93 replies to this topic

#1 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

I had to take this quiz for my class: http://www.celebritytypes.com/test.php

I got: INFJ (which apparently makes up less than 1% of the population?)

Sensitive, empathic, and insightful, you care deeply about people, wanting to accommodate them on the one hand, and having strong visions that you desperately want to turn into reality on the other. Often preoccupied with mulling over your personal thoughts in your own head, others are likely to describe you as tolerant, courteous, and appreciative, but also a bit remote and dreamy. Thoughtful and caring, you have a well-developed facility for putting yourself in another person's place and an instinctive understanding of how people work. Though you tend to spend considerable time fantasizing about how society could be improved, you typically refrain from arguing passionately in favor of your solutions. Instead, you prefer to influence others by gently letting them know how their individual contributions would be invaluable in the greater scheme of things.

I'm concerned about who I share this personality type with. Apparently Adolf Hitler, Osama bin Laden, and Mohamed Atta share the same personality type as me. I also share it with some cool people too but come on. 

You can read more about the types and take another test here. (credit to @Iarn for showing this one in TC the other day :p )

Tell me what you got! 

#2 Michaelhex

Michaelhex
  • 1018 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

A long test that was but here's my result :)

Your personality type is:
ISFJ

Dependable, considerate, and loyal to those closest to you, you have a firm grasp of the factual realities that lie before you as well as an eye for detail, each of which make you naturally gravitate towards others and their emotional needs. Nurturing and attentive, you tend to be quick to assume responsibility and to help out as soon as you see some task that could aid others. Though your surroundings rarely notice it, you tend to carry a lot of responsibility. All too often it is only when you are missing that others notice the immense effort that you usually put in to make sure everything around you is running properly and that everyone is looked after and feels at ease. Conscientious, thorough, and perhaps a bit perfectionistic, you are not one to impulsively chase after new and uncertain prospects before having finished the endeavor at hand. You tend to find a deep sense of satisfaction in working hard to achieve your goals and in selflessly supporting others, demonstrating that you care through your actions and preferring to lead by your quiet, dignified example.

#3 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:58 PM

ISFJ

People Like Me: George Marshall, Rosa Parks

I have taken these tests before. The last time i took it i was ENFJ i think. The IS and EN were close this time too. 

@Michaelhex - Samies. :)

#4 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

ENFP

Versatile, dynamic, and quirky, you are tireless in your pursuit of the untested, the untried, and the fight against the status quo. You love to interact with all kinds of people and you carry yourself in an expressive and warm manner that ideally sees lots of affirmation flowing both ways. Charismatic and imaginative, you tend to have a well-honed ability to see the world through the eyes of those who do not normally have an advocate to speak for them. You are interested in the potential of others and you often long to help them develop their own aspirations more fully. Ever-inquisitive and appreciative, you have a love of fantasy and adventure and are easily bored by the business-as-usual routines of the corporate and business world. Your own enthusiasm and energy for finding a new and better way arises spontaneously and can often be quite contagious. However, you tend to have little love for resolving the factual specifics of a case, preferring to work by pure inspiration and bursts of energy instead.

Why are all of you introverted? O_o

#5 Michaelhex

Michaelhex
  • 1018 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:22 AM

@Prisca haha *high five* :D The explanation fits me perfectly actually. I think it understands me better than my girl :p

#6 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:50 AM

@Prisca haha *high five* :D The explanation fits me perfectly actually. I think it understands me better than my girl :p

its pretty close to me as well :)

@Ivysaur I was nearly an E, and last time i took the test i was. lol. 

#7 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:02 AM

I think I have two personalities. When the answers are logic/feelings I could answer both. I'll try to do this again later to see if I make my mind.

#8 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:04 AM

Last time I took it, it was a 1% variance between ENFJ and ENFP. So, I claim both.

#9 Cerasai

Cerasai
  • 18 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:26 AM

I had lots of fun with this test.

INTJ

People Like Me: Karl Marx, Friedrich Nietsche, Jean-Paul Sartre, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and if you go into Ficiton, Moriaty, Dr.House and Gandalf the Grey.

Im still laughing about it. Thanks for the Test :)

#10 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:21 AM

ENFJ

Inspiring, warm, and empathic, you are oriented towards people and towards people's opportunities for growth and self-development. You easily pick up on the convictions, values, and worldviews of others and you strive to unite the people around you in service of a higher ideal. Expressive, sensitive, and charming, you often find yourself in situations where you are able to influence others to the core of their very being. You tend to be strongly in touch with the values and ideals of others, and it is by that connection that you guide people towards acquiring harmony and meaning in their lives. You are at your best when you can act the diplomat, counselor, and teacher to others, and you can sometimes lose enthusiasm in situations where there is no opportunity to bond or interact with others.

