• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#326 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

Yeah I would hope that's not what she'd want. but who knows? She's really into it... "might become a pastor" that into it :S

#327 Devilfish

Devilfish
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

How old is she?

#328 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

Yeah I would hope that's not what she'd want. but who knows? She's really into it... "might become a pastor" that into it :S

She's protestant then?

#329 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

*nods*. She is 18, as am I. That young and already that serious :o

#330 Devilfish

Devilfish
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:29 AM

Well, 18 is the age you need to start thinking about your future, young as it is. Is the problem that you're not religious or do you have strong feelings against religion? If it's the first, I say be honest, live and let live. It shouldn't be a problem unless either of you makes it into one. If it's the second, well, I don't know you guys, but I'd say you're probably not a very good match.

#331 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

No, i'm not against religion at all. I believe in God, just don't believe he's all powerful. And yeah, it's just complicated because we were best friends before we went out bla bla bla so it wasn't that big a deal before. Now that we're dating... it's a little awkward at times.

#332 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

I believe in God, just don't believe he's all powerful.

Whats your definition of god then :S

#333 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

Sorry, I mean I believe there's a God who COULD do anything, but he doesn't all the time. He isn't part of every single person's life and he doesn't oversee every single event in life.

#334 Devilfish

Devilfish
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

I don't think it'll be a problem unless you let it become one. If it's getting weird for you, talk to her before it gets annoying. Once you start to annoy eachother, it's very hard to come back from that. I mean, we're just a random spluttering sound in the intertubes, she's the one who can actually make things better. She has a right to know there's a problem and help solve it. Give her a chance.

Edited by Devilfish, 29 January 2010 - 04:42 PM.

#335 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

Well i told her that when we first started going out and she said "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it"

Thought it was a good idea at the time...

#336 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, well, I think it's really weird that people have this need to be part of a deity fan club even if they intend on breaking the rules from the start. A person with webbed toes is not a duck. He may want to be a duck, he may desperately call himself a duck and show his freaky stinky toes to everyone he pleases, but he's not a damn duck. He hasn't got a bill, or feathers, or any of that ducky stuff.

That's how I see religion. You can love your neighbor until you're blue in the face, and kudos for that, but until you start believing dudes humping dudes is a sin and Satan is out to get you, you're not a Catholic. You're just a Christian-inspired nice guy. Which sounds like it should be good enough for anyone, but for some strange reason, that doesn't seem to be the case. I think that's very, very strange.

What the hell is the point of living a good life if you're doing it out of fear? It's pointless, and takes the fun out of spirituality anyways. I don't do drugs anymore, but I don't do it out of the fear that God is going to punish me, I do it because theres a beauty to life inside and outside me that makes not doing drugs much more joyful than doing them. Whats really sad too is you have a lot of atheists, hardcore scientific types, that know this much better than a large population of Christianity, who choose to wallow in ignorance and resistance instead of reality.

#337 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

I strongly believe there is no 'god'. No afterlife, no reincarnation, and no soul.
I think it is completely insane and completely sickening to me.
But then again, I have respect for people who believe because I find it completely unfathomable to believe in something so much. To be ready to do something so radical, to ensure your place in heaven, like some do. PUHLEASE. But if it makes you happy and a good citizen, than thats awesome. Just don't look down on other people or shove your bible in their face. I can't stand bible thumpers.
I am only interested in tru fax.
What I can see and what I can touch.

#338 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:25 AM

I strongly believe there is no 'god'. No afterlife, no reincarnation, and no soul.
I think it is completely insane and completely sickening to me.
But then again, I have respect for people who believe because I find it completely unfathomable to believe in something so much. To be ready to do something so radical, to ensure your place in heaven, like some do. PUHLEASE. But if it makes you happy and a good citizen, than thats awesome. Just don't look down on other people or shove your bible in their face. I can't stand bible thumpers.
I am only interested in tru fax.
What I can see and what I can touch.

So you're willing to completely dismiss the possibility of their being a God? PUHLEASE. I think it is completely insane and completely sickening to me that people are willing to discount the idea of creation when our knowledge of the universe is so limited. Some of the greatest minds of our age believed in the possibility of their being a God, as do I. I'm not talking about a large man in white robes and a beard who watches over us at night and listens to our prayers; religion is crap.

