Updating Item Database.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Camburger

Camburger
  • 202 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

Is there any way in which the AB will not update the neocodex item database? Because thats the only thing i am worried about right now.

#2 Nano

Nano
  • a delicious kiwi

• 325 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

Are you saying you don't want the ABer to update the database? I believe the database is updated with the total stock of a shop, not the items purchased. Therefore no real way to trace it to being AB'd.

#3 Camburger

Camburger
  • 202 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

I thought if you bought an item, the database shows it as being "Seen a minute ago" or similar to that.am i wrong?

#4 Outsider

Outsider
  • THE YOOYUNATER

• 2103 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

I thought if you bought an item, the database shows it as being "Seen a minute ago" or similar to that.am i wrong?

It does. What's wrong with that?

#5 Camburger

Camburger
  • 202 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

Someone looks on here after missing the item and sees "Seen a minute ago" then searches on trading post and sees mine on tp

#6 Nano

Nano
  • a delicious kiwi

• 325 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

It does. But I believe the database gets updated with just the shop stock at the time of refresh. Not when a single item is bought. So even if you didn't update the database, someone else would.

#7 Camburger

Camburger
  • 202 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

Oh i see now, ok, thank you!

#8 Nano

Nano
  • a delicious kiwi

• 325 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

Might want to check just in case with one of the site programmers. But I believe that's how it works.

#9 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

Someone looks on here after missing the item and sees "Seen a minute ago" then searches on trading post and sees mine on tp

dont be worried just coz its seen a minute ago does not prove you used an aber to buy it.  it could have been another person using an aber and the aber saw the item.

#10 pancakeface

pancakeface
  • 769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:43 AM

It's also a matter of when you're posting items up to sell. Even in legit RS, plenty of people sit on their items for a bit before they sell, just because yours is on the TP doesn't mean anything since you can't check times. If you don't feel comfortable about it, when for a random amount of time between purchases before putting them up for sale.

#11 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:51 AM

And of course there's also the fact that (at least when multiple people are selling the same item) usually within a few hours someone has closed their old lot and reposted it to stay on top of the Newly Listed search. Just because you're at the top of the Newly Posted list doesn't necessarily mean your item is freshly bought. :)

#12 copperhaxor

copperhaxor
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

In honestly I don't think neopets staff care enough to stalk the neocodex database like that, It is likely they are just told to ban X amount of suspect accounts within a time frame.

They know they can't win but only slow it down. Bit like the police force.

#13 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

They can win actually. There are plenty of anti cheating stuff that TNT could implement, which would kill off automatons. They're just too lazy to do it :p

I think they're both lazy, and don't know how to implement it. They couldn't take the site out of the 90's, could they? It's been stuck as it is for a while now. No changes or anything.

So how could they implement something that's probably much more complicated?

#14 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

Actually, they experimented extensively to battle against autobuyers back in the 2004s. TNT kept changing the captchas until they settled with the one they use currently. Not sure why they stopped back then :p

Probably because we beat every one, usually within a few hours. The current one is, and has been since introduction, fatally flawed and very, very easily beaten. It's a tiny bit of a design flaw when your captcha is much more of an impediment to manual players than automated ones.

#15 copperhaxor

copperhaxor
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

^

Made me laugh, V good point though hah. If anything it just gives AB even more time advantage over players.

#16 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:23 PM

I am not sure what has really been assumed here but let me lay it out.

Once every, oh lets say 10 minutes, the program manager polls our site to get a few items to price out from the database - the usrs of the program manager then use the shopwizard a few times to try and gauge an aprox price for it (we use some "advanced logic" to get a proper price) and then that is sent to the database. I am not sure what the useage of the program manager is now, but it use to be such that the entire database would get repriced weekly.

#17 zbarnwell

zbarnwell
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

An update would be awesome! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users