Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

giphy.gif

Spoiler

I LOVE POTATOES. 

Edited by Padme, 01 February 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#77 Salade

Salade
  • 551 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

giphy.gif

Spoiler

I LOVE POTATOES. 

That second image is absolutely terrifying.

#78 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:16 AM

Team Potato. There are so many different forms of potato dishes, you could have a different one for every day of the week.

We eat them every day because we eat soup everyday and soup MUST have potatoes.
We eat them mostly boiled, mashed or in the oven (my god).
Fried only like once a month, if that much.

#79 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

You called?

lol

<3

I googled 'are potatos healthy' for you and page one says that yes, they are healthy as long as you don't deep fry them. So boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew.

Actually, it depends on what you fry them in.

dem carbs though, not good for you at all... well in moderation it wont kill you, but really I wouldn't call them a "healthy" vegetable.

They're full of potassium! And if you cook them, then refrigerate overnight, THEN eat them, the starch level goes down substantially.

Depends on what you mean by healthy. There's white bread carbs ('bad') and whole grain bread carbs ('good'). 

I disagree with this. 

#80 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

<3

They're full of potassium! And if you cook them, then refrigerate overnight, THEN eat them, the starch level goes down substantially.

I disagree with this. 

Questions:

1. Will you please write a book on everything you know and how you know it?

2. Do you have to eat them cold out of the fridge?? how would you suggest reheating?

3. Please explain carbs :( 

#81 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

TIL

So me being on such a low carb diet, you wouldn't suggest eating potatoes would you? I think if/when they are in a meal I eat maybe 1-2 small bites just because they are delicious, but at this point I've already weened myself off of them/ all carbs.

#82 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:48 PM

Questions:

1. Will you please write a book on everything you know and how you know it?

2. Do you have to eat them cold out of the fridge?? how would you suggest reheating?

3. Please explain carbs :(

1. I learn by reading an obscene amount instead of do things like have friends. 

On this specific topic, Eating on the Wild Side is easily one of the best books I've ever bought. It was a HUGE number of fruits and vegetables and how to eat them for maximum nutrition. 

2. You can reheat them. All it does is turn the starch into gelatinous crap that's harder for your body to digest. It works on any higher amylose starch.

3. Fiber, starch, and sugar. They're all made of sugar, which is why low carb diets work so well for things like weight loss and epilepsy, but your body does different things with them. Sugars contain 1-2 sugar molecules, while fibers can have thousands of sugar molecules. Your body has to break each of them down to one molecule in order to absorb it. With sugars, they're simple carbs, and since they have fewer sugar molecules, they get into your bloodstream quickly. Starch and fiber are considered complex carbs. Some starches absorb fast and some slow, depending on what they are. Starches are unique in that they're generally made up of all three of them and aren't easily categorized. (I can't think of anything right now that would be a straight starch, I guess a white potato with no peel.) Fiber is broken into soluble and insoluble fiber, Soluble slows down the carb absorption into the blood stream and insoluble is the kind that helps you shit right. When you count carbs, you subtract fiber from the carb count, which is how you end up with things like zero carb vegetables.

TIL

So me being on such a low carb diet, you wouldn't suggest eating potatoes would you? I think if/when they are in a meal I eat maybe 1-2 small bites just because they are delicious, but at this point I've already weened myself off of them/ all carbs.

If you eat 1-2 smalls bites, make sure you're eating the bites with peels on them. If you HAVE TO EAT POTATOES OR YOU'LL DIE OF CRAVINGS, eat white over sweet, with the peel on, and a lot of some kind of fat. The fat and fiber from the peel will slow down the absorption into the bloodstream. But no, not as a routine thing or anything like that. You're better off with cauliflower or something like that.

#83 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:52 PM

On this specific topic, Eating on the Wild Side is easily one of the best books I've ever bought. It was a HUGE number of fruits and vegetables and how to eat them for maximum nutrition. 

2. You can reheat them. All it does is turn the starch into gelatinous crap that's harder for your body to digest. It works on any higher amylose starch.

3. Fiber, starch, and sugar. They're all made of sugar, which is why low carb diets work so well for things like weight loss and epilepsy, but your body does different things with them. Sugars contain 1-2 sugar molecules, while fibers can have thousands of sugar molecules. Your body has to break each of them down to one molecule in order to absorb it. With sugars, they're simple carbs, and since they have fewer sugar molecules, they get into your bloodstream quickly. Starch and fiber are considered complex carbs. Some starches absorb fast and some slow, depending on what they are. Starches are unique in that they're generally made up of all three of them and aren't easily categorized. (I can't think of anything right now that would be a straight starch, I guess a white potato with no peel.) Fiber is broken into soluble and insoluble fiber, Soluble slows down the carb absorption into the blood stream and insoluble is the kind that helps you shit right. When you count carbs, you subtract fiber from the carb count, which is how you end up with things like zero carb vegetables.