I just think it's arrogant to dismiss the possibility of the creation of our universe when too little information is known.

#339 RaeveN

RaeveN
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:52 AM

quite honestly, my argument to any "christian" is that it matters not where your faith lies, just that you have it. belief in something does not necessarily mean you give your every waking moment to god.

Your believe in something.. at all; even in yourself is a form of faith and therefore can be considered a religious belief.

but an actual answer to the question at hand.. It doesn't matter to me if there is a lack of scientific proof, I believe there is a higher power, I don't denounce the christian form of "god" I personaly just chose not to worship "him"

Incidentally, a more direct answer... I believe in goddess. We all come from the earth. and that there is scientific proof of ;)

#340 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:03 AM

It doesn't matter to me if there is a lack of scientific proof, I believe there is a higher power

While there is no scientific proof to support creation, there is no scientific proof to dispute it either. Sure, science can tell you what most likely occurred in the first moment of the big bang, but it provides no explanation of its cause.

Edited by Artificial, 05 February 2010 - 04:04 AM.

#341 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:15 AM

While there is no scientific proof to support creation, there is no scientific proof to dispute it either. Sure, science can tell you what most likely occurred in the first moment of the big bang, but it provides no explanation of its cause.

*evidence

And you're right, there's no evidence that refutes "creation" in general, because it's totally nonspecific. "Creation" tells us absolutely nothing.

As for specific theistic creation stories, there's plenty of evidence to trash those.

#342 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:03 AM

you can also see 'creation' in a more physical sense: how the earth got created, how all living beings are somehow connected (dna and such, and how we need eachother to survive)
isnt that 'god' in some kind of way? not god then, but more 'mother earth'

#343 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

you can also see 'creation' in a more physical sense: how the earth got created, how all living beings are somehow connected (dna and such, and how we need eachother to survive)
isnt that 'god' in some kind of way? not god then, but more 'mother earth'

Seems like pointless obfuscation to me...

#344 schne867

schne867
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

Need pics or it's not real applies here for me :)

Need pics or it's not real applies here for me :)

#345 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:52 AM

Saying "there's no proof for religion" is as ignorant as the religious people saying "you don't need proof"

#346 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

Saying "there's no proof for religion" is as ignorant as the religious people saying "you don't need proof"

Really?
Can you provide some evidence for the truth of any specific religion?

#347 RaeveN

RaeveN
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

and this is true... this is why i debate all of the time with people.. I believe there is a higher power.. and that may be god or what have you. But myself, and all others are so small in comparison to the entire universe...so no one can ACTUAL know the truth. For all we know god could be a small pigme man with a spear hiding under the left side of your dresser, waiting to stab your feet if you don't change your underwear.

#348 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:35 PM

And you're right, there's no evidence that refutes "creation" in general, because it's totally nonspecific. "Creation" tells us absolutely nothing. Specific theistic creation stories, there's plenty of evidence to trash those.

Did OP ask for specifics? Topic title is 'Do you believe in God', which last time I checked had different meanings to different people. God is directly linked to creation, so to discuss one is to discuss the other. You're very first post in this topic was 'No', which I can only assume means you're interpretation of the word was from a Christian standpoint. Obvious answer is obvious. Anybody with an even average IQ should be able to dismiss religion as the work of fanatics, whose existence today derives from the fact that it has been taught as the sacred truth for thousands of years.

http://en.wikipedia....ussell's_teapot

If we disregard religion, then all that's left is the possibility of creation, which may or may not have been the result of a higher power. Sure it's nonspecific, but the truth is there are no specifics when attempting to bridge science with theology. It's easy to hide behind that keyboard of yours and refute the posts of pro-religious members in this thread, but I haven't seen you discuss your own beliefs even once. I take it then, that you're an atheist; a word of Greek descent which roughly translates to 'no God'. While you may have provided logical explanations regarding the fallacies of Christianity, all you have seemingly disproved is the existence of the Christian God. You don't win a debate by solely discussing the flaws of the opposing argument, you have to discuss your own.

So tell me, why isn't there a God?

#349 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

Which is why agnosticism is the way to go!

#350 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:34 PM

yeah! the cop out religion! (i'm agnostic too is why I say this :p)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users