• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

Who goes fishing here? tongue.gif

I like going fishing because it's relaxing and I like to be able to eat what I catch later on (make fillets and fry it up with butter.. mmmm)

So for those who go fishing, what kind of fish do you encounter the most? Up here it's mostly norther pike, and walleye, but there's also whitefish and trout too.

I caught something two weeks ago...... a 65 cm (26 inch) pike (jack) fish. I fried it up later that day and it was an awesome meal. tongue.gif

#2 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

I miss fishing! When I was a child, my dad had a boat and we used to go out fishing, or just out on the lake a lot. He sold the boat though sad.gif

I never actually caught a fish, as I always was more interested in jumping off the front of the boat. haha.

#3 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

Gooood daaaang whenever you go fishing well I went once in lake arrowhead we got jack after like 6 hours of fishing. Is that like normal in canada to catch somethin every outting?

I cant believe you ate that!! You got balls man!!

#4 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Noitidart @ Jun 17 2007, 03:08 PM) View Post
Is that like normal in canada to catch somethin every outting?

Yeah, sometimes you can leave empty handed but other times the fish bite like crazy and you catch your limit in the first hour or two. tongue.gif And the fish wasn't really that big either, you can catch much bigger things.

#5 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:11 PM

When I'm bored as hell or when I go on my mates boat we will go fishing. Its only fun on a boat IMO though tongue.gif

#6 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Raui @ Jun 17 2007, 03:11 PM) View Post
When I'm bored as hell or when I go on my mates boat we will go fishing. Its only fun on a boat IMO though tongue.gif

Yeah, but sometimes it's fun fishing off the rocks too. At this lake I go to there's a huge belt of rocks that you can walk on and you can fish off it. I caught three fish that were large enough to keep that time, but it was over an entire day and we were camping there. tongue.gif

#7 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

First hour or two daaaaaaang!!!

And you cleaned it on your own and crap isn't there like a lot of sand in it.

Frickin long process huh how long did it take to clean and get it to a cooking point

#8 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(Noitidart @ Jun 17 2007, 04:15 PM) View Post
And you cleaned it on your own and crap isn't there like a lot of sand in it.

Frickin long process huh how long did it take to clean and get it to a cooking point

Well, cleaning the fish and stuff only takes about 10 minutes if you have a few fish, because you just have to find where the meat is and make fillets from it. There's no sand to worry about, and if there's sand on it you just rinse it off. tongue.gif

#9 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(ShadowLink64 @ Jun 18 2007, 09:13 AM) View Post
Yeah, but sometimes it's fun fishing off the rocks too. At this lake I go to there's a huge belt of rocks that you can walk on and you can fish off it. I caught three fish that are large enough to be kept that time, but it was over an entire day and we were camping there. tongue.gif

Oh rock fishing can be fun. By rock fishing I'm talking about up on cliffs though. When I went away for a week in the 3rd term school holidays last year we went rock fishing and my mate nearly caught a 1 meter long tailor, well at least thats what my mates pop said. He was the only one who saw it lol. Then I caught a sting ray and we fed it biscuits tongue.gif

#10 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(Raui @ Jun 17 2007, 04:18 PM) View Post
Oh rock fishing can be fun. By rock fishing I'm talking about up on cliffs though. When I went away for a week in the 3rd term school holidays last year we went rock fishing and my mate nearly caught a 1 meter long tailor, well at least thats what my mates pop said. He was the only one who saw it lol. Then I caught a sting ray and we fed it biscuits tongue.gif

1 meter, holy crap that must have been long.... blink.gif Haha we don't have sting ray here so I would probably be very weirded out if I caught one. laugh.gif

#11 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

I've never had much luck with trolling.... I like jigging or casting in still lake water the best. tongue.gif

#12 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(ShadowLink64 @ Jun 17 2007, 04:58 PM) View Post
I've never had much luck with trolling.... I like jigging or casting in still lake water the best. tongue.gif

I love to fish smile.gif I'm not a big fish eater, but I love to fish smile.gif

I'm not so good with jigging (No confidence), I love using crankbaits though. I've had some luck trolling, but I prefer standing in the little rowboat we use and cast smile.gif

For the most part I only fish a small lake in Mid/Northern Minnesota. That lake has a lot of Northern, bass, and panfish. I don't think there are any walleye, but I could be wrong. If I ever catch one there, well, I guess they are in the lake wink.gif I don't think there is enough bottom structure for them though.

QUOTE(ShadowLink64 @ Jun 17 2007, 04:09 PM) View Post
Yeah, sometimes you can leave empty handed but other times the fish bite like crazy and you catch your limit in the first hour or two. tongue.gif And the fish wasn't really that big either, you can catch much bigger things.

