• Please log in to reply
1621 replies to this topic

#501 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

I wish I could take two years off paid to do nothing...

I don't think anyone gets two years......

I know pretty much all mine are travel related but it's a big deal in London. Today, people in tube stations who walk along still reading their kindles. It's about 10 degrees hotter than the surface, there are hundreds of people all around, please don't make me spend a second longer down there than I have to by the fact that you're holding a screen in front of your nose and dawdling.

#502 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

I don't think anyone gets two years......

I think it's a year for leave and about 10 months for maternity pay. And in terms of pay it's actually not good, I think my sister got close to full pay for the first 6 weeks or something and then the rest of the time you get like £140 a week...effectively you're forced back to work after a couple of months.

#503 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

I think it's a year for leave and about 10 months for maternity pay. And in terms of pay it's actually not good, I think my sister got close to full pay for the first 6 weeks or something and then the rest of the time you get like £140 a week...effectively you're forced back to work after a couple of months.

You can take 52 weeks leave. Statutory pay is 90% of your wages for 6 weeks, then ~£140/week or 90% of your wages (whichever is lower) for 33 weeks, then your company can offer more than that if they want. Usually the final 1/4 year is unpaid though...

#504 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

You can take 52 weeks leave. Statutory pay is 90% of your wages for 6 weeks, then ~£140/week or 90% of your wages (whichever is lower) for 33 weeks, then your company can offer more than that if they want. Usually the final 1/4 year is unpaid though...

Man, I got 6 weeks unpaid leave and then I had to go back or lose my job.

#505 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Man, I got 6 weeks unpaid leave and then I had to go back or lose my job.

Yeah, employee benefits in the US suck compared to here...your annual leave is ridiculously low as well right?

#506 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Yeah, employee benefits in the US suck compared to here...your annual leave is ridiculously low as well right?

I got a week a year.

#507 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

I accrue 40 hours a year, which can roll-over and does not expire

#508 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

I think I got something like 27 days of holidays + bank holidays this year.

#509 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

I got a week a year.

.....Yeah.....it sucks.

We get a statutory minimum of 20, plus public holidays (so NY, Xmas, Boxing Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day, Summer Bank Holiday).

I get 26 days plus bank holidays, plus we shut down between Xmas and NY anyway.

#510 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

Good ole America, the No-Vacation Nation.

What type of industries do you other Americans work in? I get 12-13 holidays annually and 14 vacation days to use at my leisure. I also get 12 sick days a year.

Edited by talbs, 23 July 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#511 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Good ole America, the No-Vacation Nation. 
What type of industries do you other Americans work in? I get 12-13 holidays annually and 14 vacation days to use at my leisure. I also get 12 sick days a year.

I work at a retail pharmacy. We are open every day of the year, but get time and half on certain holidays. Paid time off is earned through a complicated accrual system where factors such as your position and length of service with the company dictate how fast you gain paid hours.(As of today, I have 61 pto hours available, 41 FROZEN pto hours, and 259 FROZEN sick leave.) I can't use anything that is frozen unless I use the 61 first. I can't use the sick pay unless I use up all my pto, and even then, I'd have to get sick.

Basically, I have 12 days of vacation I can use and the rest is just a number.

I am basically in an assistant manager position and I've been with the company for 10 years. So everyone who is less than that, gets less than I do. Which is equivalent to JACK SHIT.

#512 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

I work in an office, small growing company.

I got paid vacation after 90 days with the accrual rate of 40 hours a year. No sick pay, but most major holidays paid.

#513 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Bare in mind what job I work for, I've known a girl who was actively trying to get pregnant and found out she was two weeks up the duff. Straight away placed in a nice cushy office so we have to pick up the pace, she was gone for about 6 months and then got all the additional leave, on top of our 28/29 days annual leave + banks holidays.

#514 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Bare in mind what job I work for, I've known a girl who was actively trying to get pregnant and found out she was two weeks up the duff. Straight away placed in a nice cushy office so we have to pick up the pace, she was gone for about 6 months and then got all the additional leave, on top of our 28/29 days annual leave + banks holidays.

So what you're saying is we all need to go and work with you, let you get us pregnant, and life will be da bomb?

Pregnant women at my work keep working pretty much until the due date... even when taking it easy, you're on your feet for more than 7 hours, and having to be nice to people the whole time. On several occasions, they worked their last day before maternity leave, and had the baby the next day, I'm not even kidding.

#515 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Interesting stories. My current job as well as my previous one both operated the same way regarding the vacation, sick, etc. Both jobs were government jobs, the first one was through local government whereas the current one is through the state. I guess I don't feel as bad for making sub par pay then. Everyone always said the only upside to public service was the benefits, although I don't foresee myself staying put for very long.

#516 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

So what you're saying is we all need to go and work with you, let you get us pregnant, and life will be da bomb?

I can't have kids so it'd be a waste of time. For you :p

#517 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

One of my professors was 4-5 months pregnant when I started my spring semester in January. Her plan was to have the baby during the summer and then come back to teach in the fall. Not a bad plan, really. 

#518 Futurama

Futurama
  • 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

I work at a retail pharmacy. We are open every day of the year, but get time and half on certain holidays. Paid time off is earned through a complicated accrual system where factors such as your position and length of service with the company dictate how fast you gain paid hours.(As of today, I have 61 pto hours available, 41 FROZEN pto hours, and 259 FROZEN sick leave.) I can't use anything that is frozen unless I use the 61 first. I can't use the sick pay unless I use up all my pto, and even then, I'd have to get sick.

Basically, I have 12 days of vacation I can use and the rest is just a number.

I am basically in an assistant manager position and I've been with the company for 10 years. So everyone who is less than that, gets less than I do. Which is equivalent to JACK SHIT.

Da fuck, did you ever use sick time? My boss used to just use it for us near the end of the year if we wanted to use it so we got paid more :p

#519 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Pregnant women at my work keep working pretty much until the due date... even when taking it easy, you're on your feet for more than 7 hours, and having to be nice to people the whole time. On several occasions, they worked their last day before maternity leave, and had the baby the next day, I'm not even kidding.

When I was pregnant with Jill, I went to work for about 6 hours washing dishes, then walked around the mall for an hour and my water broke at 3 pm. She was born at 5 am the next morning and the nurse couldn't comprehend why I'd be a little bitchy.

#520 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

My computer. My computer grinds the fuck out of my gears.

#521 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

THIS FUCKING HEAT! FUCK YOU SUMMER AND YOUR 100 DEGREES! I'M MOVING TO ANTARCTICA!!

#YESCAPS

#522 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

THIS FUCKING HEAT! FUCK YOU SUMMER AND YOUR 100 DEGREES! I'M MOVING TO ANTARCTICA!!

#YESCAPS

I agree with everything except the Antarctica part. You're on your own with that one.

#523 Docshroomed

Docshroomed
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

People who ask to borrow something like say a study sheet....and 5 minutes later you have to ask them "are you done using it"

"oh yeah, thanks man"

rustles my jimmies

#524 evoheyax

evoheyax
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

What really grind my gears is when someone cuts you off, and then gives you the finger like I've done something wrong.

What really grinds my gears is when someone coughs, but doesn't cover their mouth but instead, turns right in your direction.

#525 MoxieTime

MoxieTime
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

What really grind my gears is when someone calls me and then are talking to someone else and make me wait...  :sorry: 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users