9 out of 10 americans want to ban texting while driving

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:30 AM

Click here

I for one have been a witness of what can happen when you text and drive. I was waiting at a bus stop here in Vegas, along with another woman and an old man, and I decided since the bus wouldn't come for another half an hour, I would get a monster from 7-11. I come back and I see an SUV parked in the damn bus stop. its all barked up, everything smashed to bits. I have my wife pick me up, and I go home, and i see on the news that the old man i was sitting next to died in that accident. a woman was texting while driving her ford explorer, and plowed right into the bus stop.

they aren't going to rebuild that stop, so I have to walk ANOTHER couple blocks to get on the bus. I also visited the old mans family that next week to give my condolences. people that do this shit makes me sick. its a different thing than TALKING and driving. some people can affectively drive and talk at the same time. but texting needs constant attention, and so does driving. texting while driving, in my opinion needs to be a felony.

#2 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:54 AM

Wow that's bad 1we8.gif Was the lady ok?
Texting whilst driving doesn't seem too much of a problem here, I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing it.

#3 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(SidaZoid @ Aug 8 2007, 07:54 AM) View Post
Wow that's bad 1we8.gif Was the lady ok?
Texting whilst driving doesn't seem too much of a problem here, I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing it.

the lady was fine. she tried to move the man out of the way, but she quickly realized that if she tried any longer, they would both die...I seriouly dont think I could live with that myself...

#4 Magma

Magma
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

Whoever is stupid enough to text while driving should be revoked of their right to own a cell phone. Talking is one thing cause you can still keep your eyes on the road, but texting!?!?!? You think people were raised well enough to know not to do much more than talking when driving. The world is loosing common sense one person at a time...

#5 SupermanFTM

SupermanFTM
  • 5817 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

That is pretty funny. Why would you even need to text while you drive in the first place? I agree, not good for others on the road wink.gif

#6 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(SupermanFTM @ Aug 8 2007, 05:45 PM) View Post
That is pretty funny.

It is? blink.gif

#7 lookie1st

lookie1st
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

I wouldn't say this is funny, it's horrible. People lose their lives every day cause people are multi tasking in the car. Talking on the phone is 1 thing, but I guess some people never heard of hands free or a blue tooth. Some states already have a law against this, others are a little behind, but I think soon this will be a law across the US.

#8 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

This is horrible. I feel really really bad for the older man. That's so sad!!!
All because of someone's texting.

I can text without looking.... I have used my phone for so long I don't even have to look to
text a message back.
But I don't text much whilst driving anyways. I get where I'm going first. I wouldn't want some shit like this to happen because of me.
Absolutely terrible...

#9 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE(Dudeonline @ Aug 8 2007, 07:30 AM) View Post
Click here
I for one have been a witness of what can happen when you text and drive. I was waiting at a bus stop here in Vegas, along with another woman and an old man, and I decided since the bus wouldn't come for another half an hour, I would get a monster from 7-11. I come back and I see an SUV parked in the damn bus stop. its all barked up, everything smashed to bits. I have my wife pick me up, and I go home, and i see on the news that the old man i was sitting next to died in that accident. a woman was texting while driving her ford explorer, and plowed right into the bus stop.

they aren't going to rebuild that stop, so I have to walk ANOTHER couple blocks to get on the bus. I also visited the old mans family that next week to give my condolences. people that do this shit makes me sick. its a different thing than TALKING and driving. some people can affectively drive and talk at the same time. but texting needs constant attention, and so does driving. texting while driving, in my opinion needs to be a felony.

I remember that; all over the news, too.

#10 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

I admittedly e-mail on my treo while driving just because people require me to be constantly available...However, teens new to driving certainly have enough to be worried about without texting. A felony though? C'mon...Driving while intoxicated isn't even a felony.

#11 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:23 AM

Well honestly I don't even approve of talking while on your cell phone. There have been several times I have almost been hit by people because they were talking on their cell phone not paying attention to the yeild sign on the entrance to the highway. I mean it's rediculous. I mean I guess it's alright if you're on the highway, on cruise control, and no one's really around but seriously driving should require all your attention.

