101 replies to this topic

#26 Oktober

Oktober
  • Team ASS

• 318 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:25 AM

Yay for the topic!

I have to admit I am guilty of messing with my hair too much. 

I stopped using agressive shampoos about a year ago and only go with natural products. I only wash my roots since the ends aren't really greasy and they get clean with the shampoo water and I wash my hair every two days (second day is already quite ugly so ponytal or some fancy braids) but I really touch them a lot and brush them every hour or so because it feels good. No heat though, sometimes I curly then naturally ( I have very light waves)

I only use conditioner every three washes or so because my lengths don't get dry, also sometimes I use a (tiny) bit of oil to give them that extra shine.

I was actually thinking about going without washing my hair in the summer when I have vacations and spend every day at the beach swimming or wandering around and I couldn't care less about my look. I could at least try since I won't have to look good.

Spoiler

#27 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

I'm confused, you use sulfate free products but also Tresemme. Those have SLS in their composition? At least the ones sold here have. :/

It's a heat protectant spray, not something I use often. I really don't worry about it in small amounts.

#28 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

I also wash my hair maybe every 3 days or so (I shower daily most of the time, I'm not gross).

I brush my hair with my fingers after I get out of the shower and then If I'm going to style it I'll use a regular brush. Most of the time it ends up in a messy bun on top of my head because idgaf about what it looks like.

This, exactly.

As for shampoo, sometimes I use homemade shampoos/conditioners, sometimes I use store bought. 

#29 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

I literally do nothing on most days, except brush it because my hair is pretty flawless as it naturally goes. I'm very lucky. 

#30 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

Why did you decide to go as natural as you can? 
@Jess soap don't work well with hard water, and the BS has a reaction with that type of water (saponification or something like that) like regular soaps do. I've heard of some people that have success using it by apply a water filter in the head shower.
And I had the same problem with conditioner, that's why I use a castor + olive oil mask once a week.

Yeah, I've thought about a water filter, but a water filter to wash hair seems a little excessive to me.
As far as going natural, it's silly to eat right and drink loads of water and do all the cleaning with vinegar... then turn around and dump chemicals all over myself/kids. It seemed counter-productive to me, since the skin is the largest organ. I know this topic is about hair, but as far as lotions and moisturizers go, I rarely ever use those (like once a year when I think I'm getting laid) and when I do, it's organic 5 ingredient stuff. For soap, I switch between lye soap my dad's girlfriend makes and glycerin soap I make, depending on the time of the year.

#31 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:27 AM

I have long, wavy hair and I like to just let it do its thing. I prefer to wash with sulfate-free products, but I'll usually just grab whatever is most cost-effective at the drugstore. When I get out of the shower, I massage some leave-in conditioner into my ends (because winter) and just scrunch it a little. I only brush my hair before a shower, and use a wide tooth comb afterwards on the upper part of my hair to avoid any bumps and tangles there. Then I just flip my hair every few minutes to one side or the other as it air dries. That helps a lot with volume.

Once in a while (probably three times a month) I'll curl or straighten my hair. Fortunately, I don't look like a mess without blow drying my hair, so I save a lot of time and energy in that area. I also occasionally dye my hair a dark chocolate brown color with some demi-permanent dye. I donate my hair when it gets ridiculously long, so I don't want to damage it with permanent dyes or too much heat.

#32 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

I use a salon hemp shampoo & conditioner right now, but the only reason being that it was bought for me. When visitors come over I turn the shampoo bottles so that the logos are facing the wall. ha ha ha. I have nothing to say about it good or bad really. it's not natural, there are sulfates (which I avoided back when I dyed with henna) it's whatever. I deep condition with coconut oil. I never liked blowdryers, my hair has seen the barrel of a curling iron a handful of times, I prefer no heat natural curls, never used a hair straightener. I need a hair cut. yeah.

#33 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

Trim my hair, but keep the mohawk every 2-3 months or so. I should probably do it 1-2 months, but lazy and my friend who did the trimming moved.

Shampoo every couple of days with either Head n Shoulders or some natural shampoo that I got from work. I do have dandruff, though it doesn't bother me since I've had it since beginning of high school. I've also had salt n pepper hair since then too, maybe they're connected idk.

