Photo

Calc help... deh

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jillian

jillian
  • 1160 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:42 PM

I coulda sworn we had a homework help board but I cannot find it, so yes.

I'm in the middle of an area problem, and I'm stumped. It's a silly question but can anyone tell me the antiderivative/integral of cos^3(t)? Surely it's not (cos^2(t))/3, right?

Wait... woah, trippy, it's 0, isn't it? but how does one realize that without looking at the graph?

Also, okay, the actual question is, "Find the area of the region enclosed by the astroid x=(a)(cos^3(t)), y=(a)(sin^3(t)). ... but is it just 0? can I do that?

confused. I hate calc.

#2 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:45 PM

The integral of Integral of cos(t)^3 = (9*Sin[t] + Sin[3*t])/12

Hopefully you can take it from there. Let me know if you need help. I did this stuff last quarter. Also, I didn't compute this integral by hand. I had an online software do it for me. I dont know if I want to give it to you just yet because if you are like me, you will use it too much and won't learn how to actually do the integrals and then be screwed on the test smile.gif. Let me know if you aren't like that. Then I will give it to you tongue.gif.

#3 jillian

jillian
  • 1160 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

*stares at it for a while* Oh. That's complicated. tongue.gif

Yeh, I had a terrible calc teacher last semester for introduction - add that to the fact that I was one of 3 kids in the whole intro class who hadn't had calc before and I was basically screwed. I don't understand any of it. ._. Thank you for your help, but yeah, I do feel silly answering when I don't know how to go about it. I guess I'll go to the teacher... Thanks darling. <3

#4 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

no problem tongue.gif. And don't think too much of the complexity of that integral. I think you just have to apply one of those tricks that you just have to know for integrals. Integrals are a pain in that way...

And give it your best shot smile.gif. Learn the basics well now, since later calculus gets much harder. I was actually wrong...I didn't do this stuff last quarter....I did this stuff exactly one year ago tongue.gif. The stuff i did last quarter involved volumes and integrals too...but it was like triple integrals to take the volume of any object in 3 dimensions...

smile.gif

You'll be fine smile.gif.

#5 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Feb 12 2007, 11:45 PM) View Post
The integral of Integral of cos(t)^3 = (9*Sin[t] + Sin[3*t])/12

Hopefully you can take it from there. Let me know if you need help. I did this stuff last quarter. Also, I didn't compute this integral by hand. I had an online software do it for me. I dont know if I want to give it to you just yet because if you are like me, you will use it too much and won't learn how to actually do the integrals and then be screwed on the test smile.gif. Let me know if you aren't like that. Then I will give it to you tongue.gif.

blink.gif
Did you get that by memory? Or did you look it up. Looks like one of those "Look in the back of the book for formula" instances =p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users