I know how that goes. You can be getting hammered all day long or you can get skunked 1we8.gif

I do a lot of fishing for northern/bass. Panfish are okay, just not as fun to catch, and since I don't fillet/eat them, theres no need to go after them smile.gif C&R all the way!

I love the lake I fish though- I'll take pics next time I go. Its a great lake- Nice and private, virtually untouched. So I basically can throw whatever I want and the fish haven't seen it a trillion times smile.gif

#13 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

Fishing today... caught a ~15 inch trout... gave it to a guy on shore. Other day I had on a ~4 lb trout... but the hook popped out sad.gif Got a 2 1/2 lb in the deep freeze =o

#14 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

We have a huge river just down the road from us (St. John River). Fun to fish in, but most of the fish are small and all of them are unfit to eat because the lakes hugely polluted. Mostly ugly perch chill out in that river.

There are some good little streams out in the back woods that I'll actually eat fish from. I tend to catch trout from them.

#15 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE(Brandon @ Jun 17 2007, 11:13 PM) View Post
We have a huge river just down the road from us (St. John River). Fun to fish in, but most of the fish are small and all of them are unfit to eat because the lakes hugely polluted. Mostly ugly perch chill out in that river.

There are some good little streams out in the back woods that I'll actually eat fish from. I tend to catch trout from them.

How d'you kill the trout? I use my thumbs to break their necks... but like... if I can't and their necks are too strong, I have to use a paddle sad.gif And then I feel bad sad.gif

#16 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Kitsune @ Jun 17 2007, 11:17 PM) View Post
So you have no problem with hurting animals that can feel pain but you feel bad for killing fish which don't exactly suffer.

Exactly. Because the fish, I try to kill, but like... am squeezing their necks really hard, which is really hurtful xD And so they feel pain.
Until they die 1we8.gif From a paddle. tongue.gif The animals I kill, don't do "pain" tongue.gif I don't miss Rabbits... They always die within ~1 minute of shooting 1we8.gif I mean... they've probably got mad adrenaline, anyways... And moose... well... I'd say they've got adrenaline too... because when they run, after a gunshot, it's not because they're hurt, it's because of the massive bang scaring them shitless. Bow = they don't exactly run... they just start to walk, then topple over... 1we8.gif Besides, the fish didn't even have a fighting chance xD Then again... damnit, ask me when I'm awake >_<

#17 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

Have I ever FISHED? I used to go fishing with my Pawpaw ALL the time when I was little... I never really baited me own hooks or anything but I do remember catching things.

But down "here" we have mostly ehhh catfish and brim I think. I could be wrong because I don't fish anymore. But I know catfish IS GOOD! HOMG! I love baked catfish. Awesome stuffs.

I haven't been fishing in years... and I know it wouldn't be the same now because everything excited me as a child...

#18 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

I used to go on weekend fishing trips with my dad a few years ago. We fished mainly for Carp but we always put them straight back....no eating carp allowed lol. Recently there has been a lot of Polish people coming to live in the Uk and Carp is a delicasy to them....suffice to say the fact that they have been stealing carp and eating them from lakes is causing a little trouble lol.

Cant beat the fight a Carp puts up though, they are intelligent too (sounds weird, but its true) not to mention a nice fish to look at although they can be a little slimy sometimes. I hate pike, they are real ugly!!!

#19 fruglemonkey

fruglemonkey
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:40 PM

Spear fishing ftw. =p

#20 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(fruglemonkey @ Jun 18 2007, 12:40 AM) View Post
Spear fishing ftw. =p

Except for the fact that you cant practice C&R spear fishing 1we8.gif

Oaken, you think pike are bad? Bullheads are worse. If I catch a bullhead I just cut the line.

Edited by Hawk, 17 June 2007 - 10:42 PM.

#21 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:48 PM

I cant stand Pike at all lol they are fugly. I cut the line if I catch a crayfish, they are like crabs for those of you that dont know thumbsup.gif Can you post a pic of a Bull head? I have no idea what one is.

#22 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE(ShadowLink64 @ Jun 17 2007, 05:17 PM) View Post
Well, cleaning the fish and stuff only takes about 10 minutes if you have a few fish, because you just have to find where the meat is and make fillets from it. There's no sand to worry about, and if there's sand on it you just rinse it off. tongue.gif

Ok, well since meat turns into meat I made the filter turn meat into meat and that made the post read reallllly weird

Bull head:
http://fish.dnr.corn...ck_bullhead.jpg

#23 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

Are they spikes on the bull fishes head?

#24 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:02 PM

i've never been, when my dad was growing up on hawaii he used to be into spear fishing though

#25 Kitchwa

Kitchwa
  • 3256 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:38 AM

Man I haven't gone fishing in over 6 months tongue.gif. I used to go out in my dads boat. Good times. good times tongue.gif.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users