• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:12 PM

As some of you might remember, Neocodex was planning on making an invitation modification to further screen the registrants of our forum. The modification was going great until we decided to scrap the project for now because it seemed a bit too overwhelming to write the modification, especially since it was our first one that we would ever write.

Lately you have seen both me and ShadowLink64 write some really good modifications for the board (SL will describe his in a later post). Shadowlink64 took on the security and internal side of modding whereas I went towards front-end feature modding. The results are si'mply extraordinary.

It is safe to say that the first modification you write will be your hardest one. In fact, that goes all the way to anything that you do. The first ti'me you do something, it will be most difficult. After that first ti'me, it will be a breeze. That was the case with modifications for both me and SL. After I wrote a couple small modifications, SL and I decided that perhaps it was ti'me to give the invite mod a whirl. It is quite a big modification that spans over 700 lines of code in more than 8 different board files. And of course, I had to release a huge modification to compete with SL’s recent IP Security modification.

I started early yesterday and worked all day to write the mod, and finished about two hours ago with some help from SL in both beta testing and debugging. I then documented the source code in the event that we have to reinstall it. I don’t want to have to reprogram this modification :p .

Anyway, to cut the matter short, Neocodex now will make full use of the Invitation modification! The wait is over. All of your friends that have wished to join our wonderful community can now do so!!!

But before I tell you how to use the invitation modification, I would like to tell you some cool features first. Without going into too much detail, the one thing I would like to shine light upon would be the revolutionary way the mod hands out invites to the members. Since it is very unfair to give invites out on a widespread scale (the inactive members also get an invite) and also poses a security risk (an inactive account suddenly becomes very valuable since it has usable invites), I have devised a method to hand out invites that solves both those problems. A script has been written that runs automatically every night at 12 AM GMT. This script checks your new post count from what it saw the last ti'me it ran. If you have 500 or more posts from the last ti'me the script ran, the script will give you 1 invite per 500 posts. This number of 500 will most likely go up as we do not want to lose the selectivity of our accounts on the internet. In a while, when the administrators deem fit, the 500 posts required to gain 1 invite will most likely change to 1000 posts.

Now you may be asking: “well, what about the posts that I have already made? Do I get invites for my previous activity?” the answer is: yes..you do get invitations for previous activity. The script has already been run and has given you invitations based on the 500 posts per invite number. If you have 2100 posts while reading this message, the script will have already given you 4 invitations which you may use to invite your friends and family. Of course, this does mean that administrators will no longer be making accounts. Those who have emailed us already asking for accounts will have registration ID’s made and we will allow them to register.

Ok, so you have gotten this far in reading this boring old news post. You want to know how to invite your friends already. The answer is really si'mple. Just go into my controls at the top of any page, then go down to Invite a user to Neocodex and click it. Here you will see three panels. One with the basic information of all the invitations you have and the number of people you have invited. The next one shows who exactly you have invited and on what date. The next is a form you can fill out to invite another user, given that you have invites to use. The form has been programmed to dispatch an email to your friends email address giving hi'm instructions on how to register. Its pretty self explanatory from here on.

Note: Checks have been added throughout the modification testing for the correct data so that hackers or people who desperately want an account can not get in unless they have a legiti'mate registration ID.

Note 2: There is potential for members to sell these invitations and I would like to let you all know right now that this is not permissible. If we see registration ID’s being sold, we will ban the user who generated the registration ID. The administrator panel that has been programmed can search for just about anything in regards to the invite system. Please do not sell registration ID’s and if you see them being sold, please contact an administrator I'mmediately. Neocodex is not yours to make a profit off of.

Note 3: uber thanks to SL for all the help in beta testing and debugging. I couldnt have done it without u. Oh, and thanks to elf for fixing a typo :p

Enjoy everyone! And please spread the word about Neocodex! The invitation modification is here!

Note to all guests that are reading this: You may be eligible for an account here at Neocodex. If you know someone on the forums, ask them for an invitation. You just might get one.

#2 Hidden.Elf

Hidden.Elf
  • 1797 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:14 PM

great job hydro and sl! these guys worked their asses off for these updates, and have made codex a better place :D

#3 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:17 PM

so dose this mean registrations wont be opend at all

oh and clap clap clap clap

#4 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:17 PM

Great job Hydrogen! Let the invites go out and erm.. invite people!