People like me:
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nelson Mandela

#11 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:04 AM

ISFJ

Dependable, considerate, and loyal to those closest to you, you have a firm grasp of the factual realities that lie before you as well as an eye for detail, each of which make you naturally gravitate towards others and their emotional needs. Nurturing and attentive, you tend to be quick to assume responsibility and to help out as soon as you see some task that could aid others. Though your surroundings rarely notice it, you tend to carry a lot of responsibility. All too often it is only when you are missing that others notice the immense effort that you usually put in to make sure everything around you is running properly and that everyone is looked after and feels at ease. Conscientious, thorough, and perhaps a bit perfectionistic, you are not one to impulsively chase after new and uncertain prospects before having finished the endeavor at hand. You tend to find a deep sense of satisfaction in working hard to achieve your goals and in selflessly supporting others, demonstrating that you care through your actions and preferring to lead by your quiet, dignified example.

#12 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:48 AM

INTJ

#13 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:59 AM

I think I remeber being ISTP.

#14 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

The statistical validity of the MBTI as a psychometric instrument has been the subject of criticism. It has been estimated that between a third and a half of the published material on the MBTI has been produced for conferences of the Center for the Application of Psychological Type (which provides training in the MBTI) or as papers in the Journal of Psychological Type (which is edited by Myers–Briggs advocates).[37] It has been argued that this reflects a lack of critical scrutiny.[37][38] Many of the studies that endorse MBTI are methodologically weak.[38][39] A 1996 review by Gardner and Martinko concluded: "It is clear that efforts to detect simplistic linkages between type preferences and managerial effectiveness have been disappointing. Indeed, given the mixed quality of research and the inconsistent findings, no definitive conclusion regarding these relationships can be drawn."[38][39]

For example, some researchers expected that scores would show a bimodal distribution with peaks near the ends of the scales, but found that scores on the individual subscales were actually distributed in a centrally peaked manner similar to a normal distribution. A cut-off exists at the center of the subscale such that a score on one side is classified as one type, and a score on the other side as the opposite type. This fails to support the concept of type: the norm is for people to lie near the middle of the subscale.[33][38][40][41][42] "Although we do not conclude that the absence of bimodality necessarily proves that the MBTI developers’ theory-based assumption of categorical “types” of personality is invalid, the absence of empirical bimodality in IRT-based MBTI scores does indeed remove a potentially powerful line of evidence that was previously available to “type” advocates to cite in defense of their position." [42]

In 1991, the National Academy of Sciences committee reviewed data from MBTI research studies and concluded that only the I-E scale has high correlations with comparable scales of other instruments and low correlations with instruments designed to assess different concepts, showing strong validity. In contrast, the S-N and T-F scales show relatively weak validity. The 1991 review committee concluded at the time there was "not sufficient, well-designed research to justify the use of the MBTI in career counseling programs".[43] This study based its measurement of validity on "criterion-related validity (i.e., does the MBTI predict specific outcomes related to interpersonal relations or career success/job performance?)."[43] Studies have found that there is insufficient evidence to make claims about utility, particularly of the four letter type given after the test.[38]

The accuracy of the MBTI depends on honest self-reporting by the person tested.[8]:52–53 Unlike some personality measures, such as the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory or the Personality Assessment Inventory, the MBTI does not use validity scales to assess exaggerated or socially desirable responses.[44] As a result, individuals motivated to do so can fake their responses,[45] and one study found that the MBTI judgment/perception dimension correlates with the Eysenck Personality Questionnaire lie scale.[46] If respondents "fear they have something to lose, they may answer as they assume they should."[8]:53 However, the MBTI ethical guidelines state, "It is unethical and in many cases illegal to require job applicants to take the Indicator if the results will be used to screen out applicants."[29] The intent of the MBTI is to provide "a framework for understanding individual differences, and … a dynamic model of individual development".[47]

