What do you want for Christmas?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth.

But seriously, gift cards please. Preferably Visa, MasterCard, or Amazon.

#102 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:39 PM

@Emily

I already own the required sockets.  My car is simple in that it's all disk brakes. (Rear are drum-in-hat, but that's fancy shit that only pertains to the parking brake.  Ignore it.)  The breaker bar is required to loosen lug nuts. (Torque wrench required to tighten them after repairs). Pads go inside the caliper, and the rotor is what spins with the wheel.  Here is an image of the caliper/pad/rotor assembly.  Brake pads contact the rotor when you push down on the brake pedal, and the friction generates heat and slows the vehicle.  This wears both the pads and rotors.  Replacing the pads and rotors is a fairly standard brake job (Some will resurface the rotors, which requires setting it up in a lathe aligning to the mounting face [I'd think, I'm not an automotive tech] and associated bore and minimum machining the rotor faces so the area the pad contacts is smooth).

The stabalizer bar linkages can also be called sway bar linkages.  It is part of the suspension that keeps the body closer to level when cornering hard or level when going over bumps.  My front right one was bad, and caused an audible clunk in the passenger compartment going over small bumps.  It was a bitch to get at with my equipment.  I just realized I need 22, 23, and 24mm wrenches, as well as imperial wrenches about the same size.

I kind of understood some of that. Thanks :p What kind of car do you have? How often do you have to replace the pads and the rotors?

#103 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:48 PM

I kind of understood some of that. Thanks :p What kind of car do you have? How often do you have to replace the pads and the rotors?

I drive a 2008 Kia Optima LX.  Not my first choice, but my parents bought it for my sister and I, and sold it to me at a stupidly cheap rate.

Depends on the brakes and the application.  If I was racing, and braked accordingly, I'd be changing brakes and fluids a hell of a lot more often than I do now.  Reality is most drivers will have them last 25-50k miles.  Nice part about brakes is most have a wear indicator, so you'll know (due to grinding, or a whining sound) that the brakes need to be changed.

#104 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

I drive a 2008 Kia Optima LX.  Not my first choice, but my parents bought it for my sister and I, and sold it to me at a stupidly cheap rate.

Depends on the brakes and the application.  If I was racing, and braked accordingly, I'd be changing brakes and fluids a hell of a lot more often than I do now.  Reality is most drivers will have them last 25-50k miles.  Nice part about brakes is most have a wear indicator, so you'll know (due to grinding, or a whining sound) that the brakes need to be changed.

Hmmm. Now I'm very concerned about the whining noises I hear in other people's cars when I'm in them. 

To also be on topic:

- I want some new makeup for Christmas, but I suck at picking makeup out for myself. Too many choices. So expensive. 

#105 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

Hmmm. Now I'm very concerned about the whining noises I hear in other people's cars when I'm in them. 

To also be on topic:

- I want some new makeup for Christmas, but I suck at picking makeup out for myself. Too many choices. So expensive. 

I should have specified, the whining or grinding will be when braking.  Whining on other occasions can be a myriad of issues.

Back to topic:

• A fat bonus check from my work.

#106 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

I should have specified, the whining or grinding will be when braking.  Whining on other occasions can be a myriad of issues.

Back to topic:

• A fat bonus check from my work.

I hear it in a few friend's cars when they're turning or backing out of a parking space. One of them drives like a maniac, but I don't feel like telling him that. 

More:

-Good grades on my finals. 

#107 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

•  

I hear it in a few friend's cars when they're turning or backing out of a parking space. One of them drives like a maniac, but I don't feel like telling him that. 

More:

-Good grades on my finals. 

Depends on how the steering wheel is turned.  Could be power steering related, or a brake issue.  They'll still be good for a bit, but it's a sign that it's time to replace brakes.

More:

• I'd say for my girlfriend to say yes, but I haven't decided when I'm asking.... lol.  Don't have much else I want at this point in time.

#108 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

•  

Depends on how the steering wheel is turned.  Could be power steering related, or a brake issue.  They'll still be good for a bit, but it's a sign that it's time to replace brakes.

More:

• I'd say for my girlfriend to say yes, but I haven't decided when I'm asking.... lol.  Don't have much else I want at this point in time.

Aw, I want her to say yes for you too! Good luck! 

#109 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:05 PM

Aw, I want her to say yes for you too! Good luck! 

I've got time.  Don't worry about wishing me luck yet.   :p

I've decided on sometime within about the next 6 months......  Fuck I need to go shopping.

#110 Liesa

Liesa
  • Foxy Lady

• 2196 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

I'm hoping for a few copic markers but that shit is expensive ;.; But chocolate, foxes or a good book would make me a super happy girl too :D

#111 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

I've got time.  Don't worry about wishing me luck yet.   :p

I've decided on sometime within about the next 6 months......  Fuck I need to go shopping.

Stalk her pinterest. HAHA

#112 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:03 PM

Stalk her pinterest. HAHA

You are a fucking genius.

#113 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:23 PM

You are a fucking genius.

:) Truuust or just non chalantly take her into a jewellery store while you're in a mall to get a good idea too :) and just mention what you like or watch her reaction. Way better than going in blind! :) May the force be with you ;)

#114 deverllus

deverllus
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:32 PM

Mmmm a better account here to use better programs maybe  :lol2:  :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users