Photo

Do you believe in god?

• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#351 youno

youno
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

i try to becuase i figure why not take a chance in a god i dont know what religion i am though and i dont go to church but i just try to have some faith you know

#352 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

So tell me, why isn't there a God?

Your entire post is based on the mistaken idea that atheism is a positive claim.
Which it is not.

I simply have no belief in God. I don't believe there is no god.
These are not the same thing.

#353 elia

elia
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

i don't believe in god because there isn't any physical proof

#354 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:59 AM

i have now for a long time, but could someone please clarify on the whole adam and ever concept. i dont understand how, if they were white how do we have all sorts of colors? im very interested.

#355 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

i have now for a long time, but could someone please clarify on the whole adam and ever concept. i dont understand how, if they were white how do we have all sorts of colors? im very interested.

Mutants, all of them.

#356 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

According to the Bible, everyone was the same, up until they tried to build the Tower of Babel.

#357 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

According to the Bible, everyone was the same, up until they tried to build the Tower of Babel.

I was taught that it was Noah's sons. One was white, one was black, and one was yellow.

The whole thing makes me lol

#358 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

haha i'm pretty sure it was the tower of babel xD. Although even by evolution we were all the same race, but then when the continents broke up, we just naturally selected into our different races.

So the same argument could be said the same for creation.

#359 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

I thought that was just in regards to language?

So god's punishment is diversity?

#360 chibiace

chibiace
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:47 AM

No I do not believe in religion, now do I believe in a god or goddess? Yes, yes I do, but I don't believe they force their will on us, they are just there so if we screw something up, we don't kill ourselves.

#361 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:53 AM

They are just there so if we screw something up, we don't kill ourselves.

I assume you mean as a race, rather than individually?

#362 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

no

#363 MasterJunpei

MasterJunpei
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

yes

i take the stance that quite a few people take.

So I take a chance on religion and believe in god. The christianity type. The way I look at it, it is a win win situation. So say there is a god. I've lived my life the way I was taught so on and so forth, follow the rules etc. I get to go to heaven and not burn in lakes of fire for all eternity. Say there isn't one. Well I spent my life, not too much of my time on religion, skipped out on a few things that could be argued weren't really all that healthy for me anyway and am in the same boat as everyone else.

#364 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

yes

i take the stance that quite a few people take.

So I take a chance on religion and believe in god. The christianity type. The way I look at it, it is a win win situation. So say there is a god. I've lived my life the way I was taught so on and so forth, follow the rules etc. I get to go to heaven and not burn in lakes of fire for all eternity. Say there isn't one. Well I spent my life, not too much of my time on religion, skipped out on a few things that could be argued weren't really all that healthy for me anyway and am in the same boat as everyone else.

Why Christianity over Islam, Judaism, Jainism etc. And even then, what branch of Christianity? There are so many
Pretty sure legitimate belief is a requirement to get into Christian heaven and belief can't exactly be forced, even if theoretically you obeyed the dozens of absurd rules (dozens probably an understatement), your lack of belief would condemn you

#365 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

Why Christianity over Islam, Judaism, Jainism etc. And even then, what branch of Christianity? There are so many
Pretty sure legitimate belief is a requirement to get into Christian heaven and belief can't exactly be forced, even if theoretically you obeyed the dozens of absurd rules (dozens probably an understatement), your lack of belief would condemn you

Yep I'm pretty sure its all in or nothing..but I don't believe in "salvation" I belive in actions speak louder then words (aka Good Deeds). I wouldn't want to share a heaven with a convicted child molester/murderer just because he said those "magic words" and was saved..

#366 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

Yep I'm pretty sure its all in or nothing..but I don't believe in "salvation" I believe in actions speak louder then words (aka Good Deeds). I wouldn't want to share a heaven with a convicted child molester/murderer just because he said those "magic words" and was saved..

This is what makes me angry about religion. The child molester can "repent" and get into heaven.... but the homosexual person has to be something he/she is not in order to do so... they have to "repent" by "choosing" to fight a chemical imbalance in their brain.

I'm glad it is okay for a person to have down syndrome and get into heaven otherwise that entire population would be damned to hell, just like the gay people. :sarcasm: (according to God's written word)

This is why I believe that man created God so that they could be sexist, racist, misogynistic, and a million other things and get away with it because, "God said so," so it must be okay.

It is like the whole, Jesus was a man, but he was a perfect man.
FACT: You can't be a man and be perfect.

:p Unless you're JCR or Sweeney.

Edited by jsteinberg, 19 February 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#367 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

FACT: You can't be a man and be perfect.

Posted Image Unless you're JCR or Sweeney.

I'd like to add Johnny Depp to this list.

#368 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

I'd like to add Johnny Depp to this list.

I second that nomination.

#369 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:39 AM

Strong atheism is a term popularly used to describe atheists who claim the statement "There is at least one god" is false. Weak atheism refers to any other type of non-theism, wherein a person does not believe any deities exist, but does not claim that same statement is false.

"Weak atheist" is probably the closest thing that describes me. I do not hold a belief in a God, but I can't make a positive claim that there is no God, much like I can't say for sure that Russell's teapot is not in orbit around the sun. I am comfortable in my beliefs (or lack thereof). ;)

#370 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:01 AM

"Weak atheist" is probably the closest thing that describes me. I do not hold a belief in a God, but I can't make a positive claim that there is no God, much like I can't say for sure that Russell's teapot is not in orbit around the sun. I am comfortable in my beliefs (or lack thereof). ;)

You're an agnostic atheist :p Just like every other intellectually honest atheist.

To claim gnostic atheism is just as irrational as gnostic theism.

#371 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

You're an agnostic atheist :p Just like every other intellectually honest atheist.

Hmm, I was under the impression that they were more or less the same thing. Alright. :p

#372 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

You all forgot "angry atheist" where a person is so angry because their life sucks for some reason (sick or someone they loved died etc). Their rationale is "No god would do this to me/him/her. Since it happened there isn't a god".

IMO there are A LOT of 'angry athiests' and of course they aren't true atheists. I use to be one of these types..

Edited by chobitz, 20 February 2010 - 11:21 AM.

#373 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

Hmm, I was under the impression that they were more or less the same thing. Alright. :p

They are :p
I just prefer the proper terms, rather than making it sound like a cocktail xD

#374 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

I think religion is inherently evil. By submitting to the Christian god, for example, you're believing and hoping the billions of people who don't will burn for eternity, while you relax in some paradise. And you can't say you don't hope that's the reality, it's the main reason people are religious. Fear.

EDIT: By the way, religions like Buddhism and Shinto are not quite inherently evil, in my opinion, just foolish. I place science,w hat has been proven, in front of ancient superstition.

Edited by buggy08, 21 February 2010 - 09:39 AM.

#375 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

I think religion is inherently evil. By submitting to the Christian god, for example, you're believing and hoping the billions of people who don't will burn for eternity, while you relax in some paradise. And you can't say you don't hope that's the reality, it's the main reason people are religious. Fear.

EDIT: By the way, religions like Buddhism and Shinto are not quite inherently evil, in my opinion, just foolish. I place science,w hat has been proven, in front of ancient superstition.

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." Leviticus 20:13

"If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity." Deuteronomy 25:11-12

"The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, ... Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community... Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death." Exodus 31:12-15

God sounds lovely, doesn't He?

Edited by Artificial, 21 February 2010 - 04:57 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users