Facial hair I always shave since I've never felt I would look good with it and the times I let it grow for like 3 days is super irritating.

#34 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

@Oktober

my hair is always better during the summer, it LOVES sea water. But I absolutely avoid pools, it's not only really bad for hair but skin also, makes it all gross and blergh. Just no. Besides I noticed my kids started to get pimples in their scalp last summer, it took me a while to discover it was from the swimming pool, so I'll have to find another way to entertain them this summer lol.

What kinda oil do you use?

Also, the more you touch your hair the quicker it gets oily = more washes. Try to control yourself and you'll b able to push off your wash days. 

@mermaiden

it was just curiosity, really. I just wanted to know if Tresemme has a free sulfate line. 

If you're happy with your method, I'm happy too. :p

@Tauriel

care to share recipes?

I'm always looking for alternatives. I like to experiment.

@Jess

totally agree with you. I cut off all processed stuff from my house, from cleaning products to food. 

I'm currently using natural soaps from a local store so personal hygiene and rustic bar soap or vinegar for house cleaning. 

As far as lotions and stuff like that goes, the only thing I can't substitute is the solar protection, I can't find a recipe I can make with ingredients I can use.

I never tried making my own soaps but I'm very tempted to try this summer. Any recipe you would like to share?

@Shannon

10 points to you for donating your hair. :)

@kittycat

so we're basically on the same boat lol

@0ryx

I tried coconut oil once, but it was so hard to get it out without shampoo. Ugh. I loved the smell tho. Wish I could use it again. :(

I keep a bottle of shampoo in the bathroom closet just for visitors. Some people freak out when they don't see a store bottle in the shower. Freaks. :p

@blue

give up on the shampoo, dandruff might disappear for good.

When you go to the shower gently massage your scalp with warm water for a couple of minutes, proceed with your usual routine and in the end use cold (or lukewarm if you can't handle the cold) water without massaging it. 

You could try a vinegar wash too before the cold wash. 1 lt of water with 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.

And I have no idea what's a "salt n pepper hair" lol

#35 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

give up on the shampoo, dandruff might disappear for good.
When you go to the shower gently massage your scalp with warm water for a couple of minutes, proceed with your usual routine and in the end use cold (or lukewarm if you can't handle the cold) water without massaging it. 
You could try a vinegar wash too before the cold wash. 1 lt of water with 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.

And I have no idea what's a "salt n pepper hair" lol

@Athayde I'll give the no shampoo a try right away.

Salt n pepper hair just means I have numerous white and grey strands of hair atop my head. My hair is primarily black so the white and grey makes it kinda like I got salt n pepper sprinkled on my hair, or thats my own explanation of it lol.

#36 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

@Jess
totally agree with you. I cut off all processed stuff from my house, from cleaning products to food. 
I'm currently using natural soaps from a local store so personal hygiene and rustic bar soap or vinegar for house cleaning. 
As far as lotions and stuff like that goes, the only thing I can't substitute is the solar protection, I can't find a recipe I can make with ingredients I can use.
I never tried making my own soaps but I'm very tempted to try this summer. Any recipe you would like to share?

We use sunscreen once a year, when we go to a beach with whiter sand and burn like hell. The rest of the time, we don't use it at all. I just keep track of how long we've been outside and make sure the kids spend time in the shade. We don't have a family history of skin cancer and I believe the sun is the best source of vitamin D. I've seen a lot of different suncreen recipes, but I can't justify putting out the effort when I know we wouldn't use it anyway.

I can't give you a lye one at all. Lye scares the shit out of me lol, that's why I leave it to other people to do. It's also generally a seasonal thing, done around slaughtering time when there's spare lard. (Yes, I wash my face with pig fat sometimes.)

Glycerin though, I can help with. It's basically lye soap with all the scary parts already done. You buy glycerin (they sell organic and not) and melt it down, then add whatever herbs/salt/oils you want to it, stir, and pour into a mold. Then wait. (All glycerin is is the byproduct of forcing the fat and lye together. They take it out during the commercial soap making process and sell it as a byproduct to other companies.)