#12 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(Cript @ Aug 8 2007, 10:00 AM) View Post
I admittedly e-mail on my treo while driving just because people require me to be constantly available...However, teens new to driving certainly have enough to be worried about without texting. A felony though? C'mon...Driving while intoxicated isn't even a felony.

IMO its worse than driving drunk,. And you justifying this, it makes me a bit queasy, but you have your opinions, and I have mine...

#13 snickaflicka

snickaflicka
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:20 AM

this kind of stuff is really bad in LA. kids steal cars all the time and then they panic and start driving really fast. they start texting or talking to a friend and try to run a red light and boom. someones hurt

#14 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(Dudeonline @ Aug 8 2007, 12:27 PM) View Post
IMO its worse than driving drunk,. And you justifying this, it makes me a bit queasy, but you have your opinions, and I have mine...

I'm not justifying it...what are you talking about?

I'm simply saying why I do it...I absolutely know it's wrong and I hate the society we live in for forcing us to live such fast paced tech-dependent lives.

I do it minimally, only when no cars are near me...and I don't talk unless I'm on a major highway.

#15 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

I personally, have gotten very good at texting while driving. Perhaps it was because I learned to drive and text at the same time? I don't know, its easy for me.

#16 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

What a selfish bitch. Too bad that guy died... I agree, it SHOULD be a felony dry.gif

#17 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:25 PM

I've noticed alot of my friends and family now get other people to answer their phone, or pull over to do so. It makes sense really.

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/6652787.stm

Now the above link is stupid..

#18 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:43 PM

Yeh, that might be stupid but personally I don't like seeing it myself but that's because here a lot of people flick butts out the windows. Where I live it's a desert so basically when they do that it's a large risk for fire v_v

#19 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:13 PM

Well there are ashtrays in cars, if people just used them more..

Plus you get a on the spot 50 quid/$100 dollar fine.

#20 astrologically

astrologically
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

Well it definately isn't safe that's why I think people should like make a voice sensor so you can talk, and then it texts for you... But why not just call someone then like put it on spkrphone and lay it on the dashboard? Geezies

#21 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:43 PM

yea I agree it should be banned, some may be able to do it, but others think they can but in reality they cant.

#22 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:15 PM

What are you from, Los Angeles (Spanish For City Of Selfish pricks who think they're the only ones who matter)? We don't need another bullshit law about your car if it's not nessecary. there aren't nearly enough cases.

#23 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(Athean @ Aug 9 2007, 04:15 PM) View Post
What are you from, Los Angeles (Spanish For City Of Selfish pricks who think they're the only ones who matter)? We don't need another bullshit law about your car if it's not nessecary. there aren't nearly enough cases.

No, I'm from Las Vegas where it happens everywhere you go. Ive been nearly ran off the road 5 times this year because of that same reason. Don't come in here trolling this thread if you don't know what you're talking about. if you're just trying to stir shit, then you fail, if you don't know what you're talking about, you fail, so you, sir, fail miserably.

P.S - it's spelled "necessary"

you fail twice.

Edited by Dudeonline, 09 August 2007 - 04:38 PM.

#24 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Dudeonline @ Aug 9 2007, 09:00 PM) View Post
No, I'm from Las Vegas where it happens everywhere you go. Ive been nearly ran off the road 5 times this year because of that same reason. Don't come in here trolling this thread if you don't know what you're talking about. if youre just trying to stir shit, then you fail, if you dont know what you're talking about, you fail, so you, sir, fail miserably.

P.S - it's spelled "necessary"

you fail twice.

HARRAZZZZZZZZMENT! tongue.gif

#25 phalkon

phalkon
  • 2399 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

i've texted and driven... not often, and not usually more than "on my way" or "goin home", but yeah... it would suck if i got fined for it.

but i guess if people are like, holding conversations... then yeah... that's barked up

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users