senate... How weak does that make the Republican speaker look right now?

#8 anewvision

anewvision
  • 1195 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

John Stewart kills it, as usual

http://www.hulu.com/watch/539756

#9 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

It's interesting how a fringe group of the party which lost the last election (by quite a decent margin) can shut down an entire country by holding the Government to ransom over an act which has already been passed by the Senate... How weak does that make the Republican speaker look right now?

That act was also confirmed by the Supreme court to be constitutional.

Apparently the Repubs blame the Dems saying "They wont come to the table to talk. This is their fault", in realty they wont come to the table because there's no reason to when the Repubs keep trying to pass bills defunding ObamaCare which the senate will reject. To keep putting those things though only wastes more time and money.

I don't get why the Tea Party can't just break off and make it's own stupid party, like the unknown green party did. (yes the green party exists).

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Noting that the 2010 Affordable Care Act has been upheld by the Supreme Court, they say it is settled law that voters endorsed last year by re-electing Obama over GOP candidate Mitt Romney, who campaigned on repealing it.

...so if Mitt had won last year, then voters would be endorsing a lack of easily obtained birth control? I feel like it's silly to pull one thing out of a zillion things and say that people endorse it. 

Especially since people are idiots.

#11 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

...so if Mitt had won last year, then voters would be endorsing a lack of easily obtained birth control? I feel like it's silly to pull one thing out of a zillion things and say that people endorse it. 

Especially since people are idiots.

Technically voters did endorse it because their elected representatives voted to pass it into law. That's democracy in action. :p

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

Technically voters did endorse it because their elected representatives voted to pass it into law. That's democracy in action. :p

I guess voting against someone is the same as voting for someone else.

#13 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

I don't get why the Tea Party can't just break off and make it's own stupid party, like the unknown green party did. (yes the green party exists).

Because then they wouldn't be elected to office.

#14 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Because then they wouldn't be elected to office.

As opposed to what? They already have a harder time than most unless they're elected in extreme right wing dominant areas as it is.

#15 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

This reminds me of the recall election awhile back here in Colorado. Some idiots tried to pass a gun control law without voters' approval, we manage to recall two out of the four we wanted out. It didn't help that those two spent hundreds of thousands on the media including trying to deceive the residents saying that the petitions going around are fake and trying to steal our identities and etc. Hopefully, other people get the idea and tell the idiots running the government when enough is enough.

If it matters, the two that got kicked out were Democrats and got replaced by Republicans... 

#16 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Way to steal my idea

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, cause you were just running to make a thread.

#18 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, cause you were just running to make a thread.

Well, walking. I hate running.

#19 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think he's even topping good 'ole Newt.

#20 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Oh the problems of deficit spending. How did that smart texas kid start with the most surplus any president had and end up with the most debt by the end of his term? I have to congratulate whoever voted for Bush. As for Obamacare, maybe a national vote will determine whether or not it should stay.

#21 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Way to steal my idea

Napiform
Posted Today, 01:55 PM

Boggart
Posted Today, 05:28 PM

Well, walking. I hate running.

That's like a slug crawl. lol

#22 TamerVirus

TamerVirus
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

In short the government sucks. qpJa6.gif

#23 anewvision

anewvision
  • 1195 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

In short the government sucks. qpJa6.gif

HEY! I'M THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED TO POST THANKS OBAMA GIFS!!!!!.... Okay T____T .... I'll share lol

#24 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

So if I drove to the States, where is it okay for me to loot?

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

futurama's house

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, anarchy, pandacam

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users