Photo

Quick Question Regarding IPs and Devices :k

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 panther1

panther1
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

Apologies that I was unable to find this information that is undoubtedly posted somewhere in here, but my question is this:

Do computers have their own signature that TNT sees besides the IP address you're using?  Like... say I used Tom Hanks' computer a year ago to access my main, and now Tom Hanks moved across the country and has a new IP address.   If I use that device to create/access a shell, is it visible to Neo that I've used that same device in the past to access my main?   The IP would be different than when I accessed the main, but the device would be same.

I might be answering my own question but this must not be the case, right?   Cuz everyone uses tons of proxies on their single device and TNT is none the wiser?

Thanks for a courteous reply I hope o.o'    

#2 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

The IP address is assigned by the ISP and is not specific to a particular computer/device.  In the case of households that may be using 5 computers on the one internet connection, it appears to websites that they all have the same IP as it belongs to the modem connection and not to the individual devifce.  Even moving across the country and plugging in the same modem wont necessarily give you the same IP (in some rare case you may be assigned the same IP if you move your service with your provider but in most cases they will just issue a new one).

Individual device identification would come in the form of looking at MAC addresses which are unique to the network card (some computers will have 2 because they have a wireless AND Ethernet connection) but no websites actually check the MAC address of a computer unless the site is made to be extremely secure (company internal sites visited from an outside connection while away from an office(

TL;DR

No, you will be fine and the IP will appear differenly

#3 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:11 AM

Your user agent can be unique or almost unique. It's a string that contains information about your browser version and system. This is used for features such as detect mobile browsers to show mobile versions. There are browser apps that can change your user agent, so you can hide behind common ones.

You can look up yours e.g. here http://www.whatsmyuseragent.com/

However, I don't know if TNT processes this information to freeze people.

@Doomsday A MAC address is easily spoofed but yes, they are supposed to be unique. It is not part of the IP protocol though! MAC is used as an identifier in LANs i.e. Ethernet.

Edited by Eefi, 01 May 2014 - 12:11 AM.

#4 panther1

panther1
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the informed answers.  Board closed Id say

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users