Photo

Neomail Censors are RIDICULOUS

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 irradiata

irradiata
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

I just tried to send a message, and got that error message to not send dirty words or passwords to other users.

The problem: as always when I get this message, I hadn't.

It's like a word find, trying to analyse your message finding what the censors didn't like. This time, it was accumulate. How stupid!

It's so stupid because the young'ns that can't actually find the rude words because they don't know them yet will have to look them up to find out which words to not use in order to send their message. 

They used to ban using the word sucks. So any board message saying 'that sucks' would get the no swearing message. How stupid is that! That's just gonna make kids google it out of curiosity.

Urgh.

#2 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

I totally agree with you. That's why in-game, I make almost no neomails, never post on the neoboards, and even joined a guild where only elite people stay just to feel good. No one actually posts in the guild boards. The filters are out of control and even indiscriminate sometimes. I just don't bother with that bullshit anymore. Now, I just spend my free time chatting on Codex than Neo.

#3 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

Apparently it blocks the word "grapes" because the word "rape" is in it. Accumulate has the word "cum" in the middle, which is probably why it's blocked. 

Maplestory filters are the same way, they block "whisper me" because the last 5 letters of it spell out "Sperm".  (even though the whisper function is used quite a bit in the game).

What small child is smart enough to figure any of that out? They could at least tell you what the problem is. 

Edited by Satsuki, 23 October 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#4 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

CZwNFPz.gif

#5 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

My Neomail is strictly business.

"Yes I'll accept 800k for that."
"No, I won't accept 105k and 8 junk treasure map pieces."
"Nty"
"Nty"
"*sigh* NTY"

Guess the sigh isn't strictly business. :p

#6 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Don't chat on nm/boards. Quickest way to iceland (for some at least)

#7 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Don't chat on nm/boards. Quickest way to iceland (for some at least)

O_o

...if you're saying stuff like, "Hey man, Abrosia is the greatest way for making the Neocodex Item Database the best way to price your stuf man."

Nothing wrong with talking in general. Just be smart about what you post and where. I post in the Trading/Auctions and Charter boards frequently.

#8 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

You would think that it is not that difficult to calibrate your censors to have a "whitelist" of words that are actually innocuous even though they might contain a bad word (like "accummulate" etc).

#9 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

TNT filters are dumb. i'm in a non-english-speaking guild but i always get those warnings because they thought my words are inappropriate.

Edited by Stuck, 24 October 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#10 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

And also, I was about to create a pet called "Skill" during last purge but no, it had to say there was an inappropriate word (kill). I don't know what happened to their filters, but it worked fine back when I started in 2008

#11 GothicxToy

GothicxToy
  • 442 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

Whenever I've had that problem, my issue is that they don't freaking tell you what word is wrong, so you're left guessing "what the hell is the bad word here?"

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Whenever I've had that problem, my issue is that they don't freaking tell you what word is wrong, so you're left guessing "what the hell is the bad word here?"

They probably don't tell you cause they don't want to be accused of teaching curse words to the children.

#13 GothicxToy

GothicxToy
  • 442 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Even though a lot of the time, it isn't even a curse word they're censoring :/

#14 Boochi

Boochi
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Wow I couldn't agree more! I never wouldn't have imagine "whisper me" would be censored because I didn't even know it has the word sperm at the end. That's so stupid.

I can't believe they censor the word, "poopiest". This whole censoring is getting out of control. Even the dumbest and the most innocent words are being censored.

We should make a board that includes all the words that are being censored.

#15 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

Few months back I was trying to buy a Kad food with the word 'cracker' in it. I couldn't send a neomail to the person selling and ended up with a warning for 'trying to go around the filter' or some shit. I since then have taken a break from neo.

#16 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

This is the worst because I always end up spending ages trying to cut stuff from my neomail when I have no idea what is wrong with it.

Seriously, if Club Penguin can tell you that your banned because you said something along the lines of "shit, I'm a penguin", then I see no reason why Neopets can't do the same thing. Besides, if a user is using one of those words, they probably know what it means anyway, unless its something completely stupid, like "accumulate". 

And I'm pretty sure they do have a white-list, as they manage to avoid filtering "MSN" (make some noise) every AC, so...

#17 lalaniana

lalaniana
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

They don't let you say snowballs either.

#18 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

I like the title of this beard

http://www.neopets.c...topic=155020457

#19 ccobb09

ccobb09
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

I was both amused and disturbed when during a conversation the word "wisecracks" set the filter off. Really? Crack? Because I am totally promoting ass and drugs.

#20 Xenin

Xenin
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

Sometimes I wished they would just tell what words are the ones they think to be inappropriate instead of letting us search through the whole mail only to find out that the word "uncle" is aussumed to be inappropriate. And yes, I'm not joking there, it's actually forbidden to use the word uncle.

#21 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

...I tried posting the name of three different items I was selling to a potential buyer asking for quotes on pricing yesterday and the filters kept blocking me. >.>

#22 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

...I tried posting the name of three different items I was selling to a potential buyer asking for quotes on pricing yesterday and the filters kept blocking me. >.>

I'm pretty sure they block the name of an Apple Orchard Foreground when its put on petpages as well :/ And that's a NC item, I think :/ 

#23 neoprince

neoprince
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:44 AM

I got so irritated once trying to figure out what the word was. Turns out it was"nutcracker". Like seriously tnt. that word is like on your Database of items. *facepalm*

#24 panther1

panther1
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

my main was permanently silenced for mentioning Google.    So yes, I agree.

#25 March

March
  • 289 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:03 AM

Surprisingly, "boner" was allowed through one of my neomails when it had a few letters in front of it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users