End of days is coming for neopets?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Derpy

Derpy
  • 134 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

I just started playing again so if Neopets could just make like a patient on life support that'd be great.

#27 Branlaur

Branlaur
  • 907 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

I just started playing again so if Neopets could just make like a patient on life support that'd be great.

What? make like a patient on life support?

#28 Derpy

Derpy
  • 134 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:50 PM

What? make like a patient on life support?

Okay perhaps it was a cruel metaphor. Or one that was poorly conveyed.

Think of Neopets as the patient and the only thing keeping it alive is life support. It will keep on living (on life support) until someone pulls the plug.

Admittedly, I should have probably just said it's on its last legs now and I would appreciate if it didn't crash and burn as soon as I come back. \(///Σ///)\

#29 Branlaur

Branlaur
  • 907 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:13 PM

Okay perhaps it was a cruel metaphor. Or one that was poorly conveyed.

Think of Neopets as the patient and the only thing keeping it alive is life support. It will keep on living (on life support) until someone pulls the plug.

Admittedly, I should have probably just said it's on its last legs now and I would appreciate if it didn't crash and burn as soon as I come back. \(///Σ///)\

I was thinking Neopets to be more of a patient dying that's off life support XD. It's not really living that much. Dying more than it's living.

#30 Nicita

Nicita
  • 32 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:27 AM

Looking at other similar games, I'm pretty sure Neopets will have a (very) long tail; There will be a core userbase that stays dedicated, will still find a way to have fun. Yes, Neopets 'as we knew it' between fifteen and ten years ago is dying, but gameplay will become different, the target demographic becomes different, and the resulting goals & reasons to play will, too.

Definitely curious to see what JumpStart does with it. They've made some very positive changes because they seem to actually be listening to their creative staff as opposed to making artists plow through more & more NC Mall content. Given that I played Math Blaster in primary school all the way across the ocean and JumpStart -still- exists as a company, I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing ;)

Slow going, but emphasis on the going still!

Edited by Nicita, 24 February 2015 - 02:27 AM.

#31 GekkeSteph

GekkeSteph
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

Funny how everybody got worked up by my topic. I was kind of joking. 

Yes neopets is loosing a lot of fans, but so is jumpstart to.

Everyday there are more people on jumpstarts fb page. And this seems to have some effect.

(equipping weapons in bd is fixed yesterday)

And putting this picture up in caption contest was like self-spot for neopets:P

I hope everything is gonna be all right in the end. But that's all up to jumpstart right now!

#32 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:35 AM

the target demographic becomes different

They went with children when Nick took over.

How well do you think they'd thrive if they played the Nostalgia Card and started catering back to college students and those who were around in the beginning?

I imagine some of those Nick Kids are probably getting college age about nowish so... thumbsup2.gif

#33 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:46 AM

Raining frogs is one of the 12 plagues from the bible I believe. After all 12, neopets will die at the end. It's one of the very first "successful" pet sites of it's kind, thus, it's the first born child. The final plague is the death of the first born. 

:p

Jk. 

Is the swarm of locust the sheer amount of bugs and glitches the site has had since the move?

#34 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:29 AM

Is the swarm of locust the sheer amount of bugs and glitches the site has had since the move?

*a random Tailwind appears*

Holy crap. Where did you come from?

And who's  dick do I have to suck to get those gym badges?

:lol2:

I think flies would be the bugs.  Locust would be glitches? And darkness = lag.

Then, naturally, lice is the influx of n00bs that remain from when Nick took over.

Oh crap :o  we really are at The End

2z65nnn.png

of days.

#35 Nicita

Nicita
  • 32 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:31 AM

They went with children when Nick took over.

How well do you think they'd thrive if they played the Nostalgia Card and started catering back to college students and those who were around in the beginning?

I imagine some of those Nick Kids are probably getting college age about nowish so... thumbsup2.gif

I don't necessarily agree. Outwardly, perhaps, with the database merging with MonkeyQuest & the PetpetPark focus, but Nick made their choices content-driven. Nickelodeon very heavily targeted the NeoCash Mall and wearables in general, and that means their main target demographic were people that enjoy customising their pets (i.e. people with access to a credit card & the choice to use much of their extra income on capsules and the like). If they wanted to target kids, they would have focused on the games portal more than they did, or the pet interaction (i.e. exploring with your pet), or other elements. If they wanted to target oldbie players, the battledome, stock market, restocking, food club and those sorts of engaging features.

The moment JumpStart took over, Snarkie and other creative staff answered some of the frequently asked questions on the boards -- Players feared JumpStart, as an educational game development company for kids, would change Neopets into an educational games platform. Snarkie and JumpStart both confirmed that this was not the case, in fact, JumpStart bought Neopets to expand their userbase and sort of 'purchase' their way into a niche market full of passionate older players. Converting to a kids' site isn't what they say their strategy is. Of course we're currently still living off the content that was prepped during the Nick phase (given that content is made over a year in advance), but as soon as that peters down we'll see what JumpStart is actually after in the content they start offering :)

Curious to see what will happen; Their initial spontaneous changes (2m trade cap increase, auction house things) were nice, but they also let go of some of the old creative staff, which is mindboggling to me!

#36 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

Curious to see what will happen; Their initial spontaneous changes (2m trade cap increase, auction house things) were nice, but they also let go of some of the old creative staff, which is mindboggling to me!

I am curious as well.  The new RS system has fixed issues with Kads, trades and over priced items but in turn has also now made selling of items a bit harder.

I am curious to see what they are going to do with the neo economy and what plans for site expansion they will do.

#37 Branlaur

Branlaur
  • 907 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

I am curious as well.  The new RS system has fixed issues with Kads, trades and over priced items but in turn has also now made selling of items a bit harder.

I am curious to see what they are going to do with the neo economy and what plans for site expansion they will do.

Think "selling items a bit harder" is a massive understatement. It's so hard to sell items now unless it's like a R99 album stamp or something.

#38 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:35 AM

true but I am hoping something will be done about that what I have no idea but one can hope ;)

#39 Branlaur

Branlaur
  • 907 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

Yea, hopefully Jumpstart can do something to jumpstart the economy and playerbase XD.

#40 xemos

xemos
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

Yea, hopefully Jumpstart can do something to jumpstart the economy and playerbase XD.

Daily faerie quest month is a very good start  :rolleyes: .

Edited by xemos, 24 February 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#41 Branlaur

Branlaur
  • 907 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

Daily faerie quest month is a very good start  :rolleyes: .

But breaking shops aren't -.- all of the shops aren't restocking. Either they RS banned everyone, or broke the shops.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users