Terminology
The terminology of the MBTI has been criticized as being very "vague and general",[48] so as to allow any kind of behavior to fit any personality type, which may result in the Forer effect, where individuals give a high rating to a positive description that supposedly applies specifically to them.[20][38] Others argue that while the MBTI type descriptions are brief, they are also distinctive and precise.[49]:14–15 Some theorists, such as David Keirsey, have expanded on the MBTI descriptions, providing even greater detail. For instance, Keirsey's descriptions of his four temperaments, which he correlated with the sixteen MBTI personality types, show how the temperaments differ in terms of language use, intellectual orientation, educational and vocational interests, social orientation, self-image, personal values, social roles, and characteristic hand gestures.[49]:32–207

Factor analysis
With regard to factor analysis, one study of 1291 college-aged students found six different factors instead of the four used in the MBTI.[50] In other studies, researchers found that the JP and the SN scales correlate with one another.[33]

Correlates
According to Hans Eysenck: "The main dimension in the MBTI is called E-I, or extraversion-introversion; this is mostly a sociability scale, correlating quite well with the MMPI social introversion scale (negatively) and the Eysenck Extraversion scale (positively) (Eysenck and Eysenck, 1985). Unfortunately, the scale also has a loading on neuroticism, which correlates with the introverted end. Thus introversion correlates roughly (i.e. averaging values for males and females) -.44 with dominance, -.24 with aggression, +.37 with abasement, +.46 with counselling readiness, -.52 with self-confidence, -.36 with personal adjustment, and -.45 with empathy. The failure of the scale to disentangle Introversion and Neuroticism (in fact there is no scale for neurotic and other psychopathological attributes in the MBTI) is its worst feature, only equalled by the failure to use factor analysis in order to test the arrangement of items in the scale."[18]

Reliability
Some researchers have interpreted the reliability of the test as being low, particularly with regards to the test-retest reliability of the test. Studies have found that between 39% and 76% of those tested fall into different types upon retesting some weeks or years later,[38][41] and large numbers of individuals have found that they get different classifications when retaking the test after just five weeks. There is also strong evidence that the different scales are correlated, and not independent as claimed.[38] In Fortune Magazine on May 15, 2013, an article on the test, entitled "Have we all been duped by the Myers-Briggs Test", said that:

"The interesting -- and somewhat alarming -- fact about the MBTI is that, despite its popularity, it has been subject to sustained criticism by professional psychologists for over three decades. One problem is that it displays what statisticians call low "test-retest reliability." So if you retake the test after only a five-week gap, there's around a 50% chance that you will fall into a different personality category compared to the first time you took the test."

The consequence is that the scores of two people labelled "introvert" and "extravert" may be almost exactly the same, but they could be placed into different categories since they fall on either side of an imaginary dividing line.[51]

One study reports that the MBTI dichotomies exhibit good split-half reliability; however, the dichotomy scores are distributed in a bell curve, and the overall type allocations are less reliable. Also, test-retest reliability is sensitive to the time between tests. Within each dichotomy scale, as measured on Form G, about 83% of categorizations remain the same when individuals are retested within nine months, and around 75% when individuals are retested after nine months. About 50% of people tested within nine months remain the same overall type, and 36% remain the same type after more than nine months.[52] For Form M (the most current form of the MBTI instrument), the MBTI Manual reports that these scores are higher (p. 163, Table 8.6).

In one study, when people were asked to compare their preferred type to that assigned by the MBTI assessment, only half of people picked the same profile.[53] Critics also argue that the MBTI lacks falsifiability[citation needed], which can cause confirmation bias in the interpretation of results.

A number of scholars argue that criticisms regarding the MBTI mostly come down to questions regarding the validity of its origins, not questions regarding the validity of the MBTI's usefulness.[54] Others argue that the MBTI can be a reliable measurement of personality; it just so happens that "like all measures, the MBTI yields scores that are dependent on sample characteristics and testing conditions".[55]

#15 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

I'm ISTP.

Apparently I'm a lot like Steve Jobs, Ron Paul, Clint Eastwood, and Snoop Dogg.

#16 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

The statistical validity of the MBTI as a psychometric instrument has been the subject of criticism. It has been estimated that between a third and a half of the published material on the MBTI has been produced for conferences of the Center for the Application of Psychological Type (which provides training in the MBTI) or as papers in the Journal of Psychological Type (which is edited by Myers–Briggs advocates).[37] It has been argued that this reflects a lack of critical scrutiny.[37][38] Many of the studies that endorse MBTI are methodologically weak.[38][39] A 1996 review by Gardner and Martinko concluded: "It is clear that efforts to detect simplistic linkages between type preferences and managerial effectiveness have been disappointing. Indeed, given the mixed quality of research and the inconsistent findings, no definitive conclusion regarding these relationships can be drawn."[38][39]