#5 SteWieH

SteWieH
  • 3423 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

congrads on getting them done and yea I'll be willing to invite people as well :D just gonna contact me :D

#6 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

so dose this mean registrations wont be opend at all

oh and clap clap clap clap

View Post

no, registrations will not be fully open but anyone with a registration key will be able to register just like they were open. if you want to test it out, log out and try to register :p

sweet ass mod hydro... mucho love... need to talk to you about a security risk that wasnt covered however...

View Post

thanks netbus, and sure :) , PM or msn? :)

#7 Crimson_3

Crimson_3
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hey hey hey! Good job you 2 :) Maybe we can get some more good members here at codex.

#8 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:22 PM

Sweett.. I was waiting for this before I got my account. Pretty cool man :)

#9 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

msn... get on your staff account cause you blocked me from your admin account... <_<

View Post

elf already informed me :) , sls mods protect from it ;) , once this topic dies down...sl will post about his modifications that he has made to the forum :) .

#10 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:25 PM

Yes! The invite mod! I've been waiting forever for this! Well doen Hydro :) :wub: 's the invite mod.

So does this mean wheover invites the person is liable for their actions?

#11 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:27 PM

Yes! The invite mod! I've been waiting forever for this! Well doen Hydro :) :wub: 's the invite mod.
So does this mean wheover invites the person is liable for their actions?

View Post

No, if you invite the person, you are not liable for their actions. We trust that you will invite sensible people but they are liable for their own actions. We do log however, who you have invited and can search through who you have invited and even who invited you (that wont be used yet :p ) but overall, you wont be held accountable for what they do.

#12 Dark_Sniper

Dark_Sniper
  • 1726 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:30 PM

cool man good job Hydro :D

#13 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

ok what privs will mod gets when it comes to seeing said logs... etc... LOL

View Post

for now, its only an admin thing. I might port it into UserCP later however.

#14 ZERO

ZERO
  • 1661 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

Yay this is awesome :D but 500 posts :o

#15 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:45 PM

500 posts is good maby to low of a number.

#16 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

I'm special... pwease can I have access to the logs? LOL... seriously... LOL

View Post

at a later ti'me when I get around to programming it, yes :)

500 posts is good maby to low of a number.

View Post

it will be raised at a later date :)

#17 SteWieH

SteWieH
  • 3423 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:50 PM

Hydro can we have the news section accessaible to those guest people? so they can see the full topic and who is willing to give invites and the such? or have an idea on the board that has people willing to give invites that the guest ould see? if I don't make sence then lemma know

#18 Hidden.Elf

Hidden.Elf
  • 1797 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:51 PM

right now they can see the news post, and that is it. I think its good that way, and I doubt it will change. this is all they need to see, and you should contact them outside of codex anyway for invites

#19 Stryyp

Stryyp
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:01 PM

Rawr, great job guys!

You.  PWN!

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:20 PM

I should really have 7 invitaions right now... but meh... its not like I'm going to use them anyway :p
thanks Hydro and Sl and all other admins :p

#21 MosNanDa

MosNanDa
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:20 PM

Nice add on Hydro, But what if well, See say someone wnats to join and they are on another neopets cheating site and u invite em and they use their account to get programs from here to there? Do u guys have filters? I have someone wants to join but id ont know if I should invite em ill PM u who they are as I dunw anna spread it out here.

#22 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:28 PM

Nice add on Hydro, But what if well, See say someone wnats to join and they are on another neopets cheating site and u invite em and they use their account to get programs from here to there? Do u guys have filters? I have someone wants to join but id ont know if I should invite em ill PM u who they are as I dunw anna spread it out here.

View Post

the codex checks should block them from using our programs anyway.

#23 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:43 PM

Geat job!! Two awesome mods so close together, thanks guys :) . I think it should be raised to 1000 though (even though you said it would be at a later date...maybe 700 now) since 500 is pretty easy to get...and now post counts really do kind of count :( . Still a great mod though :thumbsup:

the codex checks should block them from using our programs anyway.

View Post

The other members could use that person's account though.

#24 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

The other members could use that person's account though.

View Post

Sl's IP deny mod will block more than one IP from entering their account should they want that enabled.

#25 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

Sl's IP deny mod will block more than one IP from entering their account should they want that enabled.

View Post

But if the person plans on letting others on their account, why would they enable it  >_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users