If you eat 1-2 smalls bites, make sure you're eating the bites with peels on them. If you HAVE TO EAT POTATOES OR YOU'LL DIE OF CRAVINGS, eat white over sweet, with the peel on, and a lot of some kind of fat. The fat and fiber from the peel will slow down the absorption into the bloodstream. But no, not as a routine thing or anything like that. You're better off with cauliflower or something like that.

Noted! 

You should really write a book or something, I'd pay for that shit.

#84 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

Noted! 

You should really write a book or something, I'd pay for that shit.

It's something I've considered. I'm (slowly) working on getting a blog together for all this healthy crap I have shoved in my head.

#85 Salade

Salade
  • 551 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

<3

Actually, it depends on what you fry them in.

I disagree with this. 

Well, we kind of agree because a)I only have half knowledge from that one time anutrionoist tried to explain to me how food stuff works and b) I'm not good with words. I just really like potatos. Also, keeping potatos in the fridge creates a chemical that's apparently not so good. We should have this discussion in German, I'd do so much better.

#86 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

Well, we kind of agree because a)I only have half knowledge from that one time anutrionoist tried to explain to me how food stuff works and b) I'm not good with words. I just really like potatos. Also, keeping potatos in the fridge creates a chemical that's apparently not so good. We should have this discussion in German, I'd do so much better.

I think I know what you're talking about. It's called acrylamide? I don't think it happens with potatoes that are already cooked though, just raw ones. The reason is because refrigerating raw potatoes increases their sugar content and high sugar content will lead to high acrylamide levels once they're cooked anyway but boiling. But cooking then refrigerating wouldn't effect that, I don't think. Especially if you boil then fridge.

I'm sorry, I love food and don't know German besides like bad words and rammstein. 

#87 Salade

Salade
  • 551 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

I think I know what you're talking about. It's called acrylamide? I don't think it happens with potatoes that are already cooked though, just raw ones. The reason is because refrigerating raw potatoes increases their sugar content and high sugar content will lead to high acrylamide levels once they're cooked anyway but boiling. But cooking then refrigerating wouldn't effect that, I don't think. Especially if you boil then fridge.

I'm sorry, I love food and don't know German besides like bad words and rammstein. 

Probably, talked about this with my dad earlier on. Huh, food chemistry is surprisingly interesting. 

Those are all the words you'll need. Und Gratuliere zum Moderatur-Status (again)!

#88 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

nvm never getting pregnant again zika virus is in houston

#89 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

lolnoooooooo xD

My health is too poor.  Sorry guys  :sorry:

#90 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

I would rep the shit out of this if I could.

Potatoes are good if you need a cheap source of specific nutrients (potassium, B6, and vit C namely). But overall, you shouldn't be eating them all the time and as Jess said, the peel is where it's at, but the flesh can be good too. Once or twice a week, if prepared correctly and in small servings is good. My husband did a low-carb diet and cut out far too many carbs, ended up getting sick because he wasn't getting enough carbs, so we started adding a bit more potato to our diet. Besides, I have to have a high electrolyte (particularly sodium) diet because of my postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. So vegetables are the best way to get low-carb with electrolytes and avoid pounding down Powerade/Gatorade which is high in icky sugar. 

The best thing you can do is just read and try to find good peer-reviewed research for low-carb diets, food chemistry and nutrition.

#91 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:50 AM

lolnoooooooo xD

My health is too poor.  Sorry guys  :sorry:

:( I hope your health improves. That bums me out. 

Edit: Not the baby thing.. just that your health is poor in general. 

#92 Sylas

Sylas
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

It's 2016 and food can still make you fat... get it together science!

#93 Required

Required
  • 922 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

It's 2016 and food can still make you fat... get it together science!

dude, that's so true. where is my fat-free chocolate? Like, real chocolate

#94 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:19 AM

I'm surprised there hasn't been an actual fire where I live. 

Alarm goes off multiple times a week. So much so that people are used to it and won't go outside if the alarm goes off (kind of dangerous if there were to actually be a fire). It went off last night at 4 am for about five minutes. I don't think I even jumped. I just laid in bed half asleep. It wasn't until right before it turned off that I wondered if I should go outside lolol

We always joke that if there's a real fire, we're all going to die. 

#95 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:48 AM

I'm surprised @Jess hasn't had another baby yet

in your dreams scotty

I DID IT

It has died. Le petit mort.

Also I just got this joke

1 user(s) are reading this topic