For example, some researchers expected that scores would show a bimodal distribution with peaks near the ends of the scales, but found that scores on the individual subscales were actually distributed in a centrally peaked manner similar to a normal distribution. A cut-off exists at the center of the subscale such that a score on one side is classified as one type, and a score on the other side as the opposite type. This fails to support the concept of type: the norm is for people to lie near the middle of the subscale.[33][38][40][41][42] "Although we do not conclude that the absence of bimodality necessarily proves that the MBTI developers’ theory-based assumption of categorical “types” of personality is invalid, the absence of empirical bimodality in IRT-based MBTI scores does indeed remove a potentially powerful line of evidence that was previously available to “type” advocates to cite in defense of their position." [42]

In 1991, the National Academy of Sciences committee reviewed data from MBTI research studies and concluded that only the I-E scale has high correlations with comparable scales of other instruments and low correlations with instruments designed to assess different concepts, showing strong validity. In contrast, the S-N and T-F scales show relatively weak validity. The 1991 review committee concluded at the time there was "not sufficient, well-designed research to justify the use of the MBTI in career counseling programs".[43] This study based its measurement of validity on "criterion-related validity (i.e., does the MBTI predict specific outcomes related to interpersonal relations or career success/job performance?)."[43] Studies have found that there is insufficient evidence to make claims about utility, particularly of the four letter type given after the test.[38]

The accuracy of the MBTI depends on honest self-reporting by the person tested.[8]:52–53 Unlike some personality measures, such as the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory or the Personality Assessment Inventory, the MBTI does not use validity scales to assess exaggerated or socially desirable responses.[44] As a result, individuals motivated to do so can fake their responses,[45] and one study found that the MBTI judgment/perception dimension correlates with the Eysenck Personality Questionnaire lie scale.[46] If respondents "fear they have something to lose, they may answer as they assume they should."[8]:53 However, the MBTI ethical guidelines state, "It is unethical and in many cases illegal to require job applicants to take the Indicator if the results will be used to screen out applicants."[29] The intent of the MBTI is to provide "a framework for understanding individual differences, and … a dynamic model of individual development".[47]

Terminology
The terminology of the MBTI has been criticized as being very "vague and general",[48] so as to allow any kind of behavior to fit any personality type, which may result in the Forer effect, where individuals give a high rating to a positive description that supposedly applies specifically to them.[20][38] Others argue that while the MBTI type descriptions are brief, they are also distinctive and precise.[49]:14–15 Some theorists, such as David Keirsey, have expanded on the MBTI descriptions, providing even greater detail. For instance, Keirsey's descriptions of his four temperaments, which he correlated with the sixteen MBTI personality types, show how the temperaments differ in terms of language use, intellectual orientation, educational and vocational interests, social orientation, self-image, personal values, social roles, and characteristic hand gestures.[49]:32–207

Factor analysis
With regard to factor analysis, one study of 1291 college-aged students found six different factors instead of the four used in the MBTI.[50] In other studies, researchers found that the JP and the SN scales correlate with one another.[33]

Correlates
According to Hans Eysenck: "The main dimension in the MBTI is called E-I, or extraversion-introversion; this is mostly a sociability scale, correlating quite well with the MMPI social introversion scale (negatively) and the Eysenck Extraversion scale (positively) (Eysenck and Eysenck, 1985). Unfortunately, the scale also has a loading on neuroticism, which correlates with the introverted end. Thus introversion correlates roughly (i.e. averaging values for males and females) -.44 with dominance, -.24 with aggression, +.37 with abasement, +.46 with counselling readiness, -.52 with self-confidence, -.36 with personal adjustment, and -.45 with empathy. The failure of the scale to disentangle Introversion and Neuroticism (in fact there is no scale for neurotic and other psychopathological attributes in the MBTI) is its worst feature, only equalled by the failure to use factor analysis in order to test the arrangement of items in the scale."[18]

Reliability
Some researchers have interpreted the reliability of the test as being low, particularly with regards to the test-retest reliability of the test. Studies have found that between 39% and 76% of those tested fall into different types upon retesting some weeks or years later,[38][41] and large numbers of individuals have found that they get different classifications when retaking the test after just five weeks. There is also strong evidence that the different scales are correlated, and not independent as claimed.[38] In Fortune Magazine on May 15, 2013, an article on the test, entitled "Have we all been duped by the Myers-Briggs Test", said that:

"The interesting -- and somewhat alarming -- fact about the MBTI is that, despite its popularity, it has been subject to sustained criticism by professional psychologists for over three decades. One problem is that it displays what statisticians call low "test-retest reliability." So if you retake the test after only a five-week gap, there's around a 50% chance that you will fall into a different personality category compared to the first time you took the test."

