I need book recommendations

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#26 mobster281

mobster281
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(Alex @ Sep 10 2006, 10:18 AM) View Post

I need to order a reading book, and I looked through amazon but didn't really find anything that looked worth reading. I thought about Fight Club but because I've seen the movie I think the suspense would be gone.
Can someone recommend me a good, thought provoking and original book?
Not something like Harry Potter ><

Get wise guys. Its what the movie goodfellas was based on

#27 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

I decided to bump this instead of making a new thread ^^

I'm currently reading The Bonfire of the Vanities and will be done with it shortly. So I need to order some new reading material before I'm done with it. I'm leaning towards an interesting historical biography, but am open to all suggestions.

#28 Krnsaber

Krnsaber
  • 3583 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

I thought Alex was back... :(

#29 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

I thought Alex was back... :(

I seriously did as well. :(

#30 necospes

necospes
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

I decided to bump this instead of making a new thread ^^

I'm currently reading The Bonfire of the Vanities and will be done with it shortly. So I need to order some new reading material before I'm done with it. I'm leaning towards an interesting historical biography, but am open to all suggestions.

If you like fantasies, then consider reading A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin. The first book of this series is A Game of Thrones.

#31 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:40 AM

Read Dante's Inferno and the rest of the Divine Comedy
One of the best reads I've read.

#32 tutfisken

tutfisken
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

You should read "The Hobbit" amazing book. Plus the movies are coming out in 2012!

#33 soulshin3

soulshin3
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

I seen a lot of Vinci and A&D recommendations but none for The Lost Symbol? It's the third installment of the series, not read it yet, but would suggest it.

I just got done reading Final Theory by Mark Alpert, great book. It's suspense/mystery story that is one of the best books I've ever read.

I'd also like some suspense genre suggestions if anyone has any.

#34 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

If you're into fantasy at all, I recommend the Belgariad and Malloreon series (5 books each) by David Eddings. The sense of humor makes it a lot easier to swallow than some high fantasy novels that like to make up billions of words.

#35 TheDealer

TheDealer
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

If you like suspense and terror books try Heart Shaped Box of Joe Hill :thumbsup:

#36 Darkthrone

Darkthrone
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:09 AM

I really enjoyed "The Electric Cool-Aid Acid Test" also by Tom Wolfe... It documents the story of a guy called Ken Kesey and his group of "Merry Pranksters". It follows the pranksters across the country driving in a psychedelic hippy painted school bus called "Further" reaching what they considered to be personal and collective revelations through the use of Acid and other psychedelic drugs. The book also tells of the "Acid Tests", early performances of The Grateful Dead.

If you like hippy shit and psychedelic drugs or if you liked Fear&Loathing it's a really interesting read.

I can also vouch for the series "A Song of Fire and Ice" which was mentioned further up.

#37 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

I really enjoyed "The Electric Cool-Aid Acid Test" also by Tom Wolfe... It documents the story of a guy called Ken Kesey and his group of "Merry Pranksters". It follows the pranksters across the country driving in a psychedelic hippy painted school bus called "Further" reaching what they considered to be personal and collective revelations through the use of Acid and other psychedelic drugs. The book also tells of the "Acid Tests", early performances of The Grateful Dead.

I actually thought of reading that book, not really because I'm interested in the hippie movement of the 60's but because how famous it was. I chose not to though, because my friend read it before and said it was interesting but relatively pointless. Thanks for the suggestion though :3

Edited by MsRose, 07 August 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#38 khan

khan
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

I'm into self-improvement books! "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" is really interesting; surprising how much you can learn about yourself and think back to the things you did "wrong" in relationships. ;D

#39 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

I'm into books that present transaggresive plots; stories that really make you think twice about turning the page. If you're interested try The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks or anything by Matthew Stokoe.

#40 Jaws

Jaws
  • 538 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

Well it really depends what kind of thought provoking you're looking for, I could tell you to read a book called: The shack, it's thought provoking but in a spiritual way... if not I find that listening to certain lectures works best

#41 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens is really good.It's about black history and stuff like that, but in a really interesting way. The book is pretty sad but I couldn't really put it down once I started reading it.

#42 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:22 AM

Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens is really good.It's about black history and stuff like that, but in a really interesting way. The book is pretty sad but I couldn't really put it down once I started reading it.

I love books like that. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is one of my top ten. I'll have to check it out, thanks :3

#43 vurty

vurty
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

anything by dan brown. try digital fortress or the lost symbol if you read angels and demons and the da vinci code

#44 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

bible, quran, talmud, satanic verses GO

#45 JorJor

JorJor
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

Some great books I've read recently are The Alchemist, The Celestine Prophecy, and Snowflower and the Secret Fan. I've also heard great things about The Hunger Games series

#46 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

Just finished the Hunger Games series...READ THEM! They were so addicting!

#47 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

for fantasy stuff i like the dark elf trilogy by RA salvatore

or the Forgotten realms avatar series
  • Shadowdale by Scott Ciencin—originally under the pen-name 'Richard Awlinson' (April 1989)
  • Tantras by Scott Ciencin—originally under the pen-name 'Richard Awlinson' (June 1989)
  • Waterdeep by Troy Denning—originally under the pen-name 'Richard Awlinson' (August 1989)
  • Prince of Lies by James Lowder (August 1993)
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad by Troy Denning (February 1998)

#48 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

I actually thought of reading that book, not really because I'm interested in the hippie movement of the 60's but because how famous it was. I chose not to though, because my friend read it before and said it was interesting but relatively pointless. Thanks for the suggestion though :3

You should read it. It's really good. If you've ever read a stream of consciousness book and enjoyed it, you will like Ken Kesey. Tom Wolfe is a bit of a pretentious prick (just check his author portrait in the cover) but he's got style. It's far from a pointless book.

satanic verses GO

Salman Rushdie = GREATNESS.

Personally, I just re-read Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Chosen series. Great AU fiction based in Medieval Europe. Main character is a courtesan though, and one who's tastes run to spices, and not sweets... but all the same it's a GREAT read, full of political intrigue, plots, diverse cast of characters, and a fucking brilliant villain.

#49 koalabear

koalabear
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

Digital fortress...the shining maybe? If you like scary books.

#50 mintos

mintos
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

I have to read young adult literature for my library courses and the best I've read was I Am Not A Serial Killer. It's about a sociopathic teen who is obsessed with serial killers and has all the makings of becoming one, but then a real serial killer starts killing around his town so he tries to go after the killer to sate his own urges. Its not the hardest or most thought provoking book, but it was a fresh read for me.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users