/uselessnapifactoftheday

#37 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

@blue

keep us updated, there's more cheap treatments for dandruff, one will work for you eventually lol

@Jess

I didn't know that about glycerin!

I've been postponing making soaps because of the lye. Having three kids in the house I started to imagine the worst outcomes, but I'll sure try that glycerin recipe. I suppose I won't need to wait for it to cure?

I use castor and olive oil for my hair as well as for my face. And homemade rose water.

But lard?! lol oh the poor piggies. 

#38 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

@Jess
I didn't know that about glycerin!
I've been postponing making soaps because of the lye. Having three kids in the house I started to imagine the worst outcomes, but I'll sure try that glycerin recipe. I suppose I won't need to wait for it to cure?

I use castor and olive oil for my hair as well as for my face. And homemade rose water.
But lard?! lol oh the poor piggies.

It's about 4-5 days cure time.. The traditional lye has to cure a lot longer.

#39 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

chiming in here with glycerin (melt & pour) soap making process. Its fantastic and there are alot of not scary recipes out there. I would *LOVE* to make cold press soaps but I'm with you on the lye scares me boat. and I didnt think there was a cure time for m&p good to know!

Edited by 0ryx, 04 March 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#40 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

That appeals me very much. I'll try to find glycerin around here and adventure myself. 

#41 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:59 PM

chiming in here with glycerin (melt & pour) soap making process. Its fantastic and there are alot of not scary recipes out there. I would *LOVE* to make cold press soaps but I'm with you on the lye scares me boat. and I didnt think there was a cure time for m&p good to know!

If I remember right, the cure time is solely for the purpose of keeping it together... without the cure time, it would fall apart quicker when used. It still works without it and won't hurt you, but won't last as long.

#42 Gnome

Gnome
  • Alpha As Fuck

• 1054 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:13 PM

I am odd. I dry shave and I use shampoo once a week... I might try the apple cider vinegar. I use hair product every day though. I am trying to find the right product to give my hair the natural look to stand up. Any suggestions?

#43 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:00 PM

I shave my cheeks and upper lip.

Also, that could sound pretty bad.

#44 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:27 PM

I shave my cheeks and upper lip.
Also, that could sound pretty bad.

Oh, so you're a neckbeard?

#45 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

Oh, so you're a neckbeard?

Yep, lazy shaver here. Unless it's shaving my head. Then I do a mohawk because yeah.

#46 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

Yep, lazy shaver here. Unless it's shaving my head. Then I do a mohawk because yeah.

That's totally different from what I imagine you lol

#47 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:43 PM

I've been given some asian straight flat hair. Good when you don't care, but bad when you want to be sorta cool.
Litterally doesn't do anything. Sit there. Mess it up. pat it and its back to place. Boring.

I've switched to lush, but I like scented shampoo. I will admit i have about 5 shampoos in my bathroom. I switch it up and usually use two different kinds.
No need for conditioner, but I used it to shave.
I shower like every other day. Idk how to explain it further XD

#48 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:03 PM

That's totally different from what I imagine you lol

What do you imagine me to be?

#49 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:05 PM

What do you imagine me to be?

I don't know how to explain. I have this thing where I imagine everyone's face (unless they've showed it before) lol

Now your face is incognito again :p

#50 Oktober

Oktober
  • Team ASS

• 318 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:39 AM

@Oktober

my hair is always better during the summer, it LOVES sea water. But I absolutely avoid pools, it's not only really bad for hair but skin also, makes it all gross and blergh. Just no. Besides I noticed my kids started to get pimples in their scalp last summer, it took me a while to discover it was from the swimming pool, so I'll have to find another way to entertain them this summer lol.

What kinda oil do you use?

Also, the more you touch your hair the quicker it gets oily = more washes. Try to control yourself and you'll b able to push off your wash days. 

I hate pools. Swimming in a big tub full of stranger's sweat.. bleargh. Also they stink, so happy I have the luck of living 100 meters from the beach.

I usually use sesame oil because it's not too heavy and I like the smell. My hair won't absorb olive oil, and coconute oil won't wash out.

I used jojoba oil too for a while but I've finished the bottle and never bought another one, I've always wanted to try neem oil also

And sometimes I use essential oil (?) like rosemary and lavender when I rinse my hair

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users