• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:49 AM

I use a light powder foundation almost daily, if I leave the house. Only because my face will turn red if I stand too long, or sit and then stand up. I've grown rather self-conscious about my weird facial rash that comes and goes due to my POTs. It bothers me because I'm especially pale. So, it's a stark contrast. Occasionally, I like to wear mascara, eyeshadow and liner, mostly because it's fun putting it on and learning how to use it. 

#27 Salade

Salade
  • 551 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

I used to do full faced no make up make up. Primer, foundation, concealer, mild contour, mascara, lip butter. Now I'm more into skincare and not giving a rats ass if my pale skin is slightly red when it's warm/cold/I'm excited. All my beauty funds go into skincare and if I do feel like I need some coverage, LM tinted moisturizer. But 9 out of 10 days it's just mascara because I look like an alien without it.

And I'm a huge scaredy cat, before I buy a product I read a thousand reviews online. And end up not buying a product. 

#28 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:19 AM

I have obsessive compulsive disorder with dermatillomania (used to be trichotillomania and I had next to no eyebrows in the beginning of high school) so I pick at my skin when I get stressed. I realize that I only do harm to myself, but it's really difficult to stop. As a result, makeup enables me to hide my disorder which allows me to keep confidence. I mean it's not -horrible- but if I didn't wear foundation or concealer, you could see scars from when I occasionally go into a trance-like mode and gouge at my face for like an hour. Going through my last semester of my bachelor's degree and immediately having to accept a new position as a research assistant for my PhD about two and a half hours away from my boyfriend... you can guess it's been bad for the last few months lol.

Otherwise I will usually wear pencil eyeliner with a liquid eyeliner on the top. I rarely wear eyeshadow and mascara, but sometimes I put the effort especially when I know I'll be in low lighting.

#29 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

I've worn full makeup a few times, but that's only been for theatre productions. I didn't mind it, but I don't think it exactly made me look better. You could tell I was wearing makeup, and since I'm already not exactly a rugged guy it just made me look a bit too feminine.

If it didn't go against social standards I might wear things like concealer or other basic stuff, but if anyone realised I was wearing makeup I feel like it might do more harm than good for my self image. I kind of wish guys had an option like makeup that was socially acceptable and didn't look kind of feminine. No offense to any guys that do wear makeup.

#30 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

*obsessively lurks thread*

I've never bothered much about makeup growing up. It was against the rules to wear any in high school, and I just didn't care to wear makeup during university. In the working world, every other woman that I work with wears makeup, and it's really well done so I'm starting to feel awkward going around barefaced. I didn't have the greatest skin either (til a month ago!) since I never learnt how to care for it.

For facial skincare, I recently discovered the facial brush. I have the Olay ProX, and this thing is the best thing I have ever put on my face. Seriously. Washing my face with my hands just didn't cut it, but with the facial brush, the number of pimples I've had popping up has gone from around 20 to 2. It. Is. AMAZING. I swear, if you have oily skin, you're almost 30, and you're tired of looking like you're going through puberty, this is a godsend. I use Clean and Clear Morning Burst Shine Control Facial Cleaner every day with the facial brush. I also use Biore Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser at intervals because it's nice, and Benzoyl Peroxide soap during oily episodes.

I've tried mascara, but my eyes are weird. Eyeliner makes them look ridiculously small, and anytime I've used eyeliner or mascara, it smudges throughout the day and I end up with hideous racoon eyes. Waterproof mascara is fine, but I'm afraid that's a bit too harsh on my lashes. I use Maybelline's The Falsies Volum Express, but that scoop brush pisses me off. I'm definitely looking for suggestions for mascara. And really, I would like to make the peepers look bigger somehow. Maybe eyeshadow would work? A specific colour? The Neocodex Beauty Gurus will know! I don't do anything with the brows apart from shaping them from time to time. Nothing drastic, just yanking out a few errant eyebrow hairs here and there.

I have the cream foundation from The Body Shop, along with their concealer pencil, all-in-one base powder, and their compact powder. I rarely use any of them other than the cream foundation. I don't wear any makeup during breakouts - which was happening a lot the last few years. Hopefully I can go back to that now!

I need lipstick suggestions. I have no idea what I'm doing in that area at all. Do you need pencils? Do you put the pencil everywhere? I've seen people outline and I've seen people colour it all in. Help! I only use shimmery nude lipstick because I'm self-conscious about not doing it right. I would like to try a bolder colour some day though.. I've also tried Maybelline's Baby Lips tinted balms. Worst things I have EVER used! They are so ridiculously drying and not moisturizing in the least. Even normal Blistex seemed to be backfiring on me. Now I've converted back to Vaseline, and they sell it in these adorable tiny tubs too!

Melasma runs in my family, so I'm going to be slathering on the sunscreen from now on. Neutrogena made these greasy, GREASY sunscreens about 20 years ago when I first started using them. That shit used to make me extremely tanned, even more than when I wasn't wearing it at all. It wasn't blocking the sun, it was instead focusing it on me and turning me into a fried mess. I think that was for the sun worshippers who are sitting on the beach trying to get a tan. I stopped using it altogether, but now I'm seeing that they have a greaseless formula out which seems really good. SPF 45 and 100 and crazy number like that.

I sparingly use nail polish.. I go for Rimmel and LA Colors.. Rimmel is the best brand I have ever used, and LA Colors does a good job for their extremely cheap price. I've never used anything high end, so I have nothing to compare them against.

Damn this is long

TL;DR: I'm a newbie, spill your beauty secrets!

I feel like I need a facial brush now. I constantly get breakouts in the most random places on my face.

When it comes to lipstick I only use mattes because you don't have reapply as much. Colourpop is pretty cheap and they have a lot of cool colors. They're fun to play with when you're a beginner but their mattes can be pretty drying. It's important to get a good lip exfoliatior and exfoliate your lips before applying the matte. Or if you're cheap like me just mix up some coconut oil and brown sugar and rub it on your lips to get any dead skin off. I personally don't use liner but if you want your lips to look fuller using a liner helps with that.

I've worn full makeup a few times, but that's only been for theatre productions. I didn't mind it, but I don't think it exactly made me look better. You could tell I was wearing makeup, and since I'm already not exactly a rugged guy it just made me look a bit too feminine.

If it didn't go against social standards I might wear things like concealer or other basic stuff, but if anyone realised I was wearing makeup I feel like it might do more harm than good for my self image. I kind of wish guys had an option like makeup that was socially acceptable and didn't look kind of feminine. No offense to any guys that do wear makeup.

If you do it right and get something that matches your skin no one should notice that you're wearing it. I have a friend who always wore concealer and foundation because he has pretty bad acne scars. I had no idea until he told me.

And damn do I miss that guyliner trend. It was everything to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users