The consequence is that the scores of two people labelled "introvert" and "extravert" may be almost exactly the same, but they could be placed into different categories since they fall on either side of an imaginary dividing line.[51]

One study reports that the MBTI dichotomies exhibit good split-half reliability; however, the dichotomy scores are distributed in a bell curve, and the overall type allocations are less reliable. Also, test-retest reliability is sensitive to the time between tests. Within each dichotomy scale, as measured on Form G, about 83% of categorizations remain the same when individuals are retested within nine months, and around 75% when individuals are retested after nine months. About 50% of people tested within nine months remain the same overall type, and 36% remain the same type after more than nine months.[52] For Form M (the most current form of the MBTI instrument), the MBTI Manual reports that these scores are higher (p. 163, Table 8.6).

In one study, when people were asked to compare their preferred type to that assigned by the MBTI assessment, only half of people picked the same profile.[53] Critics also argue that the MBTI lacks falsifiability[citation needed], which can cause confirmation bias in the interpretation of results.

A number of scholars argue that criticisms regarding the MBTI mostly come down to questions regarding the validity of its origins, not questions regarding the validity of the MBTI's usefulness.[54] Others argue that the MBTI can be a reliable measurement of personality; it just so happens that "like all measures, the MBTI yields scores that are dependent on sample characteristics and testing conditions".[55]

ok

#17 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 805 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

He can copy and paste, he must know his personality types.

#18 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:52 AM

I'm an INFP

Idealistic, imaginative, and passionate, you have a strong sense of your personal values and ideals and you tend to feel ill at ease in situations where you have to compromise these ideals due to external demands. You are very sensitive to the dictates of your own imagination and conscience and by default, you dearly want to give others space to be who they are. Thoughtful and considerate, you most likely find it easy to accept society's eccentrics and misfits without rendering judgment. Open and tolerant, you dislike prejudice and stereotypes and you are sometimes liable to give people the benefit of the doubt in situations where others think that "you should know better." Because of your idealism, you may sometimes neglect to give yourself enough credit for the things you accomplish or to speak up for yourself in relationships and groups. Your challenge in life is to balance authenticity with practicality and find a way to be true to yourself and yet live in harmony with the world around you.

I'm also looking for other people to talk to who are INFP, so if you are, pm me.

#19 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

INTJ

Independent, goal-oriented, and resolute, you tend to have very clear notions about how the abstract ideas that you nurture in your head should be turned into reality. Once you have determined what needs to be done you throw yourself at the problem with an unyielding decisiveness that thinks little of other people's skepticism and reservations. Being extremely independent and strong-willed, you tend to simply ignore it when people protest that your plan is "impossible." Living in a world of ideas and strategic planning as you do, others rarely have the prerequisites, intelligence, or competence to offer solid correctives to your plans anyway. They rarely plan ahead and optimize as extensively as you do, so it is natural that they won't understand the full magnitude and importance of your schemes until you actually carry them out and convince the world otherwise.

#20 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

I get different results depending on my mood when I take the test, but I most frequently get ISTJ.

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:00 AM

Why are all of you introverted? O_o

Welcome to the internet!

#22 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

101887-Ron-Swanson-I-am-not-intereste-1V

This ain't no personality type. 

#23 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

ISTJ here. A lot of those questions seemed to ask the same ^^; "Feelings or rationale?" xD

#24 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

INFP

Idealistic, imaginative, and passionate, you have a strong sense of your personal values and ideals and you tend to feel ill at ease in situations where you have to compromise these ideals due to external demands. You are very sensitive to the dictates of your own imagination and conscience and by default, you dearly want to give others space to be who they are. Thoughtful and considerate, you most likely find it easy to accept society's eccentrics and misfits without rendering judgment. Open and tolerant, you dislike prejudice and stereotypes and you are sometimes liable to give people the benefit of the doubt in situations where others think that "you should know better." Because of your idealism, you may sometimes neglect to give yourself enough credit for the things you accomplish or to speak up for yourself in relationships and groups. Your challenge in life is to balance authenticity with practicality and find a way to be true to yourself and yet live in harmony with the world around you.

@Napiform :D

#25 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

Organized, systematic, and thorough, the world would not be such a messy place if more people thought like you

ESTJ organized race reporting in

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users