Bacteria in space thrives

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:56 PM

If a creature leaves the planet, mutates into something more powerful and then comes back to Earth, can you call it an alien? Well, if they're not, they should be: in an experiment, samples of the Salmonella bacteria was brought to space and when they came back to Earth they were deadlier than ever.

The study was aimed at finding out how space travel affects germs. The experiment involved two groups of Salmonella: one on Earth and one taken on the Space Shuttle STS-115 last year.

The batch on Earth were placed under the same temperature, humidity and other conditions as the one in outer space. The only difference is that the batch in space wasn't subjected to Earth's gravity.

After the specimens from space came back to Earth, it was found that they were more potent and lethal than the ones who stayed behind. The Earth Bacteria and the Space Bacteria were both fed to mice. It was found that the ones who were fed the Space Bacteria were three times more likely to get sick or die.

Scientists believe that the Salmonella changed to become Supersalmonella because of the lack of gravity. Without it, the flow of fluids in living cells would change, and in effect the organism would have to adapt to survive. The results of the Super Salmonella experiment led to some pretty interesting conclusions and implications.

Concerns were raised about the germs and bacteria that are inside human bodies: would astronauts be safe or would they be human incubators for some sort of super alien bacteria? (No, it was found they don't have anything to worry about, at least in the short term.) The study will also help scientists understand how bacteria responds to a stressful environment. Studying this kind of behavior may help to combat diseases caused by them.

Source: New York Times

Interesting to say the least. What do you guys think ?

Discuss

#2 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:22 AM

I think you are trying to spread panic with a sensational story. wtg tongue.gif

#3 Casterous

Casterous
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:32 AM

Omg I'm never leaving my house again "goes to wash EVERYTHING*

#4 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:04 AM

I hope you know they never released this out in the wild ? It was controlled in a lab...until the evil salomonella turned into a monster and ate j00 tongue.gif

#5 emme80

emme80
  • 700 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:52 AM

that does make you think, what if (the magic saying)

#6 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

This doesn't mean anything...

What it implies is that our government is interested in germ warfare. Again. We said we were done in the 70s when they shut down the anthrax production and such, but this seems critically close to the same thing. Engineer a sample of Salmonella to be super strong but microscopically identical to regular salmonella and then introduce it to your enemies' people. They die and you never get implemented because it looks natural.

Edited by redlion, 26 September 2007 - 12:16 PM.

#7 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(redlion @ Sep 26 2007, 03:15 PM) View Post
This doesn't mean anything...

What it implies is that our government is interested in germ warfare. Again. We said we were done in the 70s when they shut down the anthrax production and such, but this seems critically close to the same thing. Engineer a sample of Salmonella to be super strong but microscopically identical to regular salmonella and then introduce it to your enemies' people. They die and you never get implemented because it looks natural.

hah my thoughts exactly, i was going to post just that until i refreshed and saw yours.

but, if they were intending to use salmonella against other countries i doubt think announcing their discovery it to the media/world would be on the to-do list haha.gif

Edited by nox, 26 September 2007 - 12:22 PM.

#8 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:17 PM

Yeh... I think it'd probably just be for research 1we8.gif

#9 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:38 PM

"changed to become Supersalmonella"

I love that word tongue.gif
That's pretty interesting. I think it's amazing how they can adapt so quickly to such a new environment.

#10 foogie

foogie
  • 5818 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

they don't send astronauts into space who have STDs...... do they?? D:

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users